• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Hybrid duck, opinions needed (1 Viewer)

Zheljko

This duck (nicknamed Darth Vader) is reported irregularly in our area for more than two years. At first we believed it is a hybrid of some Aythya duck (light colored eye on dark head), but later settled on male hybrid of Aix sponsa x Anas platyrhynchos (he feeds by up-ending and readily joins groups of mallards).
Now we have a picture where he is standing on ice on frozen Danube, and his feet are also visible. Are they giving more clues to his origin? The beak also has an unusual hue/pattern. (In eclipse he was much greyer).

Attachments

• Dart na ledu 1.jpg
    Dart na ledu 1.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 36
  • Dart na ledu 2.jpg
    Dart na ledu 2.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Clearly Wood Duck x something; but I suspect the something may be smaller than a Mallard, this looks quite a compact little duck.

This might help a bit:

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    301.9 KB · Views: 25
Looks similar-ish to this one, though it also isn't surely identified: http://birdhybrids.blogspot.co.uk/2014/12/wood-duck-x-aythya-sp.html

The bill makes me wonder if a merganser type is involved... though with that structure I could only see Smew or Hooded Merganser as possibilities, and a drake Smew x anything would surely have more white on it... I thought I had seen pictures of Wood Duck x Hooded Merganser hybrids on Flickr, but can't find them right now though...

I think the Wood Duck x Aythya fit s pretty well! My first thought when I saw the pictures was Wood Duck x Netta, but the pale eye rules that out

Maffong

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back