• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

A Bat close encounter! (1 Viewer)

Pam_m

I have just been watching the Bats flying around my garden, I have not seen them for a while now! They were flying so close to the house I thought I would have to close the windows :-O

I watched them for a few minutes and then the rain started, end of show for tonight! :flyaway: :flyaway:

Pam_m said:
I have just been watching the Bats flying around my garden, I have not seen them for a while now! They were flying so close to the house I thought I would have to close the windows :-O

I watched them for a few minutes and then the rain started, end of show for tonight! :flyaway: :flyaway:

Hello Pam

I love watching bats as well, we used to have them in the garden but gradually they have disapeared as the houses have incroached on all our spare open spaces and the barns have been converted - sad.

Had a great time in Northumberland on holiday - stayed in a coverted mill and the roof space was full of bats. It was fascinating listening to them slowly waking up and chatting to each other every evening before they flew out. It took about 20 mins for them all to leave.

The day we left we got up at 4.o'clock in the morning and the outside was alive with bats but there was no danger of them flying into us, their radar system is so good. Wish we still had them in the garden.

Bridie

Lovely to read about Pam, you too Bridie. We've had them here a lot, chasing after the Moths, lovely to watch.

Beware Pam as they will come in IF you leave the window open and the light off!!! That was my first indoor encounter with them about 25 years ago after leaving the bathroom windows open after bathing the children. It ended up in the lounge and absolutely terrified me back then!

I've come a long way since then though and at our last home used to love standing outside listening to the Dawn Chorus and watching Bats as they almost flew into me...and the noises they make are fantastic!!! We don't have half as many here so I treasure them all.

Happy watching Pam,

Sue

Hi Pam,
What a late summer bonus that was.
I dont know where my regulars are this year, we use to get approx 20 bats doing their frantic night show. During July at exactly 9pm every night out they would come but Ive only noticed the odd one out of the coner of my eye this year.
Come to think of it, I wonder if the pond has anything to do with it?
No, maybe not.

Cor blimey charlie Bridie, good job Bats dont give you the wobbles!! lol
Talk about "timeshare"

LOL, Sue,
You snook in your post when I was writing (good evening Sue)!!
Eeek I did'nt know that, I thought only insects & moths called in to say hello on a summers night. I find them facinating but dont think I would want them indoors!!! Bless (heehee)

Last edited:
Hi Sue,
I know! that's what so strange! but this is the first summer with pond & without Bats!
Having said that, its only my third year in this house, so maybe they "bred & fled"
Enjoyed them for 2 summers so cant complain.

Hi Bridie, Sue and Pie,

The bats are lovely to watch aren't they, I shall be out looking for them again tonight!

I remember reading about your holiday Bats Bridie, must have been an amazing feeling having them flying so close! |=)|

Sue thanks for the tip, I will close the windows when they are about :eek!:

I wouldn't think a pond would deter them either Pie, hopefully yours will return soon :D

Best Batty wishes 3:)

Hi all,

We've got a new pond this year, but it's made absolutely no difference to the bats. We did have a swallow skim above the water once early on, but I think it was before any insects had arrived,so we never saw it again.

Our visit by a bat was described on Blue tit Surprise post.

I do love watching them. On warm summer evenings we go out on the balcony and they fly just above our heads. Lovely. I don't know where the idea came from they can get tangled up in your hair, I would've thought that their radar was too good for that. :hi: :hi:

Just to try and get kids indoors on late summer evenings I'll bet a bob! It worked with me anyway!!!!

Hi Cathy,

was just wondering last night about you with your new pond and the Bats you have so thanks for that bit of info. Back to you later honest!

Sue

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back