• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meadow Pipit Düsseldorf [Germany] Confirmation needed (1 Viewer)

David_

Germany
Hello,

yesterday I took some photos of what I am quite sure is a Meadow Pipit. But the evening light gave the birds breast a bit of an orange color which was a bit confusing (in the photos it's not as strong as it appeared in field). The bird was moving between a tree and the neighboring field. Just to make sure that I got the ID right: Is it a Meadow Pipit? (Also I don't know what else it could be as it doesn't really look right for a Tree Pipit)

Thank you!

P1320742.jpegP1320750.jpegP1320756.jpegP1320763.jpegP1320767.jpeg

Hello David,

I agree with you, its a Meadow Pipit for me, too. Reasons:
  • on the picture with the bird sitting on the ground, back seems too olive/dirty brownish for a Tree Pipit (I get the feeling, real colouration can be judged best=with confidence from this picture)
  • the peechy underparts seems to reach onto the belly. Many Tree Pipits (at least) have a paler, colder hue in the yellowish range. And it is more restricted to the breast, not reaching onto the belly like in your belly. Huge caveat: is it real, or enhanced by (or even mainly the result of) the warm evening light
  • flank streaking is too strong for many (at least) Tree Pipits. Yes Butty, there goes the ID-book features .... (thanks!)
  • head pattern seems ok for both species= it isnt an 100% ID-book face for either species imo.
  • You have identified it as a Meadow Pipit in the field. There are more features/jizz judgeable in the field (you dont activly notice them, but your brain unconsciously compare the bird with your experience of both species. Dont underestimate this!)
I just noticed, that this post came out more confident than its intended to be. I have seen so many Meadow and Tree Pipits over the years, but the threads here made me realize, that I still have much to learn even in species where I thought I have much experience with. You know what comes now? Yes: thanks to all!

Thank you Alexander!
There are more features/jizz judgeable in the field (you dont activly notice them, but your brain unconsciously compare the bird with your experience of both species. Dont underestimate this!)
Totally agree with this but sometimes I wonder if I am relying too much on this as I often struggle to point out the exact features that lead me to an ID.

Warning! This thread is more than 2 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back