• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Barcoding Palearctic birds (1 Viewer)

Richard Klim

-------------------------
Kerr, K C, Birks, S M, Kalyakin, M V & Hebert, P D 2009. COI barcode resolution for Eastern Palearctic birds: revisiting species boundaries in high-latitude birds. 127th Stated Meeting of the AOU: Philadelphia, 2009.

DNA barcoding employs sequences from a short standardized gene region (cytochrome c oxidase I for animals) to identify species. The ability to discover cryptic species has also been explored, however, both utilities remain contentious. Birds remain an ideal group to test the efficacy of the barcode approach because of their mature taxonomy. COI diversity has been surveyed extensively in North American birds, but treatments elsewhere are sparse. In this study, we expand the COI library by sampling a large proportion of Palearctic birds. We acquired COI sequences from vouchered museum specimens (N=1674) representing 398 species and merged this data with that for North American birds. Avian diversity is low in this region, though a number of species are shared with or are sister to Nearctic taxa, which provides transcontinental comparisons. We tested different methods for species assignment including neighbour-joining clusters, distance-based thresholds, and character-based methods. We compare the results and reliability of these different tests. Well-supported divergences within species and their implications regarding species boundaries are discussed, as are reasons for low diversity between a limited number of species pairs.
http://www.birdmeetings.org/aou2009/files/aou2009-abstracts.pdf

This earlier presentation by largely the same team gives some insight:
www.barcoding.si.edu/.../2-Kerr-Neotropic meet (Palearc).ppt

It states that 14 Palearctic species were discovered as a result of splits identified by barcoding:
  • 1 Anatidae
  • 1 Scolopacidae
  • 1 Columbidae
  • 1 Caprimulgidae
  • 2 Picidae
  • 2 Hirundinidae
  • 1 Troglodytidae
  • 5 Turdidae
Anyone know anything more about this work?

Richard

You probably already know this paper and another one, both on N American birds
Thanks Niels. I already had the second of those two papers (Kerr et al 2007). But I don't think I've seen any similar work on Palearctic birds before.

Edit: I've just noticed this 2007 thread on the above, which suggests considerable scepticism about the method:
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=78817

Richard

Last edited:
DNA barcoding seems a great method to quickly assess species diversity and determine where further research is needed, but I think just about everyone, including researchers that use it, wouldn't call it the final arbiter of species.

I wonder how many of these 'newly discovered species' were proposed splits in earlier studies?

Earlier results of barcoding of North American birds largely repeated what was already known from morphological and other DNA studies, eg. very close relationship of some species and divergence within others.

It would be interesting to see how the current methods of DNA sequencing, like next-generation sequencing and the new IBM microelectronic method will affect bird studies.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back