• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Which is easiest to use (1 Viewer)

Gsdarri

Nice simple question
Which do you find easier to use
1)scope with a straight eye piece
2)scope with angled eye piece

cant get much simplier than that.

Dear Gsdarri: I've used both and find the straight scope easier and faster to use as far as sighting in on a bird on a horizontal plane up to say 45-60 degrees, but angled scopes will give you more range as far as viewing high flying raptors. However, if easier means more comfortable, the angled scope will be easier on your neck muscles over extended viewing time.

Angled Scope Pluses:

1. Lets you set up a little lower, therefore providing a little more stability. And you can lay your arm over it to steady it even more.

2. Easier for people of different heights to use.

3. Quicker to set up at a usable height.

Minuses:

1. Since you are flexing certain neck muscles when bending to view, some strain may result.

2. The eyepiece face has a horizontal component that will catch moisture in a drizzle or light rain.

3. Many people find it harder to track flying birds. I don't.

thanks for the response
Not bought my scope as of yet but wanted to get some opinions first before commiting myself to a scope.
cheers
Nick

Nick,
As a scope beginner,I find the straight scope easier to use and, that some Zeiss dealers in Germany were offering free eyepieces with straight Diascopes, was an additional incentive to go straight.
I think that the scarcity and/or cost of tall stable tripods is one of the reasons for the popularity of angled scopes but I already had an old Gitzo tripod, which extends to 2m and weighs nearly 6kg! It's a bit of a pain to lug around and also a mismatch for my little 65mm Diascope but I don't find it a great problem viewing, when set up for my 160cm wife and I am 190cm. The only discomfort is when viewing at fairly close range into trees e.g. Woodpecker nests.
BTW I tried all 3 eyepieces, 23x, 30x and 15-45x, before settling on the 23x and am more than satisfied with the Diascope.

John

I've been using a straight scope. Just got a new scope which is angled and i'm finding it hard to get used to. With the straight scope, it was fairly easy to use in a hide, handheld, sitting down. Not so easy with the angled as sometime you have to stand up to get your head in the correct position.

Having said that, i suspect i'll get used to it, and it is a lot easy when using the scope on a tripod - will just have to take a tripod more often, instead of using beanbags all the time! And, it is possible to use an angled scope on its side.

Swings and roundabouts. Maybe one day someone will come up with one with a "moveable" eyepiece, that swings from angled to straight!!! Probably cost a fortune to get the engineering good enough though.

I've also switched from straight to angled in the last few months - have been pleasantly surprised how straightforward it's been.

It takes me a fraction longer to find high flying birds at the moment, but I'm sure this will get quicker with time. If it's your first scope then I don't think this will be an issue - you'll get used to whatever you buy straightaway.

The only downside to an angled model is using it in a hide - unless there's room for you to put up a tripod, there isn't a particularly easy solution for much of the time.

However, in my opinion, the benefits are more significant:

- Can set tripod lower, resulting in more stability, or use less heavy tripod
- Viewing position is more comfortable; less strain on your neck

David

Nick,

If you aren't used to using a scope then it can be difficult to "find" the object you want to look at begin with, both static objects and moving ones. As John Russell says, straight scopes make this easier. Also, lower magnification eyepieces generally provide a wider field of view aiding the search. Angled scopes do have their advantages too, as people have already outlined above. Finding the subject with an angled model does get a lot easier with a bit of practice but it can be frustrating as a beginner.

If you go for an angled model then make sure it has the ability to rotate the body around its main axis. This allows you to turn the scope on its side which makes it far, far more usable on a tripod in a hide. Another very useful feature to look for with angled models is a sighting aid. Kowa provide a simple moulded line on the outside of the body to align the subject to the axis of the scope, I assume other manufacturers have similar features.

If you can, go to a reserve where a local dealer is holding an optics day and try both straight and angled models for yourself. Each have their advantages and disadvantages and each have their supporters. There's no substitute for trying things for yourself. As you are in Bristol, you aren't too far from Slimbridge where you can try a wide range of models under field conditions from the on-site shop. This will give you the best feeling for which you prefer.

Regards,

Duncan.

I used a straight scopes for twenty years. I have been using a new angled scope for the last six months. I prefer the angled scope and wouldn't go back to a straight design. Why?

Its more comfortable, and I believe more user friendly. I actually think it is easier to set up on a tripod, as you don't need to be too fussy about the precise height you set it, as you can bend over it as you please. its also helpful if more than one person is looking through the scope. The ability to set up the tripod at a lower level is certaily useful.

It is marginally less easy to pick out a bird soaring overhead than with the straight design, but only a little, and once you're on the bird it is more comfortable to follow.

On the downside, it is not as easy to use as a straight scope in a hide on in a car. The ability to swivel the angled eyepiece is an option on some models, but is only of marginal benefit in my view. I've never found the need to look around corners at birds necessary!

I find that by rotating my 65mm Pentax angled scope 90 degress, I can offset the scope and use it "sideways" at eye level in a hide. My binos and scope are then easily available with a slight turn of the head without standing or crouching.

trealawboy said:
I used a straight scopes for twenty years. I have been using a new angled scope for the last six months. I prefer the angled scope and wouldn't go back to a straight design. Why?

Its more comfortable, and I believe more user friendly. I actually think it is easier to set up on a tripod, as you don't need to be too fussy about the precise height you set it, as you can bend over it as you please. its also helpful if more than one person is looking through the scope. The ability to set up the tripod at a lower level is certaily useful.

It is marginally less easy to pick out a bird soaring overhead than with the straight design, but only a little, and once you're on the bird it is more comfortable to follow.

On the downside, it is not as easy to use as a straight scope in a hide on in a car. The ability to swivel the angled eyepiece is an option on some models, but is only of marginal benefit in my view. I've never found the need to look around corners at birds necessary!

Used a straight scope for 30+ years, bought an angled one 18 months ago and would not go back to a straight. Agree with everyone else on their plus points.

Stewart

Straight for me. Used a straight for 20 years, but had to go angled 15 months ago (because of neck problems).

Angled is easier to use in hides and, for me, more comfortable generally. However, I find it slower to pick up birds and soaring raptors are next to impossible (but I'm using a zoom lens - with a fixed wide-angle it would be easier)

You can see over taller walls and hedges with a straight eyepiece than you can with an angled (though if you can swivel the eyepiece 45 degrees that solves that).

I vote angled. I had a straight scope for a decade, and now have an angled scope. I find the comfort level much greater on the angled scope, especially for birds high up in the trees. While it is a little less straight-forward to find birds with the angled scope, there is much less need for adjusting the tripod to get the eyepiece at just the right height for best comfort, and you don't need a tall tripod for birds high in the trees. The higher the tripod, the more prone it is to motion from winds and focussing.

A dealer I know once commented that straight scopes are more popular here in the USA, while angled scopes are more popular in Europe. He made this comment some years ago - so things may have changed, or his perception may have been incorrect to begin with.

Clear skies, Alan

AlanFrench said:
I vote angled. I had a straight scope for a decade, and now have an angled scope. I find the comfort level much greater on the angled scope, especially for birds high up in the trees. While it is a little less straight-forward to find birds with the angled scope, there is much less need for adjusting the tripod to get the eyepiece at just the right height for best comfort, and you don't need a tall tripod for birds high in the trees. The higher the tripod, the more prone it is to motion from winds and focussing.

A dealer I know once commented that straight scopes are more popular here in the USA, while angled scopes are more popular in Europe. He made this comment some years ago - so things may have changed, or his perception may have been incorrect to begin with.

Clear skies, Alan

Angled scopes are miles more popular in the uk than straight, at least amongst serious birders, I used straight for 10 years and angled for 17. I would not even consider buying a straight scope for a second, for all the reasons give previously.

Steve

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back