• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The Titchwell "Iceland Gull" (1 Viewer)

Dave Appleton

This morning an "adult Iceland Gull" was reported at Titchwell (Norfolk, UK). I was already on site so arrived fairly quickly - the bird was in fact an immature, second summer (third calendar-year) I think, and the identification as Iceland Gull was quickly challenged.

Some of those present felt that structurally it was good for Iceland Gull, although to my eyes the bill seemed rather long and Herring Gull-like. It was similar in size to the smallest Herring Gulls present but gave the impression of being longer-winged. Plumage seemed incompatible with Iceland Gull, as it showed darker than expected outer primaries and coverts and a dark tail band. Most observers seemed to think it was a leucistic Herring Gull.

I left the site favouring Herring Gull too, but with a niggling doubt over whether or not Kumlien's Gull could be eliminated. During the course of this evening I've not been able to clear that doubt.

Photos are on my website here:

http://www.gobirding.eu/Photos/TitchwellGull.php

Features not visible in the photos include a pale yellowy iris, only apparent at close range, and heavily barred undertail-coverts.

Note the similarity between this bird and the bird reported during the winter at Blackborough End tip (also Norfolk):

http://www.worldbirders.com/index.asp?PageId=156&PageName=possible-Kumlien's-Gull

Opinions would be welcome on this bird, especially from anyone familiar with second summer Kumlien's Gulls at this time of year.

Thanks,
Dave Appleton

its certainly not an iceland gull with the marked primaries and tail. Seems much to heavy and long billed - more like a glonk, which it certainly isnt. Im inclined to agree, leucistic Herring Gull.

This morning an "adult Iceland Gull" was reported at Titchwell (Norfolk, UK). I was already on site so arrived fairly quickly - the bird was in fact an immature, second summer (third calendar-year) I think, and the identification as Iceland Gull was quickly challenged.

Some of those present felt that structurally it was good for Iceland Gull, although to my eyes the bill seemed rather long and Herring Gull-like. It was similar in size to the smallest Herring Gulls present but gave the impression of being longer-winged. Plumage seemed incompatible with Iceland Gull, as it showed darker than expected outer primaries and coverts and a dark tail band. Most observers seemed to think it was a leucistic Herring Gull.

I left the site favouring Herring Gull too, but with a niggling doubt over whether or not Kumlien's Gull could be eliminated. During the course of this evening I've not been able to clear that doubt.

Photos are on my website here:

http://www.gobirding.eu/Photos/TitchwellGull.php

Features not visible in the photos include a pale yellowy iris, only apparent at close range, and heavily barred undertail-coverts.

Note the similarity between this bird and the bird reported during the winter at Blackborough End tip (also Norfolk):

http://www.worldbirders.com/index.asp?PageId=156&PageName=possible-Kumlien's-Gull

Opinions would be welcome on this bird, especially from anyone familiar with second summer Kumlien's Gulls at this time of year.

Thanks,
Dave Appleton

The Blackborough End tip gull is a Herring Gull

Kind regards

Johnny Allan

Leucstic herring gull?

Did NOT see this bird but have seen two Iceland Gulls in 2009

The photos posted on this thread are most interesting. Dave Appleton's photos showing the bird on the ground suggest a herring gull.

Whether there is hybridisation between herring gull and another species I don't know. Jizz is herring gull.
PAUL

I'm not great on gulls but the jizz of the bird to me looks like herring Gull but to me I not rule out a Herring x ? hybrid. I don't thinks its Iceland.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back