• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Two moths for ID please (1 Viewer)

rogerscoth

After some time since I lasted requested some ID help, I have photographed two moths recently. The small, predominately green one was on the wall in our hall, and the white one with black spots was one of two identical moths in the garage after dark.
Thanks!

Roger

Attachments

• IMG_0273a.jpg
    IMG_0273a.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0286a.jpg
    IMG_0286a.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 132
rogerscoth said:
After some time since I lasted requested some ID help, I have photographed two moths recently. The small, predominately green one was on the wall in our hall, and the white one with black spots was one of two identical moths in the garage after dark.
Thanks!

Roger
What you have there are Green Carpet, a fresh one, and a White Ermine.

Angus T said:
What you have there are Green Carpet, a fresh one, and a White Ermine.
Thankyou for your prompt response Angus!
I had looked at thumbnail pics. on a couple of web-sites (bike2nature and ukmoths), but I did not look far enough into their scrolling system - I must be getting slower by the day.

Roger

rogerscoth said:
Thankyou for your prompt response Angus!
I had looked at thumbnail pics. on a couple of web-sites (bike2nature and ukmoths), but I did not look far enough into their scrolling system - I must be getting slower by the day.

Roger

Hi Roger,

Yes you do need a reasonable idea of where to look first. I have tried to help by putting small representative icons on each family button so that it gives a general clue as to the 'shape' of the moths. I've also recently put a 'Help!' page on the site to cover common ID queries. Maybe I oughta put white ermine up on it.

Mike

MikeWall said:
Hi Roger,

Yes you do need a reasonable idea of where to look first. I have tried to help by putting small representative icons on each family button so that it gives a general clue as to the 'shape' of the moths. I've also recently put a 'Help!' page on the site to cover common ID queries. Maybe I oughta put white ermine up on it.

Mike
Hi Mike
I hadn't spotted your intro page before... a good innovation!
Can I suggest putting yellow shell and silver ground carpet on that page (if you want suggestions!) as they are the two I seem to see most often in daylight. (I've never yet found a hawkmoth in daylight, and you show 5 not 3 as stated!)
Ken

MikeWall said:
Hi Roger,

Mike
Hello Mike, I was not complaining about your super web-site - I am afraid I was not really with-it when I searched through the thumb-nails. My brain(?) got into gear when I had a second look, and the intuitive lay-out became clear to me.
I think you have done a very good job - Thanks!

Roger

rogerscoth said:
Hello Mike, I was not complaining about your super web-site - I am afraid I was not really with-it when I searched through the thumb-nails. My brain(?) got into gear when I had a second look, and the intuitive lay-out became clear to me.
I think you have done a very good job - Thanks!

Roger

Hi Roger,

Don't worry, I wasn't taking it as a complaint. I need feedback like this to know how to improve it.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back