• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Venus Pool ... nr. Shrewsbury . (1 Viewer)

jada dulo

Mr.VP!!!
I've had a quick look and to the best of my knowledge there are no threads on Shropshire patches so here goes ...

I've been going here for nearly a year now , well over 50 visits tucked under my belt , and it rarely fails to turn out at least one decent bird . I must admit moving to Shropshire 16 years ago played a big part in my stopping birding for so many years , I had convinced myself that it was a hopeless county for birdwatching with nothing really about , ever ... I couldn't have been more wrong , I was simply young and impatient and quite bitter about moving house and not just leaving behind family and friends but also my old local patch which I loved .
I never really 'stopped' birdwatching as I would constantly listen to what people had seen and also , very occasionaly , pop out birding for an hour or so , but never with any real enthusiasm . My thirst started re-kindeling itself about 8 years ago , just before I moved out of my Mum and Dads house , when my Dad ( a birder too ) saw a Great Grey Shrike on the garden hedge !
So , I began 2003 with all my thirst and hunger for birdwatching fully restored and it was about June time I think that I really began birding regulary at Venus Pool . I had travelled to other local sites , missing out on Black-necked Grebe , Spotted Crake and Red-rumped Swallow , all by summer .
But Venus granted me many ticks to my newly started life-list ( at the start of 2003 ) , Water Rail , Bittern , Firecrest , Spotted Redshank , Hobby , Osprey , Manderin Duck , Whinchat and Little-ringed Plover being the main highlights .
The biggest upset for me was missing a juv. Purple Heron that arrived and was seen for a good few hours , I was there that day too , earlier , but had left to take my wife for a check-up at the hospital ( she was pregnant at the time ) . I returned the following day for 8 hours but the bird was never seen again by anyone .
There were also 3 Little Egret present this year for quite some time and up to 44 ( highest count to the best of my knowledge ) roosting Cormorants .. plus the hot weather had reduced the water level so vastly it made fishing for the eels in there extremely easy for them . Over 80 Tree Sparrows present all year round and over 60 Teal counted . I'm not sure of the official site count but it must be inaccess of 150 !
One day a lone Grey Phalarope showed up , stayed for less than 10 minutes and flew off , it was seen by 3 lucky birders ( not me , unfortunately ).
But I think it is a good all-round site to visit , it has 5 hides , 3 are public and the remaining 2 are locked with only S.O.S. members having access , but I think the 3 public hides are by far the best anyway . So if your ever in or around Shrewsbury I can highly recommend a stop-by here , you will , I'm sure , find it a good place to visit .... and you never know , you might bump into me !

I know how you feel there, Ive just moved to Telford from Devon 5 weeks ago, and Shropshire doesn't have the same quality locations.But I have managed to get to Venus pools and it is a cracking place.Found my first tree sparrows there :bounce: Perhaps you can give me some other nice birding sites in and around Shropshire, as I must try and get out birding more...

Hi Jada

Im coming up your way for xmas, staying with the inlaws in Bewdley which isnt too far from Shrewsbury. I am on the lookout for somewhere to go birding, so along with Chelmarsh and the Wyre Forest Ill have a look at Venus Pools.

Thanks for the timely report

Martin

For Stuart and anyone else new to the area.

I've wandered around Shropshire and the Telford area quite a bit.

I'd recommend the quieter woods around the Erchall (smaller brother of the Wrekin), the mature oak woods around the wrekin itself (avoiding the footpath over the top), perhaps walking round the west side as far as the old rifle range.

Stand on the Wrekin and look south on a good day to view the following potential wildlife sites (a map will help you):

The Long Mynd has plenty of birds.
The Stiperstones can be impressive.
Wenlock Edge is good for woodland birds.
Brown Clee Hill gives a mixture of woodland and heath birds.
Wyre Forest.

Or perhaps travel to the east and try Cannock Chase. In summer it's a haunt of the Nightjar and is also full of fallow deer and more secretive reds.

If you go west a wee way (50 mins in the car) you'll find the Berwyn mountain range home to the biggest Hen Harrier breeding population in wales and also a great waterfall Pistyll Raeyhder (please excuse the inacurate spelling) where Peregrines are easily seen.

The book 'Where to watch birds in the west midlands' may introduce you to some good birding sites but check out the welsh borders aswell.

You can get into mid wales from Telford with no effort or north to the Dee estuary for the winter birds.

The West Midlands Bird Club have a few reserves near you aswell.

Last edited:
shropshire

Hi stuart,

As with any county there are several site worth noting,
the Shropshire Ornithological site (SOS
the Shropshirebirds yahoo group
Wall farm site all contribute to giving the county a good covrage of what is going on.
and of course give details of all sites worth haunting

paul

paclett said:
Hi stuart,

As with any county there are several site worth noting,
the Shropshire Ornithological site (SOS
the Shropshirebirds yahoo group
Wall farm site all contribute to giving the county a good covrage of what is going on.
and of course give details of all sites worth haunting

paul

Thanks for the tips guys, when ive got the xmas thing out the way, Im hoping to get back out birding some more ;)

Hi Stuart , other good site's are Belvide Reservoir , about 15 minutes from Telford down the A5 , but you will have to be a member of the West Midlands Bird Club to gain access to the hides . Well worth checking out though , I was there just a couple of days ago and narrowly missed out on Grey Phalarope ! nevermind ...
But there were huge numbers of wildfowl there including Pintail , Gadwall , Goldeneye and Goosander plus we also saw Redshank , Green and Great-spotted Woodpecker , Treecreeper , Goldcrest , Peregrine and large numbers of finch . Telford pulls the odd good 'un too though , on December 20th ( I think ) there were 2 Waxwing at the J4 ( M54 ) service station at Priorslee !! ... and Priorslee flash / pool has had a few this year too including Red-rumped Swallow , Black-necked Grebe and a Pectoral Sandpiper ( I think ?? ) .
Wood Lane at Ellesmere is a great place for gulls ( especialy Yellow-legged and Meds , they get quite a few each year so I'm told ) plus this year they have had Grey Phalarope , Great Grey Shrike and Pectoral Sandpiper also !!
Hope this helps ... I'm afraid Venus Pool has been quite quiet recently but I will keep you posted on any good sightings .
Around the Cressage area a female Merlin is being seen quite regulary , seen it once myself . Good luck .

Just got my wife to txt me my list of what I saw on my last visit to Venus Pool ( 23rd Dec . ) ...

c80 Tree Sparrow .
c60 Chaffinch .
c45 Reed Bunting .
c25 Yellowhammer .
1 female Brambling .
c20 Blue Tit .
c20 Blackbird .
9 Dunnock .
18 Fieldfare .
2 Buzzard .
1 male Kestrel .
8 Pheasant .
21 Black-headed Gull .
c200 Cananda Goose .
7 Greylag Goose .
11 Mallard .
1 Grey Wagtail .
1 Pied Wagtail .
1 Water Rail .
4 Bullfinch .
14 Greenfinch .
9 Great Tit .
3 Marsh Tit .
1 Coal Tit .
2 Wren .
6 Goldfinch .
5 Redpoll .
2 Robin .
1 Mistle Thrush .
15 Starling .
3 Meadow Pipit .
1 Snipe .
16 Crow .
3 Rook .
c160 Wood Pigeon .
11 Lapwing .
2 Moorhen .
1 Cormorant .
1 Grey Heron .
1 male Sparrowhawk .

.... what's that , 30 something species I guess ? .. looks quite good but that is a pretty quiet day at VP ... not that I'm complaining , far from it . Anyway , I'll add more soon ... bye for now ! .

Whoa !! Today ( 27th Dec ) there were c247 Grey Plover in a field just over from Venus Pool ... I'm at work now but hope they're still around tomorrow so I can see them . I saw about 50 odd Grey Plover in Cornwall earlier this year ... books dont do them justice I think , they look really quite nice .... if you can get close enough to them !! .

2 Goosander flying off and the large flock of finches and buntings were all that there was about yesterday !!
Well , lets see what 2004 brings eh ? Happy New Year everyone ... and good luck birding .

A quick visit today ( 2nd Jan. ) brought my year list thus far to 48 species !!
Birds of note were Little Owl , Green Sandpiper , Kingfisher and Great Spotted Woodpecker . A female Brambling was seen in amongst the large finch flock , but I failed to see it .

Got the Brambling and a single Redpoll , but best of all was a lone Barnacle Goose in amongst a flock of c200 strong Cananda Geese . There was a sighting of a Little Egret on the 4th , I was lucky enough to see it later in the day on the Severn !! Species list now on a much healthier 63 !!

Been today and got ... c.130 Chaffinch , c.120 Reed Bunting , c.100 Tree Sparrow , c.80 Linnet , c.40 Yellowhammer , 8 Redpoll , 4 Bullfinch , 2 female Brambling , c.20 Goldfinch , 25 Skylark and 1 male Sparrowhawk all in top field !!

On reserve ... 10 Wigeon , 1 Shelduck , 5 Teal , Marsh and Coal Tit's ... not much else really . Sightings yesterday of Lesser Spotted Woodpecker and Bittern .

N.B. Species list for year now at 91 !!

... and Shelduck makes my Venus Pool list now 110 species !!

Last edited:
Went again today , list of birds very similar to yesterday other than there were slightly more Yellowhammers , 4 more Wigeon had turned up overnight and the Shelduck had gone !
Thought I got a glimpse of a Water Rail dashing through the undergrowth but my view was so brief and poor that I cant count it on my year list ... shame , I really want to crack 100 by the end of January , I need 9 more species !
I sent a text to my mate that I had 2 Mistle Thrush today at Venus Pool , we were both talking yesterday that we needed Song Thrush for our year list but he also need's Mistle ! , anyway , he send's me a text back saying that he's in Grimsby and had just had American Robin !!!

2 Goldeneye today !!! A VP first for myself and take's my site list to the heady height's of 111 species ! :)
Still recent glimpses of Bittern being seen , although the bird is elluding me in 2004 so far .... but I'll get it . :D
Saw around 20 odd Redpoll there today with a very strong contender for a Mealy in amongst them . Can you count Mealy as a seperate species from Lesser on your year list ? does anyone know the 'official ' spool on this ? help please !

Ad. Night Heron !!! seen yesterday around 17:00hrs , dropped into reed's and hasn't been seen since ! Also , 4 Corn Bunting seen last weekend . Goosander ( 4 ) , Goldeneye ( 2 ) , Shoveler ( 1m ) and Teal ( 31 ) were all there was this morning worth noting .

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back