• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Checklist of the birds of the Western Palearctic (EBN Italia) (1 Viewer)

MarcelHaas

After months of research and discussions, we are happy to announce the EBN Italia Checklist of the birds of the Western Palearctic (WP). The list exists of species reliably recorded in the WP (sensu Cramp et al 1977-1994) and, more importantly, also lists all subspecies recorded within the WP with their status. The text is in Italian, but an edition in English is in preparation. We follow the taxonomic classification of the International Ornithological Committee (IOC) (www.worldbirdnames.org) and the decisions of all national rarities committees; only species that occur as genuine vagrants (and are thus accepted into category A and B of the national lists) are listed, but category C species have been listed separately.

The list can be downloaded at: http://ebnitalia.it/easyNews/NewsLeggi.asp?NewsID=29

We welcome suggestions, corrections and if you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask us.

With best wishes,

Gianluigi Castelli (castelligianluigi @ fastwebnet.it or milvus @ fastwebnet.it)
Pietro D'Amelio (pietro.damelio @ yahoo.it)
Marcel Haas (zoodauma @ gmail.com)

anyway, what do you think about the check?

Fabulous list! I enjoyed looking through it for half an hour. The only little mistake I could see was that Common Waxbill is only noted for Spain, whereas its more widespread and abundant in much of Portugal.

Even with much re-editing a work of this dimension is bound to have some little errors.

We are preparing an English list, anyway with a column of English names already included, and with the subspecies being in latin , it's only the place names that need translating and most are pretty obvious I guess.....

Last edited:
Simon Wates;29 652 said:
Fabulous list! I enjoyed looking through it for half an hour. The only little mistake I could see was that Common Waxbill is only noted for Spain, whereas its more widespread and abundant in much of Portugal.

Even with much re-editing a work of this dimension is bound to have some little errors.

Strange..., we contacted Gonçalo Elias for Portugual birds. Is Common Waxbill in Category C in Portugual?

For a number of years now I have maintained an IOC list of WP birds, with input from many of the keenest WP listers (including PAC, Chris Bell, David Monticelli etc). 'Our' list is reflected in the WP list at www.netfugl.dk, though the taxonomy used there differs from the IOC. See http://www.netfugl.dk/ranking.php?id=wp&mode=ranking for detailed lists.

Happily, the 2 lists are very similar, but there are a few differences which might merit further discussion.

Included in our list but not in the Italian one are:

1. Arabian Golden Sparrow Passer euchlorus, now accepted on the Kuwait list on the basis of a bird at Al Abraq in 2010.
2. Brown-throated Martin is included in the Italian list (correct of course), but Shirihai states in 'Birds of Israel' that at least one of the Israeli records was of the Asian race chinensis, split by IOC as Grey-throated Martin. So should this be included too?

Our list does not include the following, all of which feature in the Italian list:

1. Black-headed Penduline Tit - the southern shore of the Caspian Sea appears to represent the area where this taxon meets 'western' Penduline Tit. Harrap & Quinn describe a hybrid population in this area, so I guess the question is "has a pure macronyx been recorded in the WP, ideally trapped and/or photographed?"

2. African Reed Warbler - there seems to be some doubt about the DNA of the trapped birds, described I believe as 'closest to' African Reed. Ongoing work by Jiguet may tell us more, but it does not seem certain that this species should be added just yet....

3. Mugimaki Flycatcher - I know that Haas includes Mugimaki on the basis of a 2007 record from Russia, but there is no photo (I could be wrong!) and I am not sure if this is good enough for a WP first? A bird in Italy recently (Oct 2011) looked good at face value but I was told it had not been accepted. Has this record now been accepted?

4. Daurian Partridge - I have not seen this included on any recent WP list and I am not sure if it has a confirmed self-sustaining population?

5. Chilean Flamingo - the last info we had was that this species was not included on Cat C of the German list (where they breed). Has this changed?

6. Yellow-headed Amazon - same as Chilean Flamingo.....

I appreciate that you might have access to recent information which we haven't seen, so some of these queries might be easily resolved.

Great job though, including all the races in your list must have involved quite some effort.

Best wishes and good birding, Graeme Joynt

3. Mugimaki Flycatcher - I know that Haas includes Mugimaki on the basis of a 2007 record from Russia, but there is no photo (I could be wrong!) and I am not sure if this is good enough for a WP first? A bird in Italy recently (Oct 2011) looked good at face value but I was told it had not been accepted. Has this record now been accepted?

[/QUOTE]

Hi Graeme,

I'm not sure where you heard the Italian Mugimaki from Oct 2011 had been rejected. It has in fact been accepted in Category A of the Italian list by the Italian Records Committee (COI), of which I am co-chairman. The latest COI report has not been published yet but hopefully will be soon.

cheers

Ottavio Janni

For a number of years now I have maintained an IOC list of WP birds, with input from many of the keenest WP listers (including PAC, Chris Bell, David Monticelli etc). 'Our' list is reflected in the WP list at www.netfugl.dk, though the taxonomy used there differs from the IOC. See http://www.netfugl.dk/ranking.php?id=wp&mode=ranking for detailed lists.

Happily, the 2 lists are very similar, but there are a few differences which might merit further discussion.

Included in our list but not in the Italian one are:

1. Arabian Golden Sparrow Passer euchlorus, now accepted on the Kuwait list on the basis of a bird at Al Abraq in 2010.
2. Brown-throated Martin is included in the Italian list (correct of course), but Shirihai states in 'Birds of Israel' that at least one of the Israeli records was of the Asian race chinensis, split by IOC as Grey-throated Martin. So should this be included too?

Our list does not include the following, all of which feature in the Italian list:

1. Black-headed Penduline Tit - the southern shore of the Caspian Sea appears to represent the area where this taxon meets 'western' Penduline Tit. Harrap & Quinn describe a hybrid population in this area, so I guess the question is "has a pure macronyx been recorded in the WP, ideally trapped and/or photographed?"

2. African Reed Warbler - there seems to be some doubt about the DNA of the trapped birds, described I believe as 'closest to' African Reed. Ongoing work by Jiguet may tell us more, but it does not seem certain that this species should be added just yet....

4. Daurian Partridge - I have not seen this included on any recent WP list and I am not sure if it has a confirmed self-sustaining population?

5. Chilean Flamingo - the last info we had was that this species was not included on Cat C of the German list (where they breed). Has this changed?

6. Yellow-headed Amazon - same as Chilean Flamingo.....

I appreciate that you might have access to recent information which we haven't seen, so some of these queries might be easily resolved.

Great job though, including all the races in your list must have involved quite some effort.

Best wishes and good birding, Graeme Joynt

Cheers Graeme.

RE Arabian Golden Sparrow: I know of this record (of course) but didn't know yet that it has been accepted onto the Kuwaiti list. Was it accepted as a genuine vagrant?

RE chinensis: well, I am not sure whether it is accepted by the Israeli RC. I know I have corresponded about this and did some research into this while working on my book. The result was not to include it... Especially with the recent article in Sandgrouse, dismissing all the Israeli records!

RE penduline tit: it's on our (= me and PAC) list to investigate further... ;)

RE African Reed Warbler: not sure about this... Once it is revealed that the DNA doesn't match, we'll delete it. For now, it has been published (and with proper argumentation), so we should leave it at that...

RE Mugimaki: that's also on our list... But that's just been made easier by the reaction below! :)

RE cat C 'bullshit': I couldn't care less about all those species so I leave them up to others to decide :) I do believe Daurian Partridge should be removed indeed, having discussed this with Arnoud van den Berg during the preparation of the DB names list.

Hi Graeme,

I'm not sure where you heard the Italian Mugimaki from Oct 2011 had been rejected. It has in fact been accepted in Category A of the Italian list by the Italian Records Committee (COI), of which I am co-chairman. The latest COI report has not been published yet but hopefully will be soon.

cheers

Ottavio Janni

That's great news Ottavio! I was told it had no chance of being accepted as a genuine vagrant... But glad that's not the case! Any thoughts on the October 1957 record?

RE chinensis: well, I am not sure whether it is accepted by the Israeli RC. I know I have corresponded about this and did some research into this while working on my book. The result was not to include it... Especially with the recent article in Sandgrouse, dismissing all the Israeli records!

Perhaps you should read the Sandgrouse paper a little more carefully. It's here: http://www.researchgate.net/publica...iew_of_the_species'_status_in_the_Middle_East (you need an account to read it).

We didn't mention, never mind discuss, Riparia paludicola chinensis! The fact that we (Andrew Grieve and myself) consider that taxon Riparia diluta has not been proven to occur in Israel is irrelevant to the case of R. paludicola chinensis, which needs to be evaluated separately, not by inference.

Thanks guys, some interesting stuff there...

Ottavio, that's great news about the Mugimaki Flycatcher, this species is overdue an appearance on the WP list. I will let the netfugl guys know so that it can be added there.

Marcel, thanks for the feedback, I know you share my interest/obsession with the WP list! I hope you will produce a new version of your book in the years to come - it is something to be very proud of. The Arabian Golden Sparrow has been accepted, see http://birdsofkuwait.com/annotated_checklist.shtml for confirmation.

re chinensis, not sure what to make of this now! I can try to contact someone in Israel to see if this record is accepted....unless you have already tried that?

I note your comment about Cat C species and I am sure you are not alone...however, most listers count them and so we try to keep them correct for listing purposes of course. I can't exactly translate the Italian, but is Common Pheasant in Cat C for a particular reason? I always thought that it was a natural WP bird in the southeast corner? And for Ruddy Duck, do the Terceira and Flores records deserve the benefit of the doubt as wild birds?

Also on Cat C, one for Ottavio maybe? Do you have an opinion on the position of Erckel's Francolin on the list? It always seems odd that a bird confined to an island of 1 square kilometre can be on the list! Of course you will know more than I do about this and perhaps there are other, more widespread populations?

Going forward, this thread would be a good place to share knowledge/thoughts on the WP list generally. What do you think?

Best wishes and thank you again for your replies, Graeme Joynt

Grey-throated Martin

RE chinensis: well, I am not sure whether it is accepted by the Israeli RC.
Riparia paludicola is on the IRDC Checklist as Cat A – apparently not updated since Mar 2007 but the species hasn't been removed from the list in any of the subsequently published IRDC Bulletins.

IRDC's records database contains only one record (Jul 2003), but the Israbirding.com Birds of Israel - Checklist states "3 records (1986, 1989, 2003)".

Shirihai 1996 (Birds of Israel) included two records (May 1985 (presumably an error), Apr 1989); and Shirihai 1999 (Fifty species new to Israel, 1979–1998...) included the May 1986 and Apr 1989 records.

PS. OK, sorry, I guess your point is whether IRDC has accepted the records as chinensis! :t:

Last edited:
Perhaps you should read the Sandgrouse paper a little more carefully. It's here: http://www.researchgate.net/publica...iew_of_the_species'_status_in_the_Middle_East (you need an account to read it).

We didn't mention, never mind discuss, Riparia paludicola chinensis! The fact that we (Andrew Grieve and myself) consider that taxon Riparia diluta has not been proven to occur in Israel is irrelevant to the case of R. paludicola chinensis, which needs to be evaluated separately, not by inference.

You are absolutely right, of course! Got my martins confused... That's what you get when you don't check the reference again... My bad!

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back