• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Birding site recommendations anyone? (1 Viewer)

peterbod

I'll be visiting Yorkshire mid-September and wondered if anyone could recommend a couple of prime sites as I'll only have ta couple of days free to do a bit of bird photography.

Blacktoft Sands RSPB reserve is very good in September for waders and the Marsh Harriers should be still around.

Blacktoft can be tricky because birds are often quite distant from the hides, although the marsh harriers do give a good show.

Other places that can be good for quick visits include:

Potteric Carr (near Doncaster) - good range of species, with a good hide overlooking feeders where you'll get cracking shots of great spotted woodpecker, jay etc.

Old Moor (near Barnsley) - good range of waterfowl and some waders, plus feeders which will have bullfinch, willow tit, tree sparrow, stock dove etc.

Fairburn Ings (near Castleford) - a good place for waterfowl (although it's slightly early for most of the best stuff), and kingfishers, plus a good feeding station for common passerines.

Filey Brigg - a good site for waders, including purple sandpiper, bar-tailed godwit, knot etc.

It's a great time of year to search for passage migrants at Flamborough Head and Spurn, although photographic opportunities may not be guaranteed. The RSPB also do cruises from Bridlington searching for skuas and shearwaters during that time, but these need to be booked in advance.

Much depends on where you are staying and what your transport is. As Atlanta is a fair way from the sea I'd be looking to do Bempton and Filey, if you are around on the 11th get yourself on the RSPB cruise.

I'll be visiting Yorkshire mid-September and wondered if anyone could recommend a couple of prime sites as I'll only have ta couple of days free to do a bit of bird photography.

A feeding station would probably be a good place for bird photography:
Forge Valley near Scarboro for Nuthatches, Tits etc.
Tophill Low - variety of birds should be there at that time. Feeding station & possibly waders.

Check high tide times when here & then Filey Brigg & the bad road at Spurn can give you v. close views of waders. Also Bridlington harbour good for waders & excellent fish & chips!

Thanks for all the birding spot suggestions. You can be sure I'll be following up on them...and the fish & chips too!

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back