• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Yorkshire Birding (110 Viewers)

eagle_golden. Just a couple of thoughts. If I'm honest, I read your initial post (about the Eagle Owl) and I thought 'that's interesting' but I never once thought to post a reply (rightly or wrongly) saying 'thanks for that' or something similar. Maybe I should've done I don't know. Also the time between your initial post and your 'clicky' post is a mere 1h 40mins approx in which time there was only 2 more posts on here. At that time on a Friday we're all in the local Labour Club after a hard day darn pit sat wit our whippets and a parnt o' marld so not many would be viewing this thread anyway! All I'm saying mate is don't take it personally that's all. It's not intentional. Carry on posting and good birding.

No dockers in God's Own Joe? I do believe Hull may have one or two. ;)

The docker quote comes from my first job where the foreman and one of the drivers were scousers, picked up a bit of the lingo from them. I do remember 'collier's clog' from my schooldays though.

Flat 'ats and me have a hate - hate relationship, they hate me and I hate them. Tried wearing them but used to get called wingnut because of my ears.

Getting back on topic though, after dipping the spoonies again today I came home from Fairburn via the Ledsham road from the visitor centre. There were upwards of a hundred swifts over the fields by the Ledsham turnoff, never seen so many before. Guess there must have been a hatch of insects or something going on.

I am a stereotype Jim, tight as a duck's ass and thick as a docker's butty, however I draw the line at whippets and flat 'ats.

Ayup sithee, wots rong wi' flat caps. 'aving bin a flatcapper sin forever, follerin mi dad and 'is dad........mindst wi neva did av wippits........Oi, an another thing wile am on...it's "as thick as a colliers clog"....no ruddy dockers in Yorksher...! :-O

Joe

Looking good for a nice day tomorrow...what's the betting it will be slinging it down at 5.00am when I have to do the breeding birds survey.

Has anyone else who does the BBS signed up for the butterfly survey as well?

There is that Pete,
I've done it for a couple of years, and to be honest I haven't actually been too stretched by the butterfly ids, thankfully my BBS squares are crap habbo for them.

Not that I always follow Ingsbirder's advice ;), but since the cricket was rained off, I was inspired to try and find some Quail on the Wolds inland of Flamborough. I drove on the minor road from Bempton village and ended up a mile west of Grindale - the result 12 calling Quail!! It begs the question how many are there on the Wolds? Also discovered a breeding pair of Barn Owls, almost double-figures of singing Corn Buntings and good numbers of breeding Yellow Wagtails.

Out and about on the pushbike myself this evening hoping for a local Quail. No luck with this but I did manage to come across a juvenile Long-eared Owl calling from a new site, also an adult flew into the Hawthorn the young bird was calling from. I was well chuffed!

Dave.

We were at a family reunion yesterday at Scar House Reservoir (don't ask why,our family should be locked up),cold damp and windy when we had great views of a Hobby feeding over the sheltered side of the dam.At first we thought it was chasing the House Martins but there must have beeb enough fly life around to occupy it for the 5 mins we watched it.

I was at work on Friday driving my bus down a country lane at balne(east Yorkshire) and almost ran over 2 quail!!! Did l brake or what?
Never heard quail but that the 2nd time I've nearly ran quail over in the past few years!

Lesley

I was at work on Friday driving my bus down a country lane at balne(east Yorkshire) and almost ran over 2 quail!!! Did l brake or what?
Never heard quail but that the 2nd time I've nearly ran quail over in the past few years!

Lesley
To me it does seem to be the best Quail year we have had in Yorkshire for some time or is it that I have been more aware of reported sightings

Quail year

To me it does seem to be the best Quail year we have had in Yorkshire for some time or is it that I have been more aware of reported sightings

Tried a few more roads in a relatively small area of the Wolds yesterday evening (Buckton-Rudston, Grindale) and so far 22 calling Quail. Most appear to be in barley fields, although I'm picking a fair few up in wheat fields as well. They appear to start calling in earnest from 9.15pm, with most then vocal until 10.15pm when calling drops off - or perhaps that was me!

Be great to gauge if this is replicated over the rest of the Wolds.

just got back from the wolds (bridlingtonish) highlight today was barn owl flying over the entrance to the camp site as we were driving out at 1.30pm who says you have to be up half the night for good owling.though we did also have 2 barn owls in 5 minutes around half past 9 last night too.

nowt much at wykeham for us though, met 2 blokes on their way out who had seen honey buzzard earlier in the day and a distant gos report, while we were sat in the wrong place(i.e. not at the raptor watchpoint but thinking we were :) ) surrounded by crossbills.

Hi

Just got back after spending the week up in Yorkshire.
Thanks to all who told us about Wykenham Wood, managed to see the Turtle Dove but missed out on the Honey Buzzard.
Stayed at a great place with Hare and Yellow Wagtail plus Little Owl on the farm, near Allerston. In the lane by the cottage were a number of singing Quail I would say at least 4 singing birds in Barley fields just as a earlier report has noted. Didn't get to see them which was a shame would have been lifers for the wife and me.
Bempton Cliffs were great (but that's to be expected) one strange sighting was of a Sedge Warbler displaying near the cliff path.

Tim.

Hi

Just got back after spending the week up in Yorkshire.
Thanks to all who told us about Wykenham Wood, managed to see the Turtle Dove but missed out on the Honey Buzzard.
Stayed at a great place with Hare and Yellow Wagtail plus Little Owl on the farm, near Allerston. In the lane by the cottage were a number of singing Quail I would say at least 4 singing birds in Barley fields just as a earlier report has noted. Didn't get to see them which was a shame would have been lifers for the wife and me.
Bempton Cliffs were great (but that's to be expected) one strange sighting was of a Sedge Warbler displaying near the cliff path.

Tim.
Glad you enjoyed your visit Tim,you will have to come back for the Honey Buzzards,nice about the Quail they seem to be having a good year.

No sign of Nightjars this weekend at Timble :-C

Took the missus & kids on Saturday & stayed until 10.30 pm. No sight or sound, and we were only people up there. Not sure if anyone arrived after we left, or whether any were seen yesterday.

Richard

Quail

I too had calling quail on banks of ouse west of Poppleton last night.Barn and Tawny owls performing spectacularly! Wo'nt bore you with any more pics.!!!

No sign of Nightjars this weekend at Timble :-C

Took the missus & kids on Saturday & stayed until 10.30 pm. No sight or sound, and we were only people up there. Not sure if anyone arrived after we left, or whether any were seen yesterday.

Richard

No sign on Thursday either but apparently a bit hit and miss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back