• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Wigeon Hybrid (1 Viewer)

Barryb

I saw this wigeon today at Paxton pits near St Neots. Cambs I think it might be an Eurasian/American wigeon hybrid? but would welcome opinions.

Barry

Attachments

• wigeonhyb2.jpg
    wigeonhyb2.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 253
  • wigeonhyb1.jpg
    wigeonhyb1.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 231
This issue was just discussed in a recent thread (http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=107589). According to the European birders, it is "normal" for Eurasian Wigeon to occasionally show this green patch. The only characteristic of American Wigeon that this bird shows is the green patch (it does not show any pink on the sides or back, for example). Thus, it would appear to me that this is not a hybrid.

Jim

Thanks all and thanks for pointing out that thread J. Moore.
Its strange that I have seen quite a few wigeon over the years and this is the only Eurasian wigeon I have seen with this extensive green patch on it. I have often seen them with a small eye patch but nothing like this extending over the head. The forehead was also noticeably paler than the other wigeon in the area and in the field the body colour did seem slightly different but I couldn't get a picture with a Eurasian alongside. The Sibley guide I have does show the green not making its way to the back of the head though and certainly with more pink along the flanks.

Barry

These birds pop up now and then, but I'm certain they are just Wigeon. If they were hybrids they would show more features from the American parent. There was a bird on the Exe at the start of this winter everyone was claiming as a hybrid, and I've seen a couple on the Axe in past winters. They basically look like an Eurasian Wigeon with green eye stripes, and you are right Barry, male Eurasian Wig also regular show small green eye patches.

Eurasian Wigeons that look like that occur also in Finland. I don't think that there's enough substance to call the bird a hybrid (unless a rather large proportion of our Wigeons are hybrids...).

Agree with other. If you look hard enough, a small proportion of Eurasian Wigeon show green patches around the eye. I have seen numerous birds over the years, including some in the Paxton/Buckden area of Cambs.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back