• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Where do I see a Willow Tit? (1 Viewer)

pduxon

Quacked up Member
This is perhaps rather sad but I haven't managed see a Willow Tit this year.

Would anyone have some suggestions in Essex, Herts, Beds, Cambs, Suffolk or Norfolk ? I may even go to Kent

The only sites I'm aware of in any of those counties (where people have seen them this year) are the riverside footpath at Rockland Broad and Brundall Church Fen, both near Norwich!

It's not sad at all, Pete - just a sign of the demise of this species in the south east. They should probably be a description species in some of those counties!

pduxon said:

Would anyone have some suggestions in Essex, Herts, Beds, Cambs, Suffolk or Norfolk ? I may even go to Kent

I think you will have to stretch you boundaries Pete. Maybe come up our way from time to time.

if you ever get as far north as manchester there are a number of sites that are reliable. around here marsh tit is the more difficult one to locally year list...

Pennington Flash Country Park near Leigh.

Go to bird feeding station hide.

Sit down (or stand if you like - it's a free country... allegedly [fight the power, smash the system!]).

Look out of window.

Wait maximum 5 minutes.

See Willow Tit.

Go to burger van in car park.

ah right. Thanks for that Dave Deboo were both lamenting that we hadn't seen Willow Tit. Oh well next year.

Its more worrying how few there seem to be than me not having seen one.

David - there is the odd bird at Lackford Lakes. I've seen one by the feeder station. Otherwise all I've seen is marsh and they are not common. According to the Bishop Stortford bird report there has been birds at Hatfield Forest (1 pair I think) but I've only seen Marsh.

I believe there are still a few in Kent but very hard to find. Most reported sightings turn out to be mis-ided Marsh Tit.

There are a number of good places in the North West for Willow Tit if you're passing through en-route to a twitch somewhere.

As mentioned earlier Pennington Flash is a top spot (with Bullfinch and Water Rail thrown in from the same hide) as is Moore NR near Warrington (where the Black Kite was earlier this year). I've also seen Willow Tits at Woolston Eyes NR (Permit only) and at Marbury Country Park.

I had Marsh Tit in my back garden a couple of winters ago (locally very scarce). Couldn't believe my eyes or ears !!!

pduxon said:
David - there is the odd bird at Lackford Lakes. I've seen one by the feeder station.
That's true - I've seen them there in the past, and also at Wayland Wood, now I think about it.

Grousemore said:
I've seen them in East Sussex...Fore Wood RSPB from memory.

Recently?

This is so depressing. I remember back in the 1970s my parents used to get marsh and willow tit to the feeders in their Surrey garden (side by side, so we could compare them). Now it would appear from what you're all saying, we have virtually no chance of seeing them in the south east.

Oh well, I'm planning two trips up north next year, so I'll have to detour to some of your sites and see if I can see one again.

Did you forget that I said I had seen Willow Tit this year very early on ...at a place that my mate Bob showed me. Somewhere in Bucks or Oxon...I did say I'd find out for you and we would probably go next year!!! But its supposed to be hush hush due to the lack of these beauties!!

:h?:

There's still quite a few in Notts and S Yorks. Thybergh Country park (Rotherham) is reliable. But forget it in Lincs, Cambs, E Yorks, Herts, most of Norfolk and Suffolk.

pduxon said:

There often seem to be one or two around the feeders in the small orchard near the old oast house at Bough Beech Nature Reserve in Kent.

Keith

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back