• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Farlington Marsh - second visit (1 Viewer)

J Moss

Another visit to Farlington Marsh today. Got there about 10:30ish. Bitterly cold, and a cloudless sky. I wasnt really dressed for it, which was a massive put-off and my heart wasnt really in it at first.

The first lap of the place didnt really produce anything different to what I saw on the first visit (see http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=60227&page=4&pp=25 post #89), except 2+ Bar Tailed Godwits, 2+GBB Gulls and a Mute Swan on the pond at the East of the reserve.

It was about 12:30 now and I was thinking of heading home, but as I was getting in the car, I noticed a large bird of prey soaring in the distance. Thought it was a Buzzard, but it soared lower and lower, until it was gliding just above the reed beds, Marsh Harrier-style, and I could clearly i.d. it as a 2nd Autumn male Marsh Harrier (according to Collins) with a cream face, but clearly the starts of dark primaries. It hung around for a while, once landing in a field, but then dissapearing. This convinced me to stay a little longer.

A second lap of the reserve proved worthwhile, as it produced a pair of Merlins (one perched and another hunting Sparrowhawk-style about 3 metres right past me!), 2+ Reed Buntings, a male and a female Kestrel (and a poss 3rd female) and another view of the returning Marsh Harrier.

Not a bad days birding

J Moss

Last edited:
sounds like you had a brilliant day. i recently saw a merlin at keyhaven marshes. they're brilliant aren't they?

Yup. Saw my first only about 2 weeks ago, at Farlington. The one that flew past me was brushing the tops of the hedges trying to flush something out. Stunning!

Hayling Island and Farlington

Had a look in on Hayling Island, Hampshire today, to take a wander around the Mussel beds. Stopped off at the seafront to the south of the island, to see if there was anything at sea. Turned out there wasn't! (wrong weather I suppose), except a Great Crested Grebe and the usual gulls, Pigeons and Corvids. However, the presence of a Mediterranean Gull on the car park was a nice surprise, and brightened up an otherwize rubbish start to the day.

Followed this up with a visit to 'Hayling Billy', the Mussel beds. The tide being in meant that there was no room for all of the waders to land, so instead, they formed a massive swirling cloud, changing from a near sphericle mass, to long streaming waves. Pretty awe-inspiring. The birds present in the area included; 16 Red Breasted Meregansers, 3Little Grebes, 1 Kingfisher, 28+ Brents (Bernicula), Dunlin, Redshank, Grey Plover, Oystercatchers, Knots, Skylarks, Meadow Pipits, about 11 Little Egrets, Cormorants, Turnstones, a Grey Heron, Teal, Wigeon, GGreat Creasted Grebes, Curlew, a Kestrel and a Green Woodpecker on an electricity pilon. Not too bad.

Afterwards, I visited the local patch, Farlington Marsh. As well as the usuals (see above post and link), there was 1 Spotted Redshank on the pond, as well as 13 Ringed Plovers, 5 Golden Plovers, which were a new resident, 19 Avocets, 220+ BT Godwits and 5 Skylarks feeding in low cut grass. I saw 2 Red Breasted Meregansers on the sea. A total of 25 Little Egrets were present around the reserve, and a Black Brant was still present among the usual dark bellied Brents. 2 Bearded Tits were poking their heads up in the reeds along with Reeds Buntings.

Shame about the seawatching, but otherwise, a good days birding.

J Moss

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back