• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tanager- Ecuadorian Amazon (1 Viewer)

payaminotom

United Kingdom
Hi all, these are two birds I encountered together in the amazon rainforests of Ecuador. I believe they are tanagers but am unsure what type. They are grainy and imperfect pictures but I think someone with better knowledge than myself could place the species. I originally thought it was Tanagara palmarum (Palm Tanager), but the black wing bar shown clearly in these photos does not match that species. Thanks all:)

Screenshot 2024-01-31 at 17.27.46.pngScreenshot 2024-01-25 at 21.15.41.pngScreenshot 2024-01-25 at 21.14.38.pngScreenshot 2024-01-25 at 21.14.13.png

View attachment 00209 (1).mp4

I agree with @THE_FERN , I could accept that one bird may have a slightly abberant wing pattern, but both of these birds show the exact same wing pattern from a variety of different angles, it is very noticeable and is not just a trick of the light or a camera error. Trawling through online resources produces no similar photos of Palm Tanager in any position or lighting.

That said, I am not convinced by Blue-and-Black Tanager. For wing pattern it is spot on, and while we can't make out a distinctive facial pattern from these photos, the stubby bill of B-a-B just doesn't match this bird at all. So we need something with the wing of a Blue-and-Black and the head profile of a Palm Tanager :ROFLMAO:

I wonder if Amazonian form of blue-grey tanager can look like this, with apparent very dark and pale bars on wings given by lighting effects. Fits better in other ways

I wonder if Amazonian form of blue-grey tanager can look like this, with apparent very dark and pale bars on wings given by lighting effects. Fits better in other ways
You know what I think you may be right. Have a look at this screenshot from macauley library. I think given the poor light on my birds I can see the similarities, what do you think?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240201-103330_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20240201-103330_Chrome.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 8
That was my first thought esp having just returned from Ecuador and seen the eastern form of B-G Tanager with its white wingbars

Users who are viewing this thread

Back