• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P600 (1 Viewer)

Skean

Ladies and Gents,
Not sure why or not sure if it was a good idea but I went ahead and purchased the P600. As a long time digiscoper and somewhat world famous (in my own mind) with this technique I am certainly used to torture when it comes to getting a reasonable decent pic. Got the camera Monday and here in New England the weather and birds have not been favorable for taking pics this week and having to work for a living does not help either. Had a Robin sit still for a sec or two and here is the result.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pi_birder/14031480383/
Hand held at I think was full zoom.
Pretty decent given the lighting and zoom (60x)
Rest in mind the conditions I took this under were way less than favorable.
More to come. Going down to Cape May NJ on May 2nd to really test this cam out.
Skean
a.k.a Richard Messer
Lawrence MA
BTW some of my best digiscoped pics over the last decade:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pi_birder

Oh my I see the error of my first post! In my first post I mention that I am a long time digiscoper, which is certainly true, but the reason I mentioned that was to contrast what I am using now to get pictures. The Nikon P600 which is a "bridge camera". These pictures were not taken in conjunction with a scope. Only the camera zoom is being used. So the challenge/task is to show what a $450.00 U.S.D camera can produce in the field with regards to bird/nature photography. So far with my very limited use I can say that the results are certainly on par with a digiscoping outfit and far, far cheaper and easier to use. I am very sorry for the confusion and can certainly see how I created it thanks to your post!
Skean

Did you use the monopod with the Chipping Sparrow? And about how long were the focal lengths on both birds?

Bob

Last edited:
Yes I did use a mono pod. I used shutter priority to get the pic so in that mode you set shutter speed at let the camera decide FL. So that said FL was long 5.6+ You can look at all the EXIF data in the link to the shots. This camera is slow for sure when if comes to FL and AF.

Yes I know there is a "bird watching mode" with scene but using shutter priority seemed to me like the way to go because I get to fix ISO setting and min shutter. I do not think that is available in "bird watching". I may be wrong and would be very happy if I was! ISO fixed is very important to me because I find if you leave it up to these point and shoot cams at high magnification = too much noise.
Skean

I am very impressed, looks much more versatile then my old P80. Amazing it cost the same price that what I paid for my P80 , 6 years ago. !!!
Mike

Last edited:
Four beautiful captures, well done. Love the heron image. Maybe have to look at this camera later in the year. Its certainly do a good job for you!

Okay last post for the P600. The camera has its ups and downs for sure. AF an be a real bear to deal with and the EVF is very difficult to use. I find that the IQ is very good with proper light. It must be expected a cam in this price range would not be perfect. So here is the link again for Flickr album that has some of the best shots I got over the the last couple of weeks or so:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pi_birder/sets/72157644449816162/
Not sure if I will update further. Think this will give guys a good idea what the cam can do. Please keep in mind I used a tablet PC screen to decide what to post and if it looked good so the pics may look like crap on a real monitor.
Regards,
Skean

Okay last post for the P600. The camera has its ups and downs for sure. AF an be a real bear to deal with and the EVF is very difficult to use. I find that the IQ is very good with proper light. It must be expected a cam in this price range would not be perfect. So here is the link again for Flickr album that has some of the best shots I got over the the last couple of weeks or so:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/pi_birder/sets/72157644449816162/
Not sure if I will update further. Think this will give guys a good idea what the cam can do. Please keep in mind I used a tablet PC screen to decide what to post and if it looked good so the pics may look like crap on a real monitor.
Regards,
Skean
Enough to convinced me to trade my P80, great pics.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back