• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Macros and micros for confirmation/id, Cornwall (1 Viewer)

dantheman

Bah humbug
1-2

Rather featureless, shiny brassy grey. Rather than being a rare Saharan immigrant, can't see it as being anything other than a variation/worn Square-spot Rustic? c.17mm forewing.

3-4 Had more definitive Spruce Carpet, and also Grey Pine Carpet, but getting a few murky ones like this which don't match either/indeterminate. To my eye don't have any of the reddish tones which Grey Pine has in essentially all photos online, but doesn't have the white lower line of Spruce either. Assignable to species?? I'm erring on worn Spruce.

Attachments

• image042.jpg
    image042.jpg
    582.4 KB · Views: 23
  • image044.jpg
    image044.jpg
    478.3 KB · Views: 17
  • image040.jpg
    image040.jpg
    788.7 KB · Views: 22
  • image055.jpg
    image055.jpg
    911.7 KB · Views: 17
And the micros for confirmation if at all -

1 Blastobasis lacticolella ? aka London Dowd
2 Light Brown Apple Moth
3 Acleris sparsana ?
4 Depressaria ultimella ?
5 Depressaria ultimella ?

Thanks!

Attachments

• image060.jpg
    image060.jpg
    673.1 KB · Views: 12
  • image016.jpg
    image016.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 12
  • image061.jpg
    image061.jpg
    727.7 KB · Views: 14
  • image062.jpg
    image062.jpg
    644.3 KB · Views: 15
  • image067.jpg
    image067.jpg
    596.9 KB · Views: 19
Post 1: 1-2 is exceptionally tricky. Something like Vine's Rustic seems most likely.

Post 1: 3-4 is pretty tricky as well. My instinct is Grey Pine on both.

Post 2: 1 - yes. Blastobasis lacticolella.

Post 2: 2 - yes. Light Brown Apple Moth.

Post 2: 3 - yes. Acleris sparsana.

Post 2: 4 & 5 - yes. Having had a look at MOGBI Vol. 4 Part 1, Sterling & Parsons and Manley - I ended up with Depressaria ultimella on the basis of the white longitudinal streak in the centre of the forewing.

All the best

Post 1: 1-2 is exceptionally tricky. Something like Vine's Rustic seems most likely.

Post 1: 3-4 is pretty tricky as well. My instinct is Grey Pine on both.

Post 2: 1 - yes. Blastobasis lacticolella.

Post 2: 2 - yes. Light Brown Apple Moth.

Post 2: 3 - yes. Acleris sparsana.

Post 2: 4 & 5 - yes. Having had a look at MOGBI Vol. 4 Part 1, Sterling & Parsons and Manley - I ended up with Depressaria ultimella on the basis of the white longitudinal streak in the centre of the forewing.

All the best

Excellent, thanks Paul.

Like the idea of Vine's will double check the photos (may always leave as unidentified), only had one Vine's before.

I was thinking D ultimella from online photos on that basis, whitish head and size fits too (think it was c10mm long from memory). Not so common in Cornwall, and later autumn records unusual too (although think overwinters as an adult).

Cheers

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back