• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

How to establish new Bird Conservation Organization ? (1 Viewer)

ALI123XYZ

Anyone knows how to start i.e. found/form/establish a new society/organization on particular groups of birds, just like World Parrot Trust, which is solely devoted to conservation of parrots all around the world.

My friend wants to start an organization on nectar feeding birds (pollinators) , i.e hummingbirds (340+ species) (Trochilidae), sunbirds (132 species) (Nectariniidae), and the honey-eaters (182 species) (Meliphagidae).

See this: Ornithophily

Very little is known about the Hummingbirds of South America (where great diversity is found) and sunbirds are also very poorly known to science along with honey-eaters.

Now, the main work of the organization will be of showing the beauty and priceless benefits of these wonderful pollinator birds to the whole world, along with scientific and conservation work (of endangered species) being the priority. There are few societies on hummingbirds in America, but they are of very small scale (working mainly in USA and Canada) and there is no for the sunbirds. This would be leading and one of its kind which will be solely devoted to these marvelous group of birds.

There is a very large number of people who love these birds, particularly hummingbirds of the Americas and this will be a benefit to new organization to grow its membership etc.

Any help with starting all this from scratch will be greatly appreciated.

If you are interested in this good cause, then please reply here with your suggestions, interests and involvement. You can also PM me to discuss it further.

We want to make it happen. These wonderful living jewels must be appreciated and must be explored in depth. Some species are so poorly known to science, even in this age of global village.

Looking forward to making it a reality.

Thanks

The trouble is the world doesn't work like that. Your pollinator birds are a part of an ecosystem within which they fulfill a role. You need to preserve the ecosystem in order to preserve the birds. You cannot preserve the birds in isolation. Your aim is wrong.

Discover your country's conservation organisations and contribute to them. That is the best way to help the species you particularly like.

Frankly liking particular species and ignoring others is not good conservation practice and will fail.

Do not attempt to divide conservation funds between organisations as that will result in inefficiencies and spending on the overheads of two organisations instead of one set of overheads and more funds spent on actual conservation work.

John

@Farnboro John

Hi John,

Thanks for your feedback. Preserving and studying particular group/s of birds are totally different things. The aim of a new organization is not only to conserve birds (including their fragile habitats) but to better understand the numerous elusive species of these flying jewels of the avian world. As i said before, some species are still very poorly known to science and work of such an organization will be to explore those hidden gems. Remember,

“In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we understand; and we will understand only what we have been taught.”

You said that liking particular species and ignoring others is not good conservation practice. Well, if we follow this statement, then all these conservation organizations, for example, World Parrot Trust, should not be there in existence which are solely devoted to conservation of only one group of birds, i.e parrots. WPT is not alone, as i can give you a considerable list of such organizations from around the world which are devoted to studying and conserving only one group of birds or mammals, from pheasants to birds of prey, rhinos to pangolins and cranes to flightless birds and so on.

And lastly, an organization which is devoted to particular group/s of birds/animals does not mean that they dont care about other organisms or their ecosystems. They are equally concerned about other species and their diversity. But they are more focused to their chosen species on which such an organization is formed by like-minded individuals. (people who are passionate about specific group of organisms).

I hope this helps clear up any confusion.

Thanks

Thank you for your response. I recognise that study and conservation are different things. I also agree that an interest group such as the World Parrot Trust is probably no bad thing - up to a point.

Perhaps you would accept that the reasoning I offered you - both economic and ecological - is valid. The Wildfowl Trust changed its name and aims to become the Wildfowl and Wetlands Trust in recognition of that truth. The World Wildlife Fund likewise became the Worldwide Fund for Nature.

If you want the best of both worlds, by all means create your organisation for the study of your special interest bird groups - even use it as a fund raising vehicle - but then dispense the funds as grants to extant conservation organisations working in areas that can further your global aims.

Cheers

John

If you want the best of both worlds, by all means create your organisation for the study of your special interest bird groups - even use it as a fund raising vehicle - but then dispense the funds as grants to extant conservation organisations working in areas that can further your global aims.

Yes, you are right John and i also already mentioned that scientific work (studying them) will be the priority of such organization/society/trust/association.

To all interested individuals: If you like to be part in establishing such an interest group of these marvelous birds, then please PM me or post here.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back