• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

saker/eyeglasses a problem (1 Viewer)

Gary R

Love my new Saker without eyeglasses but at a shooting event where they are mandatory, glasses are a problem with the Saker. Is there a cure or is that just the way it is?
If this is the case I will be looking for another spotter, which would be the most eyeglass friendly choice?
Gary

Gary, Sorry you have this problem with this scope. Some of the cheaper solutions might be a Pentax 65 ED angled spotter with the right long eye relief astro eyepiece. The Celestron 65mm Regal F-ED about $400 and this one will take long ER astro eyepieces. Frank D had both of these if I remember right.
I guess you are using the Saker scope set at the higher settings.

Yes, the problem is at the higher magnification. I have looked thru the Celestron product and frankly I was not at all impressed. Perhaps it was this one particular example but it was not even close to the Saker in sharpness.

Yes, the problem is at the higher magnification. I have looked thru the Celestron product and frankly I was not at all impressed. Perhaps it was this one particular example but it was not even close to the Saker in sharpness.

I found the Celestron 65 sharp at lower mags but it did drop off quite badly when zooming. The Saker / Fieldmaster holds the quality through the zoom range.
I used a cheap 12mm BST Explorer eyepiece (about 32 x I think) on the Celestron and it was superb, but still too heavy for me.

Andy

If you don't need WP, one of the 72ED or 66ED refractors [used $250], Orion 80ED etc. Other than that, big jump in price for the top end spotters. Find a used Nikon 60mm Fieldscope with one of the high power eyepieces with long ER. One just sold on here for $300, well it was straight. etc.,etc.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back