• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seeking Help with Identifying and Restoring Habicht DV 8x30 Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Zasvasta

Bosnia and Herzegovina
Hello fellow bird enthusiasts,

I hope this post finds you all in good spirits. I come to this knowledgeable community seeking advice and guidance regarding a pair of binoculars that hold both sentimental and potentially historical significance.

I recently stumbled upon an old Habicht DV 8x30 binoculars while going through my late grandfather's belongings. I have limited knowledge about binoculars, but I believe this community's expertise can help shed some light on their history and condition.

My uncle mentioned that these binoculars could be my grandfather's military service equipment from the 1950s. However, I'm uncertain about their exact age and origins. The serial code of the binoculars is 19274. I tried using the tables from one of the threads on this forum to decipher their age, but I'm finding it a bit challenging. If anyone could guide me on how to interpret these tables or provide insights based on the serial code, I would greatly appreciate it.

Unfortunately, the binoculars are not in the best condition. I'm interested in restoring and cleaning them to potentially bring them back to their former glory. I reached out to Swarovski Optik's customer service, but they informed me that they do not work with binoculars older than 1985. I'm uncertain whether mine falls within this category. Swarovski requested photos for a more accurate assessment, but I'm currently on a summer trip and unable to provide them at the moment.

Additionally, I'm curious if anyone knows of a way to acquire a suitable case and lens covers for the Habicht 8x30 binoculars. These accessories would not only contribute to their functionality but also hold sentimental value for me.

Your collective wisdom and insights would mean a lot to me during this journey to uncover the history of these binoculars and potentially restore them. Thank you in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Warm regards!

You should find some useful info in this thread: Second-Hand Habicht Porro’s To Use

Swarovski Optik should at least be able to provide a date of manufacture based on the serial number. Photos would certainly help when you have the means to take and send them.

"DV" apparently refers to a kind of double coating - less efficient at transmitting light than modern multi-coatings, but I have binoculars from approximately the same era as yours that are still very usable and functional.

Suitable case: Swarovski produce a case for the current version of the Habicht 8x30; or you can search for an old rigid leather case (but avoid storing your binoculars in that type of case).

lens covers: you can measure the outer diameter of the barrels and buy lens covers from Ebay, or ideally try them for fit at an optics shop. NB. most binoculars of that era did not have them, and I don't use them with many of my own binoculars.

When you say they are not in the best condition, what do you mean - is the exterior condition poor, or are there issues with the optics (haze, fungus, alignment)?

You have inherited a binocular that once serviced, should give you decades' more service. Congratulations.

Hi Zasvasta,

Swarovski KG commenced commercial binocular production in 1948 with the 6x30 and 7x42 Porro prism models.
Both used the same eyepiece, and the 7x42 had a longer objective (front housing) with larger diameter lenses.

In 1949 a new company Swarovski Optik KG was registered along with the Habicht brand, and since then
Habicht has been the main designation for the metal bodied Porro prism binoculars that are still in production!

In 1952 the 8x30W model was introduced. It had a new wide angle eyepiece, and used the same objective assembly as the 6x30.
The 10x40W followed in 1954 using the objective assembly of the 7x42.

Your 8x30W should be marked with Habicht - in flowing script on the left prism plate - see the example from Jan
in the second image in post #21 at: 'RetroPorro' a Possibility says Leica
(And if your grandfather used the binocular for military service, does it have any additional markings to those shown in the picture?)

Your model will date from 1954 or 1955 (8x30W serial numbering started from 10,000).
See the third table in post #7 at: Habicht 7x42 Question

And as Patudo notes, DV refers to the dual coating that Swarovski used on the Habichts for several decades.
For more see post #4 in the link that he provided.

John

Last edited:
Hi Zasvasta,

Swarovski KG commenced commercial binocular production in 1948 with the 6x30 and 7x42 Porro prism models.
Both used the same eyepiece, and the 7x42 had a longer objective (front housing) with larger diameter lenses.

In 1949 a new company Swarovski Optik KG was registered along with the Habicht brand, and since then
Habicht has been the main designation for the metal bodied Porro prism binoculars that are still in production!

In 1952 the 8x30W model was introduced. It had a new wide angle eyepiece, and used the same objective assembly as the 6x30.
The 10x40W followed in 1954 using the objective assembly of the 7x42.

Your 8x30W should be marked with Habicht - in flowing script on the left prism plate - see the example from Jan
in the second image in post #21 at: 'RetroPorro' a Possibility says Leica
(And if your grandfather used the binocular for military service, does it have any additional markings to those shown in the picture?)

Your model will date from 1954 or 1955 (8x30W serial numbering started from 10,000).
See the third table in post #7 at: Habicht 7x42 Question

And as Patudo notes, DV refers to the dual coating that Swarovski used on the Habichts for several decades.
For more see post #4 in the link that he provided.

John
Dear John,

Thank you very much for your detailed reply. I appreciate it. Currently I am on my summer trip and don't have the binoculars next to me, but the marking is the same as the one you mentioned.

Regarding some other markings, I will check it out once I get home and I will provide you with an update.

Thank you once again!

I wish you all the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back