• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID help: Possible Siberian Stonechat, northern Morocco (1 Viewer)

Bump! Surprised there hasn't been a response to this one, considering its potential importance.

It looks fairly convincing to me, although I'd like to see some photos from another angle. The black axiliaries would clinch it.

I think that it might be [just] within range for extreme worn examples of Southern European Stonechat and as suggested it the auxilliaries that you would need to see to clinch it.

Last edited:
The article attached to the link above provides some interesting examples of maurus-like individuals, especially the bird in plate 118. The bird in this photo, however, seems to have a pure white rump and the dark tips which might suggest rubicola are only visible some way up the back. However, I would expect a maurus individual in spring to look much smarter and cleaner than this - I know what Jane means when she suggests a worn bird. Are there any other pictures?

There are a few individuals like this in Germany almost every spring, but none of these holds up to thourough field investigation. So I wouldn't get my hopes too high, eventhough admittedly it looks interesting

Maffong

Thanks all for your replies. It was indeed a very interesting bird, but after going back to the site we found a few other birds more or less similar to the first bird. The plumage of the birds seen in later days was intermediate, but the birds were breeding so we easily studied there plumage. After reading again the papers mentioned in the blog-post, we saw where the mistakes can be made when a potential maurus bird was not observed and/or photographed very well.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back