• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Redpoll help! (1 Viewer)

DOC REED

Have a flock of 500+ redpoll on my local patch here in N Yorks! Lots of interestng birds, see yorkshire thread for earlier photos.Feeding high up..but I think there is a goody amongst them...not that have nailed one in the field. Thoughts on these birds would be welcome!The flock is mostly Lessers and feeding high up...but some birds seem paler.Don't ask me about rumps! One photo i feel shows hint pale rump..but they are just too high at moment.The Niger seed is going down tomorrow..but does anyone see anything other than 'Lesser' here.I do...but am biased!
Cheers
Paul

Attachments

• redweb.jpg
    redweb.jpg
    242.6 KB · Views: 273
  • redweb2.jpg
    redweb2.jpg
    284 KB · Views: 222
  • redweb3.jpg
    redweb3.jpg
    239.6 KB · Views: 304
  • redweb4.jpg
    redweb4.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 260
  • redpoll5.jpg
    redpoll5.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 272
Last edited:
Don't do Lee! But don't think its Arctic...Wondering more about Mealy??
Paul

Don't think Ben was suggesting that you 'do' Lee, just that he was pointing you in the direction of two excellently produced articles on Arctic/Mealy/Lesser Redpolls!!!

For what it's worth, I think these are Mealy!

Yes!!!!!!!!

Don't think Ben was suggesting that you 'do' Lee, just that he was pointing you in the direction of two excellently produced articles on Arctic/Mealy/Lesser Redpolls!!!

For what it's worth, I think these are Mealy!

Am happy with Mealy.....just glad they are not lessers...knew i had something different!!
And no disrespect to Lee...have read that article before posting!!!
Just not a lister!
Cheers
Paul

Yes, having looked closer at the pictures I agree, it looks like a Mealy rather than Arctic. My first impressions were that it was a very pale individual, however the rump picture shows too much 'colour' on rump as well as the vent having quite a few black shafts rather than the hoped for one/none.
Still a cracking bird Paul, nice photo's too, If I had a flock of 500 Redpoll's I'd be hoping for a goody amongst them, keep checking!

I agree these ones appear to be mealy (common). The last photo could be of a lesser. About 1 in 5 in many of the big redpoll flocks locally are being reported as mealy and I agree those redpoll articles already mentioned are really good and worth a look.

Photo 1 would certainly get the heart racing but the faint streaking on the rump seems to rule out arctic. Similarly the coarse flank streaking (on some) and the thick dark undertail streaking (sometimes just single streak) seem to rule this out. Some 1st wint arctics are virtually indistinguishable from mealy, which can vary considerably. Would certainly keep going back to the flock to check.

Last edited:
I agree these ones appear to be mealy (common). The last photo could be of a lesser. About 1 in 5 in many of the big redpoll flocks locally are being reported as mealy and I agree those redpoll articles already mentioned are really good and worth a look.

Just shows how dffcult it is..the last pic intrigued me bebause of the heavy tarsal feathering..maybe suggesting a northern bird...but what do I/we know??????

Yes, having looked closer at the pictures I agree, it looks like a Mealy rather than Arctic. My first impressions were that it was a very pale individual, however the rump picture shows too much 'colour' on rump as well as the vent having quite a few black shafts rather than the hoped for one/none.
Still a cracking bird Paul, nice photo's too, If I had a flock of 500 Redpoll's I'd be hoping for a goody amongst them, keep checking!

Cheers Ben
Hopefully can go back to yorkshire site with some self belief now!Was really only thinking Mealy at best..one prominent yorkshire birder and id expert supported me,,but most thought i just had lessers.In fairness my earlier pics did show some lessers...i am learning with every post on these 'buggers'!!Thanks for your help!
Paul

I'm sure you saw there is a metal ring on the bird in the last photo. Though being able to read anything other than an "8" - or possibly a "B" may be very difficult!

I'm sure you saw there is a metal ring on the bird in the last photo. Though being able to read anything other than an "8" - or possibly a "B" may be very difficult!

Nice spot..had noticed myself...so if any ringers would care to comment?

Paul, pic 1 is a Common Redpoll. If it isn't with that rump, throw away the literature. I agree that pic 5 may be a Lesser - buff wingbars. Obviously a bright day and a bright sky, so some of the Lessers may appear more frosty around the head.

How many of the four first pic's are of the same bird? Just curious.

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for the directions.

that fourth pic looks good for Coues's Arctic - pushed in bill look plus looks like it has a 'black eye', limited flank streaking and single streak on utc's. Would need more pics but not a bad candidate. First three Mealy and last Lesser

that fourth pic looks good for Coues's Arctic - pushed in bill look plus looks like it has a 'black eye', limited flank streaking and single streak on utc's. Would need more pics but not a bad candidate. First three Mealy and last Lesser

Thanks guys..obviously some good birds there at least. The Niger is down..hoping they will hang around and come in to it!!

Paul, pic 1 is a Common Redpoll. If it isn't with that rump, throw away the literature. I agree that pic 5 may be a Lesser - buff wingbars. Obviously a bright day and a bright sky, so some of the Lessers may appear more frosty around the head.

How many of the four first pic's are of the same bird? Just curious.

I'll let you know how I get on. Thanks for the directions.

Several birds!!!Would have to go through them to be exact..but they were all around me!Off the top of my head; bird 1 individual,2 and 3 same., 4 individual ,5 individual!

Hi James
would 'Coues' be a good local record, rather than regional/national.Just unsure what to do re reporting this flock.Lawts will hopefully get there tomorrow ..but should I wait before putting these out?

some more pics

from same day, including further pic for James re putative Coues.Also a pic depicting small part of flock.

Attachments

• redpoll9.jpg
    redpoll9.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 154
  • redpoll10.jpg
    redpoll10.jpg
    291.9 KB · Views: 190
  • redpoll11.jpg
    redpoll11.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 147
  • redpoll12.jpg
    redpoll12.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 166
  • redpoll13.jpg
    redpoll13.jpg
    254.4 KB · Views: 100
Hi James
would 'Coues' be a good local record, rather than regional/national.Just unsure what to do re reporting this flock.Lawts will hopefully get there tomorrow ..but should I wait before putting these out?

Arctic isn't a national rarity so it would go to the vice-county recorder. Contact them with your pics, numbers of Redpolls, Mealies plus pics. Include pic 4 and label it interesting and any other observations about it. For me I can't rule Mealy out on the one pic and with Coues's generally less well marked birds dont get accepted without a number of pics. Depending on peoples views on this bird and access I would be tempted to put it out as a possible to news services. If no access don't put it out.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back