• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Oriole, Vietnam (1 Viewer)

dalat

Switzerland
Hi,
i photographed this bird yesterday in Hanoi, in a spot good for migrants.

Pictures are not too good unfortunately, so here a short description of what I remember seeing:
- whitish belly with strong streaks, also on throat I think
- dark cap and face
- upper back brownish, lower back and rump clrealy very light grey
- beak rather long and light color, almost blueish

It perched openly, one time together with some Drongos, the other time with a Black-winged Cuckooshrike.

Female Maroon Oriole seems the most likely option, but they don't have this grey back.
Female Silver Oriole fits a bit better, though they shouldn't have a brown upper back and I am rather sure that I saw that. Also Silver Oriole is rare and has never been recorded anywhere in Vietnam (though looking at the distribution map, theoretically they could pass Hanoi on migration).

Am I missing something really obvious?

Attachments

• P1040670.JPG
    P1040670.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 84
  • P1040747.JPG
    P1040747.JPG
    86.8 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
hhhmm, interesting!

I have had a go at lightening your image, and whilst I have no "proper" refs to have this illustration looks like a promising match for your photo.

Attachments

• P1040670-3.jpg
    P1040670-3.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 79
Hi both, thanks a lot for your hmmms and confirming the Silver Oriole! That is a new one for Vietnam then, and a great one on top. Wow!

Actually it was the second "first" of my trip, also in Hanoi we found a Paddyfield Warbler begining of April. Hanoi is just great during migration.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back