• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

5 common birds from Paris, France (1 Viewer)

rpharvey

I suspect these are all common but are outside of my US only abilities... Thx...

Attachments

• DSCN0131.JPG
    DSCN0131.JPG
    90.4 KB · Views: 424
  • DSCN9481.JPG
    DSCN9481.JPG
    188.3 KB · Views: 312
  • DSCN9874.JPG
    DSCN9874.JPG
    99.4 KB · Views: 271
  • DSCN9876.JPG
    DSCN9876.JPG
    147.7 KB · Views: 229
  • DSCN9884.JPG
    DSCN9884.JPG
    175.3 KB · Views: 311
While visiting a country... Get a book of basic birds found in that country and make a challenge of id'ing the birds.... That is half the fun in a new location

I would certainly agree that doing ids while I was there would be preferable, and certainly more fun. Unfortunately this trip was grabbing a few minutes with my camera while cramming a months travel into a week. As enjoyable as I find bird watching, this was far from a birding trip.

I checked further and it seems I was wrong on the placement of #1. It was Chambord, not Paris. And here's another shot of the same birds if it makes a difference.

Attachments

• DSCN0129.JPG
    DSCN0129.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 167
Definitely a House Martin on #1, and I agree with Gaz and Marietta on the others. I would try a Collins/Princeton Birds of Europe Second Edition Guide if you end up doing a lot of Europe birding in the future - really good book.

1 :- House Martin. The only black and white 'swallow' with a white rump and feathered legs in Europe
2 :- Feral Pigeon
3 :- Juvenile Common Moorhen ( now 'split' from Common Gallinule - the one you get in Florida )
4 :- Eurasian Herring Gull ( now 'split' from American Herring Gull )
5 :- Common Wood Pigeon. Big grey jobbie with a small head, white patch on the sides of the neck and a white bar on the wing in flight.

Adams being a bit optimistic ( BOU have only just aknowledged Azores Bullfinch!!!!!!!!!). Am. and Euro. Herring Gulls split by IOC, and John Boyd - good enough for me :t:

Chris

Adams being a bit optimistic ( BOU have only just aknowledged Azores Bullfinch!!!!!!!!!). Am. and Euro. Herring Gulls split by IOC, and John Boyd - good enough for me :t:

Chris

I know John Boyd, personally, an economics professor at FIU and by no means a taxonomist. Neither here nor there, but he is an adamant splitter -- the more splits the better.

Carlos

I know John Boyd, personally, an economics professor at FIU and by no means a taxonomist. Neither here nor there, but he is an adamant splitter -- the more splits the better.

Carlos

Economists are good splitters. Put 12 in a room with one problem to solve and they'll come up with at least 13 solutions.|:d|

David

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back