• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Meal worms (1 Viewer)

Mealworms

Hi Snapper,
You could try your local pet shop ( I go to one at a nearby Hilliers garden centre) or even fishing tackle shops as they are also used for bait.
I think you can get them via the web although they will be the dried ones I would think.
My Robins/Thrushes/Black birds seem to prefer the live ones but they cost a lot more.
They certainly work in attracting birds and when feeding their young the birds will fly off with a beak full!

Helen is the BF MealWorm consultant if you get stuck!!

Good luck,
madmike

You can buy online, - live mealworms - although they are a tad more expensive.

Try a reputable petshop, they usually sell them in small tubs. I find it's cheaper to buy 500g bags rather than the small tubs of them.

Keep them in a cool place (garage etc) or even in the fridge. If kept in the fridge, they will become torpid, but once they are in a warmer termperature they will soon liven up.

Beware, once you start, it's difficult to stop feeding them to the birds! oh, and it can put a dent in your wallet too. ;)

Thanks Helen once again, I am learning fast if you or any one else needs any advice on planting for birds trees, shrubs etc & how to feed them to produce good berry/fruit crops what plants for what soils contact me, Know more about gardening & gardening for birds then birds themselves Snapper.

A MASSIVE dent in your wallet but it's worth it to see the birds so obviously loving them! Especially the starlings who loved them SO much it was hilarious watching them trying to cram as many as possible into their beak and, upon trying for ONE LAST ONE, dropping the whole lot!
When I move in a few weeks I'm hoping I'll be able to get somewhere with a garden so i can set up my feeding station again and I'd like to start breeding mealworms so I have a constant supply.

GILL

i bought some mealworms last week,left them out in a dish and no bird is interested in them,not one.
Can't understand why,but every day i leave them out,come home in the evening and they're still there.

Finchy, what birds do you get? Where have you placed the dish? It may help to observe over the weekend where the birds go in your garden, and place the dish accordingly at first. That way, once they get the taste, you can gradually move the dish to where you want it.

helenol,
all the common finch and tit family plus wrens,blackbirds,robins etc.
I even put the dish on the bird table but they still weren't interested.I've now put them in a dish inside an old open faced blackbird nestbox and will just let nature take its course.
Could be that they've never seen mealworms before i suppose.

Hi finchy, assuming you don't have predators, you could try putting the dish on the ground, rather than the bird table. Alternatively, scatter a few worms on the grass.

As I mentioned at the start of this thread, the wren is one of the main visitors for the worms, I tend to just scatter them now, giving all the birds a chance to take some.
Let us know how you get on.

Regards

Once they DO suss out what the mealworms are you'll not be able to keep the feeder filled up fast enough!
I had to 'ration' my birds to first thing in the morning and early evening.

GILL

Mealworms

Hi finchy,
when I first started using MW (for which I blame Helen!) I put the tray some distance from the house on my shed roof. It took a while for the Robin to find them, but then I gradually brought the tray closer to the house, and now I have Robins,BB,Thrushes and the odd BT come right up to my window all day long! It costs me a fortune but I get some great viewing!
Some people have a problem with Starlings but I don't seem to at all.
I buy dried and live worms and the birds take both although they seem to prefer the live ones!

Good luck,

madmike

You all keep on saying meal worms are expensive how much are they are they expensive or is it just the amount the birds can get through in day.

I pay £7.50 for a 500g bag. Believe me, if you gave everytime the birds were present, you would go through kilos of them each day!!

I tend to give them a load in the late afternoon, and continue until the last bird (usually the song thrush) has had its fill. If I did this continually throughout the day, my other half would be living on bread and water for the rest of the month!

As I mentioned, the tubs (40g) tend to work out more expensive. Online I've seen 450g bags costing around £12.00.

Thanks helen I can have from our works canteen 2 slices of bacon, 2 sausage, 1 egg, beans, tomatos & 3 buttered toast for £3.50p meal worms must be the A LA CARTE food for birds does that make your garden hell's kitchen ?

snapper said:
Thanks helen I can have from our works canteen 2 slices of bacon, 2 sausage, 1 egg, beans, tomatos & 3 buttered toast for £3.50p meal worms must be the A LA CARTE food for birds does that make your garden hell's kitchen ?
LOL!! Listen, I think the birds around here must think they've died and gone to heaven!

mealworms

cage and avairy birds have the names of a couple of suppliers. they also sell waxmoth, locust, crickets and fruit fly and the birds love them. mealworms are the cheapest the others are more expensive and really are used by those who keep and breed birds in captivity

Mealworms

Hi snapper,
If it's any help, I've just been to my local MW supplier and they say they can do the dried ones by mail order. A small carton such as you get coleslaw in is £3.99 plus the P&P.
Their phone number is 01489 781260 and it's Grange Pet centre which is in Hedge End near Southampton.

Good luck,

madmike

Thanks to everyone for the advice I am going to try a tub of each dried & live & see which the birds like the most, This week is the first time I have used a fat tray in a cage you know like a fat ball only in a wire basket I could not believe it I put it out in the morning when i came home from work it had gone its up on the wall so no squirrels can get at it so when I reckoned up the fat trays the meal worms, peanuts, sunflower hearts, plus my table mix that comes to £53.14p & I thought Photography was an expensive hobby, But the pleasure is tremendous out of curiousity what does everyone else spend on food per week. Snapper.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back