• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gitzo G2180 fluid head (1 Viewer)

aomcm

I am trying out this head along with a Velbon 640 as a light weight travelling combination for my Swarovski HD 65. I love the tripod, but I must say, especially for the price, I am disappointed by the Gitzo G2180.

On the plus side it is very small, compact and light weight. The QR plate is very solid and locks down tight.

What is disappointing to me is the friction adjustment. I am used to other fluid heads that are set and forget. You set the friction low enough so you can move the scope smoothly but high enough so the scope does not flop around when you are carrying it. So far this does not seem possible with the Gitzo. When the friction is set high enough to keep the scope from flopping around while carrying it, there is too much friction to use the scope. Therefore it becomes a series of tighten friction to carry, loosen friction to use, tighten friction to carry, etc. At the lower friction settings the head seems quite fluid and easy to move around and center, but at the higher settings it jerks too much and there is some rebound making it difficult to center on the subject. Thus to use it, you need to set the friction low.

I am not much of an expert on tripod heads and may be I was expecting too much from this small head, but it does not seem suited to using even my small spotting scope (which is within the specified weight range). I maybe trying one of the small Bogen heads instead.

Last edited:
Hello Mike.

Interested to reed your comments as I was considering this head on a G1155 tripod purely for its size to get the smallest possible travelling kit.
Do you think it's a design fault or particular to your head?

Tony.

I do not think there is anything wrong with my head, but I have not tested any others to be sure.

Anthony Martin said:
Hello Mike.

Interested to reed your comments as I was considering this head on a G1155 tripod purely for its size to get the smallest possible travelling kit.
Do you think it's a design fault or particular to your head?

Tony.

I have tried this head out briefly in front of a shop, and plan to borrow it for a bit of field-testing later. It differs from the 2380 in lacking separate lock and friction adjustments, so by design you need to tighten the friction knobs to lock the head in place. At least in the sample I tried, there was still a bit of horizontal play with the knob locked, and the aim did change a little when tightening. This, of course, is not good.

The mounting plate is very short, but the head readily accepted the long plate of the 2380 which was on my scope when I tried it. This longer plate allows for some balancing of the rig which is very helpful.

I'll tell more when and if I get around to field-testing.

Kimmo

I am using the longer plate which does indeed help with balance, although the head has a spring loaded balance system. I had to set this to +1 to get the scope fully balanced even with the long plate, but it seems to work well. I really like the QR plate - it seems exceptionally solid.

However, having to tighten down two friction knobs everytime you move the scope does not work well, because you have to loosen them again to use it and getting it just right takes some time. A separate locking lever would be an improvement because you would not have to keep messing with your friction settings, but I would prefer a head that allowed you to set it and leave it all together. Again, at low friction settings the head works really well, but when tightened enough to hold the scope while carrying it, the friction is too high for smooth movement - you have to loosen the knobs again. Unless, I am doing something wrong, but I think that is just the way the head is. With a lighter load, there might be an ideal friction setting, but with the 65 scope (half the recommended weight for the head) there does not seem to be a friction setting that works.

kabsetz said:
I have tried this head out briefly in front of a shop, and plan to borrow it for a bit of field-testing later. It differs from the 2380 in lacking separate lock and friction adjustments, so by design you need to tighten the friction knobs to lock the head in place. At least in the sample I tried, there was still a bit of horizontal play with the knob locked, and the aim did change a little when tightening. This, of course, is not good.

The mounting plate is very short, but the head readily accepted the long plate of the 2380 which was on my scope when I tried it. This longer plate allows for some balancing of the rig which is very helpful.

I'll tell more when and if I get around to field-testing.

Kimmo

Last edited:
Mike,

I'm sure you are using the head just as it should be used. The lack of separate locking levers is a clear handicap, and it is a matter of user habits and preferences how much of an issue it will be.

Just a thought though, do you think it would be possible to index the ideal friction setting on the knobs so that after transport you could find it more quickly?

Kimmo

Thanks for the suggestion Kimmo, but the friction knobs have no index marks on them and it takes a few revolutions to go from a good setting for viewing to a locked down setting to carry the scope so I do not think that marking them will be a big help. I am still playing with it trying to find if there is a very small range that I can get it into where it has acceptable motion but still holds the scope in place while I am carrying it.

kabsetz said:
Mike,

I'm sure you are using the head just as it should be used. The lack of separate locking levers is a clear handicap, and it is a matter of user habits and preferences how much of an issue it will be.

Just a thought though, do you think it would be possible to index the ideal friction setting on the knobs so that after transport you could find it more quickly?

Kimmo

Last edited:
I saw the G2180 at the Rutland Bird Fair and was planning to get one for use on a lightweight Gitzo Basalt tripod with the Nikon ED50A scope. It seemed to me that this would be a good combination for foreign trips.

But now I am a bit deterred by the negative comments on the G2180 in this thread. On the other hand, is there an alternative to this head? Currently I'm using the Manfrotto 701RC2, but that's larger, heavier and also not exactly as smooth as a true fluid head.

So, what's the answer for travelling light? Is not the G2180 the best compromise?

Anthony S said:
I saw the G2180 at the Rutland Bird Fair and was planning to get one for use on a lightweight Gitzo Basalt tripod with the Nikon ED50A scope. It seemed to me that this would be a good combination for foreign trips.

But now I am a bit deterred by the negative comments on the G2180 in this thread. On the other hand, is there an alternative to this head? Currently I'm using the Manfrotto 701RC2, but that's larger, heavier and also not exactly as smooth as a true fluid head.

So, what's the answer for travelling light? Is not the G2180 the best compromise?

Well I was considering going to the 701RC. Maybe we just have to accept that these small heads can only do so much and live with the compromises if we want the light weight. I am going to keep playing with the 2180 to see if I can live with it because otherwise it seems a very good head. I especially think the QR plate is better than on my old Manfrotto. It would be nice if other people tried it and commented but at its price its pretty hard to just try out.

It is no problem to keep the G2180 from flopping about. There is an effective balancing procedure (you have to turn this on and use the dial) that is explained in the instructions. Once the head/scope/camera combination is balanced it stays put. You can completely lock the head with a slight turn of the same knob that adjusts drag when the balance feature is turned off. I find this to be an amazing featherweight head. The description above sounds like it was done with the balance setting off.

Folderholder said:
It is no problem to keep the G2180 from flopping about. There is an effective balancing procedure (you have to turn this on and use the dial) that is explained in the instructions. Once the head/scope/camera combination is balanced it stays put. You can completely lock the head with a slight turn of the same knob that adjusts drag when the balance feature is turned off. I find this to be an amazing featherweight head. The description above sounds like it was done with the balance setting off.

No, I had balanced the head. It says put fine once it is set up, but needs to be locked again to move the tripod and then you have to experiment again with the knobs to get the right friction again. I love the smooth action of the head at low friction settings, but at higher settings it does not work, thus you have to constantly unlock and lock the head. It would have been much better if there were separate locks and drag settings, but there is no other way to secure the head to move the tripod then to increase the drag. I have had much better luck with the Velbon FHD-51Q although I miss the silkiness of the Gitzo.

Any new findings?

A friend of mine is interested in this Gitzo 2180, and it might be an option for me as well. As this thread has not had any newer input, I would like to ask for long-term experience or for opinions of new users.

Also, Kimmo, have you had a chance to do that testing you intended to do?

The G2180 suits me fine. Have used it for nearly two years now with my 65 Diascope fixed 23x eyepiece, but the way I use it may differ from how others use a scope.
It's highly personal.

First thing I did was to remove the pan handle, too long, can't be shortened with a hecksaw like the ones on Manfrotto heads, it got in the way even when I turned it upward. The head without the pan handle turned out to be a perfect hybrid between a ballhead and a videohead, with the versatility of the former and the steadiness of the latter. The built in balance function option helps tremendously; you point the scope, let go and it stays on the subject no matter how strange the angle ( turned upward or otherwise ).
The Diascope with its two focusing wheels on top allows for a one-handed use, due to the silky fluid action of the head. I can scan, track and focus in one single action, with my left hand. I only use my right hand as a sunshade, when the sun is low on my right, or I focus with my right hand and use my left as a sunshade when the sun is low on my left. Of course, the fixed power 23x eyepiece grants me this freedom, with a zoom you'd always need an extra hand.

I sometimes carry the tripod with scope attached on my shoulder, but I can always tighten the screws enough to avoid flopping around of the scope. I normally carry tripod and scope separated.
Of the two focus wheels - by the way - I only use the fine-focuser; the other one ( nearest to the eyepiece ) is way too stiff and hasn't loosened up a bit in two years.
A clear minus point for Zeiss on design, here. I don't like helical focus so I'm OK using the fine focuser on the Zeiss.

Last but not least - the added cable tie sighting really works splendidly in this setup, it's dead easy finding and tracking flying birds with the WA 23x eyepiece, with one hand on the scope. I'm not gonna change a thing in the future, I found my personal style I guess.

Regards,

Ronald

The G2180 suits me fine. Have used it for nearly two years now with my 65 Diascope fixed 23x eyepiece, but the way I use it may differ from how others use a scope.
It's highly personal.

I sometimes carry the tripod with scope attached on my shoulder, but I can always tighten the screws enough to avoid flopping around of the scope. I normally carry tripod and scope separated.
Of the two focus wheels - by the way - I only use the fine-focuser; the other one ( nearest to the eyepiece ) is way too stiff and hasn't loosened up a bit in two years.
A clear minus point for Zeiss on design, here. I don't like helical focus so I'm OK using the fine focuser on the Zeiss.

Ronald

Thanks, Ronald, for this feedback. I usually carry my scope attached to the tripod, but as you mention that to be OK, I guess the Gitzo head is really a fine item. One which has proven itself. I use the Novoflex DinO head instead. It is probably not quite as smooth I would think from descriptions. But it was by far the best light-weight solution many years ago. The DinO has only a small handle, but I also removed it, working the scope pretty much as you described it. I added a Manfrotto quick release plate on top of the head, and it tended to come loose. So I "drilled" a screw into the somewhat lengthened hole of the thread to secure that plate.
My Leica APO77 has the same focus system as the Zeiss, with a quite smooth fast-focusser. Nevertheless, I find myself using the fine focus almost exclusively.

Robert,

I have not yet done my long-planned tripod and head testing, although I have also not completely buried the idea. One reason why I haven't are Jan Meijerink's tests on www.tvwg.nl (to be found under testrapportten), which are done very well and which provide good photographed images of how stable the tripods/heads are when knocked or subjected to a twisting motion of uniform force. Incidentally, his test gives very poor results for the G2180, while the G2380 is one of the best heads in his tests. I have not field-tested the G2180 since my earliest posts, but a friend of mine whose judgment I trust had one on a trip and was very unhappy with the lack of stability/proneness to vibration. He uses the large Zeiss Diascope, though.

Sine then, I have gotten myself the Velbon FHD-51Q, and have thus far had very good experiences with it under the Fieldscope ED 82 A. It does get noticeably stiff in cold weather, but has thus far been always usable. I am yet to use it outdoors in warm weather, but indoors it seems promising enough that I don't expect great problems.

Kimmo

Sine then, I have gotten myself the Velbon FHD-51Q, and have thus far had very good experiences with it under the Fieldscope ED 82 A. It does get noticeably stiff in cold weather, but has thus far been always usable. I am yet to use it outdoors in warm weather, but indoors it seems promising enough that I don't expect great problems.

Hi Kimmo,

Do you leave your scope connected to your tripod when carrying it? Also, how long have you been using the Velbon head?

Jim

Jim,

Yes, the scope is on when I carry the tripod, but I mostly carry it on my back, backpack-style, so there is not that much twist on the head from the scope's weight.

I have had the head for three-four months only, so I cannot say anything about the longevity of the construction in general or my sample specifically. This head has not been available here for very long. Thus far, I like it best among the heads that don't weight at least twice as much, and find the operation and stability better than in the lightweight Manfrotto heads (700, 701) that I have tried or used. I'll add, though, that like with many other heads I find the stability improves somewhat if the cork (or rubber) padding on the QR-plate is removed, so I have removed it and have a metal-on-metal interface between the scope foot and the plate. For some, this trick may make the scope tend to come loose from the plate too easily, but for me it has not been a problem, especially since the plate and my scope both have the video-style securing pin that prevents the scope from rotating too far.

Incidentally, Jan M. has done some tests (not published) where he replaced the cork on a Manfrotto 501 plate with thin strips of lead, and god markedly improved measured stability this way. I'll try that myself when I happen upon some suitable lead.

Kimmo

Robert,

I have not yet done my long-planned tripod and head testing, although I have also not completely buried the idea. One reason why I haven't are Jan Meijerink's tests on www.tvwg.nl (to be found under testrapportten), which are done very well and which provide good photographed images of how stable the tripods/heads are when knocked or subjected to a twisting motion of uniform force. Incidentally, his test gives very poor results for the G2180, while the G2380 is one of the best heads in his tests. I have not field-tested the G2180 since my earliest posts, but a friend of mine whose judgment I trust had one on a trip and was very unhappy with the lack of stability/proneness to vibration. He uses the large Zeiss Diascope, though.

Kimmo

Thanks, Kimmo, I had seen that test, and I was a bit disappointed. The 2380 is simply too heavy for my travel needs. I had hoped the 2180 would be sturdier than it turned out to be. Have you ever looked at the Novoflex DinO head? It was my only choice of a decent light-weight model when I had to get one. Those lighter Manfrotto models and the ones we are discussing in this thread where not available yet at that time. Meanwhile, the vertical movement is no longer as smooth as it was when I bought it. This is why I am looking around for a replacement. I must say that the DinO head has served me very well for many years now, and it has taken many rough treatments without much of a problem. (The only thing to pay attention to: the screw which serves to adjust horizontal movement/locking needs a bit of lock-tite screw fastener about every two years. Otherwise, it might get lost inadvertently.) But now, I think that locking mechanism for the O ring (i.e. the vertical movement) may be dirty. Maybe, too much dust got inside. No cork plate or so on this setup, so it's fairly sturdy. Good enough for my heavy Leica APO77 scope. And light enough for an attractive travel combination with my Velbon 6400 Sherpa Pro carbon tripod and the Nikon EDIII 60mm scope.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back