• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

white faced scops owl (1 Viewer)

Trystan

It came to my attention today that white faced scops owl was split into northern white faced owl (Philopsis leucotid) and southern white faced owl (P granti)

I saw one of these birds in Kenya at lake baringo several years ago and am trying to figure out which it would be. I have seen reports with one or the other reported from this area.

Does anyone know whether they overlap here or can I safely assume one type or the other?

Thanks

Clements lists "central Kenya" as northern and "SW Kenya" as southern. While not definitive, to me that sounds like the difference between Rift Valley versus Maasai Mara.

König et Weick list Northern Kenya and Southern Kenya respectively, with the note that the two species probably overlap in Kenya. So unless someone have actively identified the field marks at those individuals, it probably is a risky proposition to id by range within Kenya.

Niels

Thanks, for the responses, I guess I'll have to keep it lumped for now at least.

Chris, your year list is almost my life list!

If you read the various trip reports they all refer to the Baringo birds as Northern White-faced Owl. I dont know how accurate they are however, and on what basis, but have seen nobody refer to them as Southerns, presumably somebody must have heard them

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back