• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tokyo Bay Area - Japan: October 2023 (1 Viewer)

Hello there

I was doing some bird-watching by the bridges near Haneda Airport and I need some help with photo identification.

About the gull: Herring / Vega Gull, or Slaty-backed Gull? From the size, dark back and general stout posture, I assumed Slaty-backed. However, at least in this light, the eyes looked much too dark for a SBG. Any thoughts?

Also, could the duck possibly be a female / eclipsing American Wigeon? It was in a mixed flock of Eastern Spot-billed Ducks and Eurasian Wigeon.

Many thanks :)

DSCF1234.JPGDSCF1237.JPGDSCF1252.JPGDSCF1254.JPG

Hello,

I believe there's a high likelihood that the bird is a Slaty-backed Gull. As for the duck, it looks like a Eurasian Wigeon to me. May I ask why you think it's an American Wigeon?

Hello,

I believe there's a high likelihood that the bird is a Slaty-backed Gull. As for the duck, it looks like a Eurasian Wigeon to me. May I ask why you think it's an American Wigeon?
Hello there

Thanks for the reply. Regarding the Wigeon, I'm going by the positioning of the dark 'smudge' on the head. In female / eclipse Eurasian Wigeons, the head colour to me seems more uniform brown (as it was in all the other non-breeding-plumage Wigeon in the flock I saw), without the dark patch going from the eye to the back of the head. Can't say I'm 100% sure though.

All the best

Users who are viewing this thread

Back