• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Astroscope + DSLR = Gallery! (16 Viewers)

Great views of a Bittern yesterday, It was nice not to be the only one limited to manual focus for once! All the reeds made it the only choice.

Attachments

• Bittern 1 resize.jpg
    Bittern 1 resize.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Bittern 2 resize.JPG
    Bittern 2 resize.JPG
    300.2 KB · Views: 67
  • Bittern 3 resize.JPG
    Bittern 3 resize.JPG
    273 KB · Views: 65
Hi guys. sorry for the lack of activity lately but my internet has been down for three weeks :eek!: (now playing catch-up).
Anyway here are a few shots from my local estuary over the past few weeks.
All shots: 7D + 1.4x tc + SW80ED (840mm so 1344mm FOV on the 1.6 crop camera) - all are cropped to varying degrees.

Roy these are awesome photos - if I could get 1/2 as good I would be ecstatic :t:

Great views of a Bittern yesterday, It was nice not to be the only one limited to manual focus for once! All the reeds made it the only choice.
Not only great views, great pictures! The first one in particular stands out.

I got some reasonable shots of a pied waggy today. 840mm sure comes in handy for small birds as it gives you that much more working distance. The SW is not up to a decent DSLR lens but a lot of lens for the bucks that's for sure.
Canon 7D +1.4x tc + SW80ED - all cropped to some extent.

Attachments

• piedwag1.jpg
    piedwag1.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 73
  • piedwag2.jpg
    piedwag2.jpg
    184.5 KB · Views: 52
  • piedwag3.jpg
    piedwag3.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 64
I got some reasonable shots of a pied waggy today. 840mm sure comes in handy for small birds as it gives you that much more working distance. The SW is not up to a decent DSLR lens but a lot of lens for the bucks that's for sure.
Canon 7D +1.4x tc + SW80ED - all cropped to some extent.
I would say these are far better than "reasonable". Great photos.

Thanks Roy! Don't understand how they can fly in high speed and land on these branches without getting pierced all the time :)

A few more recent snaps from the estuary. All taken from 100 feet plus. The whimbrel an Curlew were taken from around 200 feet I guess and cropped very heavily whilst the first three are medium crops.
7D +1.4x tc + SW80ED.

Attachments

• red1c.jpg
    red1c.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 69
  • red3.jpg
    red3.jpg
    210 KB · Views: 76
  • oystercatcher2.jpg
    oystercatcher2.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 62
  • w1.jpg
    w1.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 78
  • curlew1.jpg
    curlew1.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 74
@Tord: I used the EM-5. I only use that one on the scope now.
Carlos,
I have been reading many good things about the OM-D. I may have to acquire a new camera body in near future and have been considering a mirrorless system. Olympus is one option since I already have a nice lens collection for general purpose. What about the ergonomics of the electronic viewfinder when used on a MF telephoto lens/scope? Or do you use the LCD?
/Tord

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back