• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tract Binoculars (1 Viewer)

oculars of the two tract models,
(from their marketing videos)
ocular diameters seem fairly large on both
considering the price range,
the most expensive model might be in level with Conquest HD,
my guess is that Kamakura made these,
(factories in china and japan)

Attachments

• tract2.jpg
    tract2.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 391
Last edited:
If they were to offer Conquest HD level performance at the $650 price level that would be a good thing. The key word is if.

This company does not have a user friendly web site at all!

The first thing I look for to get information about new binoculars are specifications like FOV, eye relief, weight and the like; and I am still looking for them here.

With the size of those oculars they should have wide FOVs.

Bob

This company does not have a user friendly web site at all!

The first thing I look for to get information about new binoculars are specifications like FOV, eye relief, weight and the like; and I am still looking for them here.

With the size of those oculars they should have wide FOVs.

Bob

Agreed...Each product description page has spec details, but at the very bottom of the page. Would like to see a product comparison .pdf or equivalent sheet to quickly compare overall specs!

Ted

I checked the site out on my phone and didn't have a problem finding the specs (mobile version may be better?). The site wasn't as user-friendly as some but I still found the info. There were only two models in two configurations, right?

Bin Wars: Attack of the Clones

There really are a lot of new companies popping up lately offering Asian produced clones.

These Tract bins are attractive looking I'll admit. I like the gray. The FOV on the Tekoa 8x42 is pretty sad however for a new bino. I wish the company well though.

But, boy...I wonder how many Clone companies there are in the world right now and wonder how many come and go quickly.
There must be a huge demand for bins to warrant so many different brands in existence at once.

Last edited:
I spoke to one of the principals of the new business. They are just getting things started,
and by March will have more products, etc.

One of the principals was formerly with Nikon, with a high level position in sports optics.

The 2 binocular lines are made in Japan. They are direct selling, to eliminate the middle
man, and to keep prices lower.

Jerry

Hello everyone,
My name is Jon LaCorte and I am one of the Founders of TRACT Optics. We appreciate the feedback and comments regarding the website and product specifications. Our goal is to provide a high quality optic that cuts out the middleman mark up and provides you with a product of higher value at a lower price then you would find at retail.

I am here to answer any questions and can be reached directly at [email protected]

JL

Last edited:
These look more like Terra ED than Conquest HD or Maven. The specs are almost identical:

8x42 Terra ED

Differences are in close focus (Terra focuses closer) and diopter adjustment (Terra's better here, too, only -+2 diopter adjustment for the Tract, which won't suit some users).

Same focus wheel as the 8x32 Terra ED, but hopefully with more stiction and not as fast as the 8x42 TED's focuser. I don't think the Terras have metal eyecup shafts under the eyecups like the Tract (not sure, somebody check theirs), if not, that's an improvement. OTOH, the $300 Vixen Foresta has a "full metal jacket" under the eyecups, too.

The Terras costs half the price, so unless the Tracts just look similar and have very similar specs to the Terra, but are optically on par with the Conquest HD or Maven, they are not a bargain even though sold direct. I'd like to see a Tract/Terra/Conquest A/B/C comparison.

I have a sneaky suspicion that other than alpha and second tier companies, which claim to make their bins from the ground up, there are at most a dozen roof prism bins in the world, maybe less, and that they are "cloned," given new "faces" and names but underneath are basically all the same bins either coming out of Japan or China. "Cloning," it's no longer just for sheep.

Brock

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back