• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Binos with ergonomics similar to B&L Elite WP? (1 Viewer)

jremmons

Wildlife Biologist
Hi all,

In my seemingly never ending search for a binocular that just fits me for the vast majority of situations, I've realized that only the B&L Elite Waterproof roof prism binoculars has ever just felt perfectly fitted to my personal ergonomic quirks. Can anyone recommend an ergonomically similar binocular?

Thanks,
Justin

I'm looking at the 8x42...'
Looks like a ribbed, 'long closed bridge' style with longish eyepiece protrusion.
There are dozens that match that description, so it's hard to say.
Maybe it's a heftier diameter in combination with a wide bridge you
can knit fingers over.

In that case, the Vortex family seems close...
Viper HD, etc.

The Zeiss Terra also has a wide deck.
The super-fast focus bugged me.

The Opticron 8x42 HR WP looks almost the same
as your target shape.

The Bushnell Elite is still for sale at b&h.....
...are you looking for better? cheaper?

O_N,

The Viper HD is somewhat similar, but still not quite right - the bridge doesn't extend as far down the body as I'd like.

I'm looking in that "sub-alpha" $800-1200 range.

Thanks!

Justin

Zeiss Terra are similar, but I don't know of anything optically better than the Bushnell Elite in the $800-$1200 range anyway, so I guess if it were me, I'd just get another pair of Elites.

I've owned 3 pairs of those and every single one produced a fantastic image. Got talked out of all three by good friends of mine.

My current optical love affair is with a well-worn pair of 10x42 Nikon LX-L's that IMO are very comparable to the Elites ergonomically, if not slightly better to me, due to the tapered barrel design. I think the Nikon's image is a little bit more pleasing due to better color fidelity. I would not trade my LX-L's for anything I've ever used. I sold a pair of mint SLC's a week ago because of them.

I do have a pair of 10x43 dual hinge Bushnell Elites on the way, mostly out of curiosity, so I'll have a chance to compare those to what I remember about the newer 10x42 Elites and my current LX-L's. I'm Looking forward to it. I spent a year trying to find a pair of 10x43 Elites after seeing some around another birder's neck (he let me take a quick peek through them) but they are hard as heck to find. So I eventually bought the SLC's, then the LX-L's in the meantime. When I finally came across the 10x43 Elites, I just couldn't lay off. ha, ha.

Last edited:
J a B Watcher .... I suspect you have received your 10X43 Bushnell Elite by now. If you have a chance, maybe you could post some comments in the Bushnell sub forum. If you already have, then please let me know where to look and I will track the comments down! I was out of town for awhile and have fallen way behind in my forum reading, so sorry if I missed it.

Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back