• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Springwatch returns to BBC 2 on the 28th May 2012 (1 Viewer)

Pencilled into the diary :t: Seems to have come around quick this year.....or is that just my age :smoke: :-O

hi Gill

No it is not your age..it is simply time, and it flies by, as we get older the years fly by at the rate of knots. :gh:

Yes, looking forward to the first episode a lot.

A link full of answers to all of our questions about this years series in 2012

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007qgm3/faq

Regards
Kathy
x

Last edited:
The goss is that Simon King has a long term promotional realationship with Zeiss, the BBC clarified their rules regarding presenters not wearing/using stuff they got paid to promote or even got for free. Zeiss didn't want him being seen on screen without their product so he had to choose Zeiss or Beeb.

The goss is that Simon King has a long term promotional realationship with Zeiss, the BBC clarified their rules regarding presenters not wearing/using stuff they got paid to promote or even got for free. Zeiss didn't want him being seen on screen without their product so he had to choose Zeiss or Beeb.

Mr Packham needs to be careful flashing the Nikon about I would guess?

If they're doing a segment where they are actively using their bins or scopes, then I don't see a problem with them using particular brands, as long as they're not shown to be getting the brand logos on camera deliberately. But if they're sitting in the studio or doing a piece direct to camera from an outside broadcast, then there's no need for them to have the bins in view.

What about jackets they wear, you regularly see the names North Face, Mountain Equipment, Berghaus, Prada (Packham again) in plain view, and it's quite possible they've been supplied to the presenters too, but there's no getting away from the fact that brand names are everywhere and it's hard to avoid them. If a BBC news presenter is out in a high street talking about the economy, there's going to be shots of shops in the background.

So in programmes like Springwatch, there's no getting away from the brand names on bins, because these are just tools of the trade, and the context of their use should be accepted, rather than them being on screen from an advertising point of view.

Just a reminder for anybody who it interested that Springwatch returns tonight. Details of tonight's and future episodes here. It appears that Unsprung is confined to Thursday nights now, with just two episodes over the three weeks.

Ron

Last edited:
A good start to the series and no cringeworthy moments. Lots of promise for the series ahead:t: What a difference Michaela is to Kamble.

I quite enjoyed the mole shots tonight which I hadn't realised were so rarely filmed. Good to see a Nuthatch nest and the inevitable Osprey scenes.

A good start to the series and no cringeworthy moments. Lots of promise for the series ahead:t: What a difference Michaela is to Kamble.

I quite enjoyed the mole shots tonight which I hadn't realised were so rarely filmed. Good to see a Nuthatch nest and the inevitable Osprey scenes.

I agree that the programme was well on par tonight. :t::-O:-O:-O:-O

The presenters had their communication in order. The baby birds where just the best. Sad the Wrens fledged today and the baby birds well on their way to adulthood.

I loved the short film about the Kingfishers by Charlie Hamilton - what stunning birds to watch.

Looking forward to the programme tomorrow.

Regards
Kathy
x

I, too, thought it was a very encouraging start to the new series. Once they had exhausted their quota of superlatives in the opening sequence it settled down to a much more sober and 'grown up' presentational style than previous series.

I thought the Mole item was excellent and Charlie was doing what he does best with his beautiful Kingfisher film. The Nuthatch nest makes a welcome change from the usual Tits and Finches and I am looking forward to hearing more about the Ospreys in the coming programmes.

Personally, I could have managed without the Foxes but I am sure it will be a popular feature with many viewers. I hope they maintain the standard for the rest of the series.

Ron

Last edited:
I quite enjoyed it too, especially after the underwhelming Planet Earth Live. I was impressed with the guy who will be filming the small creatures, he was almost getting philosophical when describing the different worldview of the insects compared to our own, and I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with.

Unfortunately I'm going to miss the second week due to being on holiday, but hopefully it'll be worth catching up with on iPlayer later.

Very good first programme I thought, some great stuff in there. I loved the baby Wrens and the Nuthatches and Charlie's piece on the Kingfishers. I enjoyed the foxes and the mole... and the mammal 'stump' was a great idea too.

I notice one thing which might be relevant. Last year the credits read:
Series Producer: Roger Webb
Executive Producer: Tim Scoones

This year they read:
Series Producer: Holly Spearing
Executive Producer: Fiona Pitcher

It seems they have had a bit of a 'shake up' behind the scenes for the new series. They do appear to have been listening to the viewers' criticisms.

Ron

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back