• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Compact Binoculars purchase advice (1 Viewer)

Baron Birder

I would like to buy some compact binoculars, just to put in my pocket and carry when I am out not expecting to birdwatch.

I wear spectacles so eye relief/fold down eye covers essential.

I dont want to spend a lot and have to worry about them like my big ones.

Shall we say £100 at the most?

My big bins are 8x42 so probably would prefer to stick to 8 magnification.

Any recommendation please.

Thanks

I have not tried any yet, but have been thinking along similar lines myself. I have been looking at these (Audubon Compacts), which have received good reviews and would seem to meet all your requirements (do not know whether they are available in the UK though):

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=3530

There are also these Vortex Furies, which also have received good reviews but are just out of your stated price range:

http://store.birdwatching.net/store/-strse-958/Detail.bok

I will be interested to see what others recommend.

Jim

Nikon makes 2 8 x 25 reverse porro's. One in the less expensive "Travelite V" series and one in the sturdier "ATB" series. They also come in 9 x 25 with the same FOV as the 8 x 25 in the "Travelite" series. Th 8 x 25 ATB has a wider FOV. You can see them both in the Eagle Optics website linked above.
Bob

Last edited:
Nikon makes 2 8 x 25 reverse porro's. One in the less expensive "Travelite V" series and one in the sturdier "ATB" series. They also come in 9 x 25 with the same FOV as the 8 x 25. You can see them both in the Eagle Optics website linked above.
Bob

I do not mean to be taking over this thread, but I looked at those and they look intriguing but the eye relief ratings are only 10/14 mm. I also see Nikon makes a compact zoom binocular (from 8 to 24 power!) for under $150, but this is rated at only 8 or 9 mm of eye relief. As with their scopes, Nikon does not seem to cater to eyeglass wearers.

Jim

Hi Baron Birder

I posed a similar question a year or so ago and got some good advice. I can't find the thread unfortunately but I ended up getting Nikon Sportstar IV 8x25. Warehouse Express have them for £89 but you can probably find them cheaper.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?/binsandscopes/binoculars/nikon.html

Microglobe usually has them for about £50 but they are sold out.

They are OK for carrying around all the time. Good luck in your choice.

Joanne

I posed a similar question a year or so ago and got some good advice. I can't find the thread unfortunately but I ended up getting Nikon Sportstar IV 8x25. Warehouse Express have them for £89 but you can probably find them cheaper.

http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?/binsandscopes/binoculars/nikon.html

These are listed as having 15 mm of eye relief, which is a bit less than I would prefer anyway. Do you wear glasses? Also, it looks like they are on sale at the site you linked to, which lists the silver version at 45 pounds.

Jim

These are listed as having 15 mm of eye relief, which is a bit less than I would prefer anyway. Do you wear glasses? Also, it looks like they are on sale at the site you linked to, which lists the silver version at 45 pounds.

Jim

No I don't wear glasses so can't really comment on the eye relief. £45 sounds like a bargain!:t:

Joanne

I found another promising option. The Vortex Vanquish ($99), another reverse Porro prism design, like the Audubon compacts I linked to in my first post. One would think the reverse Porro binoculars would have the best optics in this price range. However, these also only have 15 mm of eye relief, which might or might not be enough depending on the individual. Here is a link to a couple of reviews:

http://store.birdwatching.net/store/-strse-1024/Vortex-Vanquish-8x26/Detail.bok

http://www.opticsplanet.com/msgboard/post-26226.html

I think the first review misstates the field of view though. The vortex website indicates it is about 352 feet, not 394 feet. But even 352 feet is pretty good for an eight power compact binocular.

Jim

The Vortex Vanquish sounds like a great binocular but it won't fit on your pocket. Take a look at the Pentax DCF MCII 8x25.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4170

I used to have an 8x22 version of these and they are excellent optically. Lots of eye relief too. Their only drawback is a rather narrow field of view. But there is no better binocular this small that has such good optics for the price.

You really need these kind of dual-hinged binos to be compact enough to put in a shirt pocket. I recently ordered this binocular, and will post a mini-review after I receive it. One member here -- Lucznik -- really likes this bino as well. I want something I can take backpacking, and carry with me everywhere, and that doesn't look conspicuous in urban settings.

Eagle Optics doesn't say it, but the Pentax website says these binos are phase-coated.

The Vortex Vanquish sounds like a great binocular but it won't fit on your pocket.

Well now, that depends on the size of your pocket, doesn't it? ;-) I guess I was thinking of a coat pocket (this being winter). The Vanquish is quite compact (only slightly larger length and width than the Pentax you recommend), but it certainly appears bulkier than the roof prism models. I guess one does need to decide if you want something you can carry in pants (forgetting about cargo pants for the moment) or a shirt pocket comfortably. Perhaps if that is your goal, the Porro prism models will not do.

Jim

Last edited:
Although there are always exceptions, at the price bracket you're considering a small pair of porros will to out perform roof designs,

John

I have the Olympic roofs 8x21. $50. from Cameraland. Given high praise by Consumer Reports.

Thanks for reminding me of the consumer reports article. It was supposed to be a terrible article for birding binoculars generally in part because they did not understand the limitations of compact binoculars. But it might be useful for the present thread. It looks as though the Olympus you mention and the Nikon SportStar (also mentioned above) fall short for eyeglass wearers, however. The Nikon was rated particularly bad. And the Olympus has only 11 mm of eye relief.

I think at this point, for eyeglass wearers, the Pentax trashbird mentioned looks like the best choice for low-cost ultra-compact, and the Audubon (and perhaps the Vortex Vanquish depending on whether the eye relief is sufficient) reverse Porros look best if you do not mind a little extra bulk.

My two cents,
Jim

Previous threads have recommended the Opticron Taiga 8x25 reverse porro as being good value. Twist-up eyecups, "long eye relief".

About £80 from warehouseexpress or sherwoods.

The newest version of the Nikon Sportstar has more eye-relief and a narrower FOV than the old version, so it is OK for most glasses wearers. However, like most cheap pocket roof models it is optically abysmal. If you insist on the compactness of pocket roofs, go with the Pentax previously recommended as it is better.

If you don't mind the added bulk, a reverse porro will be both cheaper and optically far superior to the above pocket roofs. Almost any of the ~$100 models from Nikon, Pentax, Vortex, Bushnell will do--they're all about the same with ~300 ft FOV and 15 mm eye-relief. The Vortex 8x26 Vanquish was a bit of a let down for me because it was orginally advertised as having a 384 ft FOV (and you can find them labeled as such), but it is still quite a bit better than average if the 352 ft is accurate. I tried one recently and found it slightly bulkier than most 8x25, but the optics and ergonomics were fine, and it worked w/my glasses.

--AP

8x25 Opticron Taiga's or 8.5x21 Pentax Papilio's. Have tried both (own 6.5x21 Papilio's) both brilliant for the money. Buy one or other and you will be happy. Nuff said!

Paul

The Vortex Vanquish sounds like a great binocular but it won't fit on your pocket. Take a look at the Pentax DCF MCII 8x25.

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=4170

I used to have an 8x22 version of these and they are excellent optically. Lots of eye relief too. Their only drawback is a rather narrow field of view. But there is no better binocular this small that has such good optics for the price.

You really need these kind of dual-hinged binos to be compact enough to put in a shirt pocket. I recently ordered this binocular, and will post a mini-review after I receive it. One member here -- Lucznik -- really likes this bino as well. I want something I can take backpacking, and carry with me everywhere, and that doesn't look conspicuous in urban settings.

Eagle Optics doesn't say it, but the Pentax website says these binos are phase-coated.

Yes indeed, I still have both my 8x22 DCF MC and my 8x25 DCF MC II. I paid $100 for the former and $120 for the later. The 25mm unit continues to be my everyday, everywhere companion and has accompanied me on numerous trips where anything larger would have been simply out of the question. I still believe that at some point I will upgrade to something "high end" from Nikon, Leica, or Zeiss but until then, this really has proven to be a wonderful little binocular. I have enjoyed enhanced views of birds, wildlife, sporting events, theater, and other opportunities because I had them with me.

My only "complaint" is that I'm not so enamored with the thick rubber armoring that has become so popular. It adds bulk to the binocular that I think is not necessary. Rubber armoring is great on full size binoculars that get banged around a lot but, the order of the day for compacts is small size. A simple leather covering (like what can be had on the Ultravid) or perhaps a really thin rubber (like on the older Zeiss ClassiC compacts) is a far better choice.

If you want your binocular to be truly waterproof (as opposed to just weather resistant) and are willing to pay just a few dollars more, you're in luck because this year Pentax has once again upgraded their little DCF compact. The new version is called the DCF SW and sells for $150. Here's a link:

http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=5181

On another topic; It is true what people say that reverse porros will be optically superior to comparable roof prism units (even phase corrected ones) but, the difference is small and you really pay for it in added bulk and weight. I had a Bushnell Legend 10x26 which was wonderful to look through but, it was so big that I never really took it anywhere so; I sold it.

It seems to me that the whole point of these little compact binoculars is their ability to be with you all day, everyday, no matter the circumstances or environment. Of course you trade off some optical performance for the small size but, the alternative is to not have any optic with you when chance or fate send you unexpected opportunities. If the binocular can't be carried comfortably and unobtrusively in a trouser pocket, then it really is failing at its basic purpose.

8x25 Opticron Taiga's or 8.5x21 Pentax Papilio's. Have tried both (own 6.5x21 Papilio's) both brilliant for the money. Buy one or other and you will be happy. Nuff said!

Paul

I'll second the Taiga's. I bought them over the Papilios, the paps felt less comfortable in the hand (did have fantastic close focus though). Not much in in it image wise but the Taigas just got the edge IMHO.

Perry

Another vote for the Opticron Taigas, bought some from Cley Spy last year for exactly the job you specify, to stick in a pocket on non-birding walks.

John.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back