• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Back Garden Moths Community? (1 Viewer)

It is showing a standard response code which probably means something simple like the server being down. A 404 error sometimes indicates that the requested server resource will be found again at a future date.

I'm not a member of BGM but I often look at the site as it is a very good resource for seeing what moths have been trapped around the country which is very useful if your own trap has thrown up a teaser.

I know that BGM has suffered over the last few months from persistent "hacking" by an unscrupulous foreign pharmaceutical sales outfit which seems to be able to by-pass the latest technology of the web-provider and also get round the "secure" passwords in place.

I was on the site a couple of days ago when the latest attack was noticed and the Owner /Administrator (Simon Wantling?) posted to say (words to the effect) that he had had enough and this is "the end".

This site is a well run , friendly place with a virtually unbeatable ID resource provided by experienced moth enthusiasts all over the country and beyond. It will be a sad indictment of the internet if BGM is driven out of existence by this hacking activity.

I was on the point of joining this site and I do hope that Simon reconsiders his decision to finish and perhaps, with the help of a sympathetic web provider and maybe other security input, may continue to provide us with the excellent resource that BGM has become.

Tony

Last edited:
I'm not a member of BGM but I often look at the site as it is a very good resource for seeing what moths have been trapped around the country which is very useful if your own trap has thrown up a teaser.

I know that BGM has suffered over the last few months from persistent "hacking" by an unscrupulous foreign pharmaceutical sales outfit which seems to be able to by-pass the latest technology of the web-provider and also get round the "secure" passwords in place.

I was on the site a couple of days ago when the latest attack was noticed and the Owner /Administrator (Simon Wantling?) posted to say (words to the effect) that he had had enough and this is "the end".

This site is a well run , friendly place with a virtually unbeatable ID resource provided by experienced moth enthusiasts all over the country and beyond. It will be a sad indictment of the internet if BGM is driven out of existence by this hacking activity.

I was on the point of joining this site and I do hope that Simon reconsiders his decision to finish and perhaps, with the help of a sympathetic web provider and maybe other security input, may continue to provide us with the excellent resource that BGM has become.

Tony

I completely agree with you Tony and hope they overcome and endure. Even though I am Germany based, the people there were always very helpful to me as a beginner. It is an excellent site and it would be a great shame if it closed.

I completely agree with you Tony and hope they overcome and endure. Even though I am Germany based, the people there were always very helpful to me as a beginner. It is an excellent site and it would be a great shame if it closed.

Indeed.

Still a great ID resource here on BF of course!

Tony

Hi all, Thanks for all the concern. The site was unfortunately hacked by some kind person with nothing better to do but spoil other peoples hard work. I had decided to finally call it a day. However, I've received such a response that I've worked on the site and Im pleased so say, it's back up and running again. Thanks for your ongoing support.

Simon

That is great news Simon and thanks for all your hard work in getting the site up and running again. It is one site i used on a regular basis.

I can think of numerous words to describe hackers but none are printable on here!

I've just got back from Cornwall and I just saw the latest from this thread.
Thankyou so much Simon for deciding to persevere. I'm sure to a couple of leps from the West Country I can't Id so I'll be asking about them in due course

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back