• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which species? (1 Viewer)

sparky77

Hi all,

Here goes my first attempt to attach a picture to a message, the question is what is it? The picture was not taken by me, and has not been modified in any way.

Sparky.

Attachments

• DGVN Stint1.jpg
    DGVN Stint1.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 272
Hi Michael,

Taken by Paul archer, Waterford, Ireland a few months ago. Was first identified as a rarity, but with these pictures was re-identified as a less rare species, sanderling was not mentioned though.

Sparky.

I would have said Sanderling also. Only thing that looks a little off is the White superciliary being turned up at the back of the head.

I think it's got a good chance of being a Semipalmated Sandpiper. Heavier bill, no clear mantle stripes, yet it has the dark-centered wing coverts. (And juv. Sanderling's got 'way more contrast between black of mantle spots and white under)

Good to see you back on the boards Charles, your wit and wisdom have been missed.

I'll take a closer look at the stint when I have time but my first reaction is a greyish Little.

Spud

I have to say if this appeared on the mud in front of my house I'd be going hell for leather to see if it palmations.

When was it taken? I am assuming relatively late in the season.

Its Little/Red-necked or Semi-P. It looks a bit short-winged for Red-necked, though the bill is pretty chunky, but certainly not a classic semi-P. So I'd guess at big dull Litlte stint..... but I'd still be trying to see palmations!

I still haven't had a chance to look very closely at this but the things that immediately put me off semi-p are the solidly dark centred lower scaps, the obvious split supercillium, peaked head shape and strong breast side patches. I know that the occasional sem-p could show each of these features but I doubt one could show them all at once.

The bird seems to have repalced a couple of upper scapulars and if this is the case maybe several mantle feathers as well which would diminish any indications of mantle lines.

That said, it's pretty odd for a Little stint to show such advanced moult at such an early date, thought he same could be said for all other stints except Western (which it obviously aint)

Spud

Sparky, it sounds to me like the bird might have first been identified as a SEMIPALMATED SANDPIPER. Then later re-identified as either a RED-NECKED or LITTLE STINT. Without being able to examine the toes to see if there is any webbing, one cannot make a determination between Red-necked/Little and Semipalmated using this criterion. The similar plumages of the above birds make it difficult to ascertain species in that regard also. The robust bill "pointed" me toward Semipalmated, but I still think I would lean toward the LITTLE STINT in my overall impression of this bird.

Larry (certainly not a stint expert) Lade

Hi Adrian,
I won't comment here,as I've been party to discussions of the bird's ID(was sent the pics by Paul,along with his opinions on the ID,and also Killian's e-mail to Paul was forwarded to me);)
Have to agree with their conclusions,unfortunately,though if I found it I may have been taken in?My commiserations to Micheál Cowming for finding it and thinking that he had found himself a tick....
Harry H

Hi Sparky,

So when are we going to find out what "conventional wisdom" has to say about the identity of the bird? And who were the people involved in the identification process?

Larry

Hi all,

Sorry about the serious delay in replying, moving house left me with no internet access for a while.

This bird when picked up first was thought to be a semi p sand, and it fooled quite a few people until the pictures I posted were taken.

The outcome of the identification was after deliberation was that it was a slightly odd looking little stint.

Again, sorry for the serious delay,

Sparky.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back