• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binocular eyepiece repair (1 Viewer)

payaminotom

United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice to repair my Opticron Countryman 8x42 WA binoculars. The righthand adjustable eyepiece (the bit that rests on your eye) has come off. If anyone has any experience fixing these kinds of problems, any advice will ne appreciated:) the surface where the lart has become unattached is sticky, so I presume I'll have to use some sort of adhesive, but I want to avoid causing the adjustable component to stick.

Thanks everyone!

Attachments

• 20240126_080531.jpg
    20240126_080531.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 38
  • 20240126_080541.jpg
    20240126_080541.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 34
  • 20240126_080547.jpg
    20240126_080547.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 37
  • 20240126_080559.jpg
    20240126_080559.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 35
Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF!

I might be missing sth, but I see a pair with the right rubber eyecup detached... and the lens in the right eyepiece looking a bit funny - probably due to reflection of a... ceiling lamp?

Opticron customer service would be my first bet too... if they don't have parts any more, diy...

If the rubber eyecup became loose because it is torn, you could put it back and fasten it with a round of scotchtape or two...
If it is just a bit loose you could try a bit of teflon tape around the metal seat to make the eyecup fit more tightly.

Anyways there should be no grease or glue between the seat and rubber eyecup... at least normally...

Joachim

Hi,

first of all, welcome to BF!

I might be missing sth, but I see a pair with the right rubber eyecup detached... and the lens in the right eyepiece looking a bit funny - probably due to reflection of a... ceiling lamp?

Opticron customer service would be my first bet too... if they don't have parts any more, diy...

If the rubber eyecup became loose because it is torn, you could put it back and fasten it with a round of scotchtape or two...
If it is just a bit loose you could try a bit of teflon tape around the metal seat to make the eyecup fit more tightly.

Anyways there should be no grease or glue between the seat and rubber eyecup... at least normally...

Joachim
Thanks so much for your reply Joachim. As you suspect there's nothing wrong with the lens, just a light reflection looking strange in the image. The problem is the detached eyecup (sorry if I used wrong terminology), it is not torn and yes there is a sticky residue left behind where it was once fixed. Perhaps it is from a previous owners repair? But maybe not, I see no way the eyecup could be attached without some form of adhesive. I'll look into Teflon tape though:)

I got these beauties for £3 from a charity shop. There's no way I can afford a new pair at the moment and I would love to honour them by giving them a proper repair and helping them last even longer. Thanks for your advice!

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice to repair my Opticron Countryman 8x42 WA binoculars. The righthand adjustable eyepiece (the bit that rests on your eye) has come off. If anyone has any experience fixing these kinds of problems, any advice will ne appreciated:) the surface where the lart has become unattached is sticky, so I presume I'll have to use some sort of adhesive, but I want to avoid causing the adjustable component to stick.

Thanks everyone!
in photo 2 the tube with lenses has screwed in too far. Carefully grip it and unscrew it , probably anti-clockwise so that there is enough plain metal
showing. Look at the the piece in photo 3 and locate the three tiny grub screws. It is these that secure photo 3 to the top of photo 2. You will need
a tiny screw driver about 1 to 1.5 mm blade. The rubber eyecup is secured with a little contact adhesive. Please don't ever use super glue on a
binocular as the fumes attack lens coatings.

in photo 2 the tube with lenses has screwed in too far. Carefully grip it and unscrew it , probably anti-clockwise so that there is enough plain metal
showing. Look at the the piece in photo 3 and locate the three tiny grub screws. It is these that secure photo 3 to the top of photo 2. You will need
a tiny screw driver about 1 to 1.5 mm blade. The rubber eyecup is secured with a little contact adhesive. Please don't ever use super glue on a
binocular as the fumes attack lens coatings.
Wow Richard I cant thank you enough for your detailed responce. I'd really apprecaite it if you could clarify how exactly the grub screws secure the eyepiece to the mount? I have ordered a tiny screwdriver set in preparation as I dont have any that small.

Wow Richard I cant thank you enough for your detailed responce. I'd really apprecaite it if you could clarify how exactly the grub screws secure the eyepiece to the mount? I have ordered a tiny screwdriver set in preparation as I dont have any that small.
In photo 4 you can see a shiny silver scratch on the right eyepiece. This shows where one of the grub screws made contact
with the tube that holds the lenses but then slipped and made the mark. You should find two more around the circumference.

In photo 4 you can see a shiny silver scratch on the right eyepiece. This shows where one of the grub screws made contact
with the tube that holds the lenses but then slipped and made the mark. You should find two more around the circumference.
Richard you are an absolute legend! I've retightened the grub screws and the binoculars are back together, working perfectly! Thankyou so much for sharing your knowledge, you're an inspiration! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back