• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Advice on waders guide (1 Viewer)

gmax

Sontium Dweller
Hello everybody,
I'm looking for a good guide on waders in Europe ... is there anybody who can recommend a decent one (doesn't matter if it's not pocket-sized)?
Thank you very much,
Max

The classic is 'Shorebirds: A Guide to the Waders of the World' by Peter Hayman, now out of print but available used. Recently published is 'Waders of Europe, Asia and North America' by Stephen Message, which has gotten pretty good reviews. Both cover more than Europe but are still the best for it.

Hi gmax,
I recently bought the 'Waders of Europe, Asia and North America' that Mike mentions in his post. It is not pocket sized but is small enough to fit in your day pack. I think it is slightly expensive for a 224 page softback book at £24.99 (you can get the BWP concise for just twice that!).
Most of the artwork (except for flight shots) is larger than your standard pocket guide, which is a good thing. The text for each species is clearly laid out and they pack in a lot of useful info.

If you can get it at a discount, a good book for your collection.

Regards, Des.

The book mentioned above by Des (and Mike) is not bad actually. Illustrations are not up to Jonsson/Zetterström standard though, but very informativ and feather detailed. Text is also good.
Well worth to own a copy.

JanJ

Mike Johnston said:
The classic is 'Shorebirds: A Guide to the Waders of the World' by Peter Hayman, now out of print but available used. Recently published is 'Waders of Europe, Asia and North America' by Stephen Message, which has gotten pretty good reviews. Both cover more than Europe but are still the best for it.

Thank you all very much,
if the book by Message is one of the Helm Field Guides, I think I have spotted it ... now I'll check whether I can find it used somewhere
Since my birding days are mostly spent in marshes, river banks, wetlands and lagoons I believe it will be of great help in relieving the trouble I usually go through when ID a shorebird (e.g. wood or green sandpiper at 150mt etc)
Cheers,
Max

Hi gmax,
I forgot to put the ISBN number in my previous post. This should help you track it down :- ISBN 0-7136-5290-X

Max,
I don't know if you can find it used yet. Should be pretty new. Yes, just checked the Books on Bird - (the Lynx Edicions catalog). You can get it there for €32.30 new (their code is HELM214).

cuckooroller said:
Max,
I don't know if you can find it used yet. Should be pretty new. Yes, just checked the Books on Bird - (the Lynx Edicions catalog). You can get it there for €32.30 new (their code is HELM214).
Thanks, cuckooroller, you're right, used copies are hard to find; anyway, I've found a decent opportunity for a new book at £22.49 + shipping (+ or - the same price) .. I'll let you know
Cheers,
Max

Rick Wright said:
A short, informal review of Paulson, Shorebirds of North America, is now available at www.birdaz.com/blog:

http://birdaz.com/blog/2006/07/15/dennis-paulson-shorebirds-of-north-america-the-photographic-guide/

Rick Wright
Tucson

Thanks again Rick, well documented ...

PS What's the best aesthetical condition for a brand-new book on waders? Just plunge it in brackish water after your backback fell mysteriously open the other day ... now pages are yellowish and wave-like shaped |=(|

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back