• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Northern Mallorca in October (1 Viewer)

AndyS56

Just looking at the photos from my recent trip and would be grateful for your help/corrections. I'm pretty sure that 3 is a Purple Gallinule and that the last is a Night Heron.

TIA

Andy

Attachments

• _T9A7159.jpg
    _T9A7159.jpg
    451.1 KB · Views: 290
  • _T9A7278.jpg
    _T9A7278.jpg
    356.1 KB · Views: 209
  • _T9A7318.jpg
    _T9A7318.jpg
    408.4 KB · Views: 197
  • NR6A5107.jpg
    NR6A5107.jpg
    403.2 KB · Views: 268
  • _T9A7204.jpg
    _T9A7204.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 95
It might soon become important if 4 is the local balearica or a migrating northern ssp ?

Niels

What is interesting to me - and I have spoken to Michele Vigano and Andrea Corso about this after trip to Corsica this year- is that despite the idea that they are paler than striata, both balearica and tyrrhenica actually seem darker but warmer. This is largely due to the fact that not only is the whole bird warmer in hue, but that the fringes/edges to the tertials and coverts are a warmer cream colour - less the contrasting cream white of striata.

In general the streaking on the crown is softer, with less dark centres and less pale edges - see attached photo.

Brian S

PS - also forgot to mention the streaking on the neck side (below and behind the ear coverts) which on tyrrhenica at least is much more subdued.

Attachments

• Spotted Flycatcher tyrrhenica Corsica May 2015 BSmall res.jpg
    Spotted Flycatcher tyrrhenica Corsica May 2015 BSmall res.jpg
    579.7 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:
What is interesting to me - and I have spoken to Michele Vigano and Andrea Corso about this after trip to Corsica this year- is that despite the idea that they are paler than striata, both balearica and tyrrhenica actually seem darker but warmer. This is largely due to the fact that not only is the whole bird warmer in hue, but that the fringes/edges to the tertials and coverts are a warmer cream colour - less the contrasting cream white of striata.

In general the streaking on the crown is softer, with less dark centres and less pale edges - see attached photo.

Brian S

Thanks!

Whether the general colour of balearica/tyrrhenica is darker or paler (Vaurie) than nominate striata has to be settled by comparing series of skins in the same state of abrasion and wear.
Some of the photographs in the article linked to are of very worn birds in (late?) summer making comparison to striata difficult.

I fully agree that the OP 1cy bird (with some still unmoulted juvenile body feathers) alone on the wing lenght is most probably a vagrant striata.

Such a notable difference in wing lenght should result in shorter primary projection, provided the whole bird isn't altogether noticeably smaller than striata......

Peter
http://www.erobertparker.com/bboard/showthread.php?t=220513

Nice photos Andy and I agree with the identifications suggested.
I am a resident birder but by no means an expert on the finer points of plumage differences between striata and balearica Spotted flycatchers. All I can confirm is that balearica do appear much paler with more subtle streaking to the crown, warmer fringes to the tertials giving less contrast overall and little streaking on the breast.
When I visit the UK I am struck by how much darker striata appear with much more noticeable contrast overall. If I can find one that is, they are very common here. Striata do move through the island in spring and autumn but balearica stay to breed in huge numbers. Balearica arrive in mid April and depart mid September although a few linger into October. One was reported in Palma yesterday, sub species not known, so a few may overwinter. I hope this helps. Mike

Brian S

PS - also forgot to mention the streaking on the neck side (below and behind the ear coverts) which on tyrrhenica at least is much more subdued.

I don't know much about how tyrrhenica look but after handling hundreds of Spring balearica I can't agree with this. Balearica look definitely paler than striata, it's not a wrong idea but a fact.
Check these comparison pics, I don't think I'll need to state which one is which ;) . Two first pics and next three show different pairs of birds.

Attachments

• Mus str s&b 6.jpg
    Mus str s&b 6.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 111
  • Mus str s & b 2.jpg
    Mus str s & b 2.jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Reajustado_ssp BALEARICA vs STRIATA Cabrera 4mayo2010 34.jpg
    Reajustado_ssp BALEARICA vs STRIATA Cabrera 4mayo2010 34.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Reajustado_ssp BALEARICA vs STRIATA Cabrera 4mayo2010 32.jpg
    Reajustado_ssp BALEARICA vs STRIATA Cabrera 4mayo2010 32.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 94
  • Reajustado_ssp BALEARICA vs STRIATA Cabrera 4mayo2010 33 ret.jpg
    Reajustado_ssp BALEARICA vs STRIATA Cabrera 4mayo2010 33 ret.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 115
I've now moved on to butterflies. Just two... Any ideas?

TIA

Andy

Attachments

• _T9A7226.jpg
    _T9A7226.jpg
    518.9 KB · Views: 62
  • _T9A7231.jpg
    _T9A7231.jpg
    453.3 KB · Views: 42
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back