• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Pipit ID? (1 Viewer)

EdvardH

Hi, people!

I am working on my pipits here, trying to understand their apperances better. Can you help with what makes you able to ID these, or explain why we can't be sure?

(1) Photo taken on grassland on an outer island on the western coast, in july. The "heavy" and clear drawings on the white breast and belly, and location, would suggest meadow pipit. Two questions. Is it common with such a big black patch on the breast? And the dark brown eyestripe from the bill to the eye? Neither of those traits features on the drawings or descriptions in my field guide?

The location (Ona, Norway) is known to have rare birds from time to time, thought more often in the migration seasons. (olive-backed pipits and pechora pipits are both listed there, for example).

(2) Another bird from the same location, also in july. There is virtually no trees on the island, so habitat not very suitable for tree pipit. But still, to me (not very trustworthy!) it sort of look like a tree pipit. The black drawings on the side of the belly is finer than those on the breast, and the bill/head-profile better match the "more wedge-like"-description of a tree pipit. But shouldn't there be more yellowish tones if it were a tree pipit? So is it perhaps still a meadow pipit?

(3) Photo taken on the Norwegian shoreline, on a spot with lots of seaweed popular for birds stopping by. Photo is taken in early October. Bad photo, but this is obviously a darker pipit. Can it be anything else than a rock pipit?

(4) Photo taken again in mainland western Norway in july. It sat on top of some shrub near a small forest area. Is the small white area to the right of the eye, almost on the back of the head, an indication of tree pipit?

(5) This bird, taken in a forest area in may, is less "pure white" underneath, but that might be a trick of the light. Any indiciton of which kind this is?

Strange... I had uploaded them I thought. Here comes:

Attachments

• pipits2-2.jpg
    pipits2-2.jpg
    555.9 KB · Views: 185
  • pipits2-4.jpg
    pipits2-4.jpg
    655 KB · Views: 213
  • pipits2-7.jpg
    pipits2-7.jpg
    763.8 KB · Views: 205
  • pipits-9.jpg
    pipits-9.jpg
    404.6 KB · Views: 184
  • pipits-5.jpg
    pipits-5.jpg
    747.9 KB · Views: 267
1. Mipit
2. bit of an unusual grey headed Mipit
3. Rock Pipit (maybe a littoralis with that supercilium)
4. Mipit
5. still think Mipit despite minimal flank streaking

Thanks for your answers!

Do you have these as well?

Attachments

• pip130502.jpg
    pip130502.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 105
  • pip130502b-2.jpg
    pip130502b-2.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 222
  • pip130619_jok.jpg
    pip130619_jok.jpg
    671.5 KB · Views: 112
Interesting Meadow Pipit. One of those ones with a well-marked face/head that make you look twice.

i'd agree with meadow pipit for 5 in #3. "facial expression" is open, supercillium is weak and i think that is indeed the tip of the long hindclaw (left leg) visible just below the branch it is sitting on. not only the marked moustacial but also the apparently weak flank streaking is irritating!

I knew I shouldn't have been switching my mind around so much 8-P

I'm just gonna retract both my Song Thrush/Mistle Thursh IDs and leave it up to others to decide, after all I haven't seen a Mistle Thrush in months!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back