• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Complete mitochondrial genome of... (1 Viewer)

McMadd

You should see the other bloke...
Explain me...apart from running the gels in the lab and publishing an easy paper what purpose do these then serve science these days?

Thirty years since I studied any meaningful biology...Alec Jefferies was all the hot news in the '80's when I did...

Just curious like...

McM

Ditto!
Trying hard not to be cynical about these. Maybe there's some useful purpose being served - someone please enlighten us

Aside from getting sequences into GenBank, so others can mine the data, and getting a publication in an obscure journal, these papers do not offer much for phylogenetics or systematics given that far superior methods have been developed.

Andy

Edit: They may be the best markers available for samples recovered from ancient DNA techniques. A new paper on pigeons and doves (including DNA from Solitaires and Dodos) is an example:
http://download.springer.com/static...92a3404f372dcd60393cd77944089a7b82bc652fafde2

Last edited:
I should've added that I'm grateful they're posted here in taxonomy's great "one-stop shop" but the usefulness was puzzling me :)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back