• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

The End of Sweden (1 Viewer)

StuartReeves

Local rarity
After five years in Denmark I am in the process of moving back to the UK to take up a new job in Suffolk in December. One of the reasons I delayed my move until late in the year was so that I could get one more autumn with Falsterbo more or less on my doorstep. As the sharp point at the extreme southern tip of Sweden, Falsterbo is probably the best autumn migration watch point in Northern Europe. Its position at the end of Sweden means that large numbers of migrating birds are concentrated there before they have to cross the sea to Denmark to continue their migration. By mid October migration is dominated by Wood Pigeons and passerines, and it was this migration that I was anticipating, though there are often still good numbers of buzzards and Red Kites moving at this time of year.

On arriving at the Car park at Kolabakken, I had the good fortune to bump into Falsterbo’s resident BF member Greg McIvor. He greeted me with a rather heart-stopping sentence: “Have you heard about the Siberian Thrush?”, then added, almost as an afterthought, that an Imperial Eagle had just been reported at a little north of Falsterbo. Once I had recovered the power of speech, Greg explained that a probable Siberian Thrush had been seen twice as it flew out to Nabben (the southern tip of the headland), before turning back. It had been last seen apparently coming down to land somewhere in the trees near where we were standing. Quite understandably, he was planning to look for it. I however, was torn. I could see the attraction in looking for this almost mythical rarity, but I suspected the chances of relocating it were rather slim, and I really did want to give myself a chance of catching-up with that Imperial Eagle, if it should head this way. In the end I opted to head for Nabben, reasoning that this might be the best option, given that either of these goodies, if they tried to migrate, would probably pass over the point.

A digression. I have history with Imperial Eagles. Last autumn one appeared at Falsterbo on a number of days in succession, coming down to the point each day before chickening-out of the sea crossing, and returning north again. Heading over on the Saturday on a perfect day for raptor migration, I was optimistic of my chances, as were a number of Swedish birders who had travelled much further than I for a crack at this bird, but it was not to be. It was a good day, with a Pallid Harrier as fair compensation for a number of the Swedish listers, but the Imperial Eagle didn’t show. It or another immature Imperial Eagle then wintered a little further north in Sweden, but it evaded me on three separate visits that winter. After all this I was beginning to wonder if Imperial Eagle was set to be my bogey bird.

Walking out to Nabben under swarms of Common Buzzards and hesitant flocks of Wood Pigeons and Jackdaws, it was clearly going to be a good day whatever else happened. I arrived at the point just as a young White-tailed Eagle disappeared into the sun on its way to Denmark. Closer scrutiny of the almost continuous spirals of Buzzards making the same journey revealed the occasional Roughleg and Red Kite amongst them, and a Short-Eared Owl hunted low over the marshes for a while before heading out west over the sea. I had arrived too late in the day for the peak migration of small passerines, but there were still some flocks of finches, predominantly Chaffinches and Brambling, on the move, as well as a few small flocks of Blue Tit, which would drop into the rose bushes on the shoreline before picking up again and heading out to sea.

After an hour or so things has gone a little quiet, and to make matters worse one of my fillings had fallen out while I was eating a sandwich, and had taken half of the tooth with it. Depressed at the prospect of yet more expensive dental work, I was considering giving up for the day, when a wave of excitement passed through the Swedish birders around me, and I heard the word “Kejsarörn” mentioned a few times. Now my knowledge of Swedish is mostly restricted to the names of birds of prey, hence I recognised the significance of this. Noticing that all the scopes were pointed in the same direction, I asked the guy next to me where the bird was. Reluctant to take his eye away from the scope’s eyepiece to find any landmarks, he could only tell me that it was in the blue sky! Following the direction of the scopes, I finally got the bird in my bins and then my scope. And there it was, my first Imperial Eagle. The bird had the characteristic sandy plumage with contrasting dark flight feathers of an immature. It showed well, if distantly for the next half hour or so as it came down towards the point two or three times before turning back again. At one point I heard a lot of mention of “Kungsörn” around me, and dragged my eye away from the scope for long enough to see a dark shape immediately above me which was clearly the juvenile Golden Eagle that people were talking about. Not bad I thought.

Then it got better. While watching the Imperial Eagle as it gained height, the Golden Eagle appeared in the same field of view, not only that but it also mobbed the Imperial, diving at it once or twice. Then another bird also in the same field of view took its turn to mob the Imperial Eagle. Just as I was thinking “Surely that must be a Goshawk”, a call of “Duvhök” to my left confirmed my suspicions. Let me just rewind that moment. There were only three birds in my scope view; an Imperial Eagle, a Golden Eagle and a Goshawk, with both of the latter mobbing the former. Now that’s not something you see every day.

Eventually the Imperial Eagle gave up trying to migrate for the day, and after that things did quieten down, although a couple more White-tailed Eagles appeared and headed out to sea, and a single Kestrel brought my raptor day tally to nine species. Heading home, I couldn’t help but feel that if this was my last Falsterbo trip, for this year at least, it would be a pretty good note to end on.

As a post-script, I don’t think the Siberian Thrush was seen again. The official totals for some species migrating that day were: 1573 Common Buzzards; 18 Rough-legged Buzzards; 66 Red Kites; 28400 Wood Pigeons and 3970 Jackdaws. For more detail see: http://www.artportalen.se/birds/inventeringar/falsterbo_str.asp?lang=eng.
It really is quite a place.

Stuart

Great report Stuart, thanks for sharing some remarkable sightings. What a superb day for your last trip to Falsterbo.

Excellent Stuart. Imperial Eagle in Slovakia has probably been the highlight of my year so far - really great birds. Are we talking 'Kaiser's Eagle' and 'King's Eagle' here by the way?

PS: Good to see you're coming back to the UK. You didn't fancy a return to Aberdeen then?

Andrew Whitehouse said:
Excellent Stuart. Imperial Eagle in Slovakia has probably been the highlight of my year so far - really great birds. Are we talking 'Kaiser's Eagle' and 'King's Eagle' here by the way?

PS: Good to see you're coming back to the UK. You didn't fancy a return to Aberdeen then?

Hi Andrew,

Your Swedish is spot on and you can add 'Dove hawk' for the Gos.

I was back in Aberdeen about three weeks ago for a conference, and I enjoyed a fine days birding then. I had forgotten what a great place the Ythan Estuary can be. I do miss the birding potential of that part of the world, but professionally it's not the place for me right now.

Stuart

Hi Stuart,
Yes, I heard about those raptors (and also a few White-tailed Eagles) from Dermot: sounded like a nice selection!
Harry

Hej Hej Stuart

An excellent report which should inspire anyone to make a visit to Falsterbo. I used to go to Sweden regularly in my pre-birding days and even speak the lingo (except bird names) so I'm long overdue another visit. Your text to me on Sunday reporting one lifer for me (Goshawk) mobbing another (Eastern Imperial Eagle) was unnecessarily cruel I thought but now I've read this I can understand the enthusiasm with which you gripped me off. Best of luck with the move to Suffolk, I'm sure you'll enjoy walking round a packed Minsmere every Sunday.

E

Edward said:
Hej Hej Stuart

An excellent report which should inspire anyone to make a visit to Falsterbo. I used to go to Sweden regularly in my pre-birding days and even speak the lingo (except bird names) so I'm long overdue another visit. Your text to me on Sunday reporting one lifer for me (Goshawk) mobbing another (Eastern Imperial Eagle) was unnecessarily cruel I thought but now I've read this I can understand the enthusiasm with which you gripped me off. Best of luck with the move to Suffolk, I'm sure you'll enjoy walking round a packed Minsmere every Sunday.

E

Now that was unnecessarily cruel.

A few photos from my various visits this year to give a flavour of the place. No prizes for the IDs - there's no rarities here I'm afraid.

Stuart

Attachments

• WT eagle.jpg
    WT eagle.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 185
  • Red Kites.jpg
    Red Kites.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 187
  • Roughleg.jpg
    Roughleg.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 198
  • Buzzards1.jpg
    Buzzards1.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 181
Woodchatshrike said:
Hi Stuart.
Is that Falsterbo far from Copenhagen? Do you go over the bridge? Sounds like a great days birding.

Hi Woodchat,

Falsterbo is very easily accessible from Copenhagen. I usually do it by public transport, catching a train across the bridge to Malmö, then a bus from there to Falsterbo. Once at Falsterbo I sometimes hire a bike to get around. This being Scandinavia, the public transport is highly efficient, so it is easy to manage without a car. And it is a great place to go birding.

Stuart

Hi Stuart

Missed you when you were over here again. By the grace of God I managed to catch up with all those birds myself. Had just finished ringing in the lighthouse garden and had met a Swedish guy I know who was looking for the thrush. While standing there my companion said "what's that?" - IMPERIAL EAGLE was the reply!! It was directly over us (outside Falsterbohus) soaring for 5-10 minutes and we managed to pick up the Golden eagle (also had the Golden eagle mob it!). However we were so caught up with the eagles that we missed the Goshawk. Saw what was probably the same Goshawk out at the Heath later however along with a second juvenile Golden Eagle (had all off its primaries on the right wing fully grown unlike the first bird which was still growing one) and two White-tails together. Unbelieveable day, the Imperial, Golden and Goshwak were all ticks for me.
Have seen 19 species of raptors here since August but have missed Booted , Steppe, Short-toed Eagle, Pallid Harrier and Red-footed Falcon off the top of my head.
Caught up with a Great Grey Owl yesterday near Dalby and a Hawk Owl (had a goshawk pass low overhead twice making the owl extremely nervous!) at Knösen about 5km north of Falsterbo today. Both amazing birds!! Have attached shots of the star birds. Will be heading back to Ireland this Saturday, cringing at the thought of what else will turn up after I've left!

All the best

Dermot

Attachments

• Imperial 2.jpg
    Imperial 2.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 168
  • Imperial 1.jpg
    Imperial 1.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 166
  • BF2.jpg
    BF2.jpg
    452.2 KB · Views: 157
  • BF1.jpg
    BF1.jpg
    300.6 KB · Views: 172
Hi Dermot,

Ouch! Great Grey and Hawk Owls so close together takes some beating. It’s hard to think what you could miss that could improve on that stunning species pair, though I am a bit worried that these are the start of a major influx of owls into southern Scandinavia just as I am moving away ! Glad to hear that you caught up with the Imperial Eagle, it looks like you had better views than I did.
I knew you’d missed the Short-toed Eagle as I met you later that day, but I’m sorry to hear you missed those other goodies as well. I’m a little surprised to hear that you missed the Steppe Eagle as I though that made a few return visits. I have had a phenomenal run of luck this year, helped by the fact that most of the rare raptors seemed to appear at weekends, and as a result I have seen 21 species of raptor at Falsterbo this autumn. To put this into perspective, during all my visits to Falsterbo over the previous four years I only saw one species of eagle (White-tailed); this year I’ve seen six ! I’ve only seen one species of owl though...

All the best,

Stuart

Wow Dermot, Great Grey and Hawk Owls are two of my absolute most wanted birds in Europe. Magnificent. Time to renew my acquaintance with Sverige I think.

Stuart, you mean that you saw more species of owl on your weekend in Iceland than you have on numerous visits to Falsterbo!!!!

E

Edward,

Yep, Iceland wins 2-1 in terms of owls, but I think the overall raptor victory goes to Falsterbo by quite a long margin. By the way, the Hawk Owl at least is still there today, so if you want to see the bird shown in Dermot's stunning photo for real, there is still time to look for cheap flights....

Stuart

Last edited:
Great to hear you saw the Imperial Eagle, Stuart. It was a bit frantic there at the car park not knowing whether to look for a Siberian Thrush or an Imperial Eagle!

It's been a great season for eagles here at Falsterbo, with all the species on the Swedish list being seen apart from the 'commonest' of the rarer eagles - Lesser Spotted. The Steppe Eagle was probably the same bird originally first seen attempting to migrate at the end of June. Where did it spend the intervening 2½ months, one wonders.

Perhaps the most outstanding day of the autumn was Saturday, the day before the Imperial. Almost 8,000 Common Buzzards migrated out, the highest day-count in modern times. Thrown in for good measure were 4,500 Common Cranes and 137,000 Woodpigeons (both the highest day-counts in Falsterbo history). No rarities, but the numbers were overwhelming.

Of course migration watching is always heavily dependent on the weather but there are few, if any, places in Europe that can match the visible migration in Falsterbo in October. From the UK it's just a 1 hr 20 min flight with Ryanair from Stansted to Malmo that will cost you as little as £50. Money well spent if you like migration!

Rgds

Greg

PS. Good luck on your return back to the UK, Stuart, but hope to see you in Falsterbo again in the future!

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the tip-off about the Imperial Eagle, and for the good wishes. I will certainly be back at Falsterbo, maybe even this weekend if that Hawk Owl hangs around !

All the best,

Stuart

Hi Stuart

I think I must have missed the Steppe about three times? Unfortunately when conditions were good for raptor migration it was also good for passerine passage especially Blue Tits. On the 3rd and 5th October we caught 1277 and 1595 birds in total respectively, so I didn't have much time to raptor watch between rounds!
I saw on the Tarsiger website that they've had 44 Hawk Owls in southern Finland up to yesterday.
The Great Grey Owl near Dalby hasn't been seen since though but I had stunning views of the Hawk Owl again today, completely undisturbed by our presence. Oonly myself and another birder there at 2p.m.!

ATB

Dermot

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back