• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help on this Blackbird please (1 Viewer)

Al Kat

Picture taken Nov, 6, 2006 in southern Ontario Canada.I am having trouble with this blackbird it seems to be different than what our Common Crackles look like The head looks more rounded and the birds seem smaller than a Crackle I did not see the tail well and the bird colour is not showing well being wet I was wondering if it could be a Brewer's Blackbird

What are your thoughts on this bird thanks for any help

Al Kat

Attachments

• Common Crackle IMG_0064 copy.jpg
    Common Crackle IMG_0064 copy.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Common Crackle IMG_0068 copy.jpg
    Common Crackle IMG_0068 copy.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 131
Al Kat said:
Picture taken Nov, 6, 2006 in southern Ontario Canada.I am having trouble with this blackbird it seems to be different than what our Common Crackles look like The head looks more rounded and the birds seem smaller than a Crackle I did not see the tail well and the bird colour is not showing well being wet I was wondering if it could be a Brewer's Blackbird

Al Kat
Hi Al Kat,

To me, this looks like a Common Grackle. The structure is off for it being a Brewer's Blackbird, in particular, the bill is too thick and substantial for a Brewer's. Also, the fact that the head is glossy while the body is matte brown suggests grackle too. Virtually all non-glossed Brewer's are dark eyed females.

Chris

Hello Al, Chris and Halftwo,

When I look at this bird (looking mainly at the second photo), I see:

1. A round head with a steep forehead, that is distinctly brown in the lores and the crown.
2. A bill that is within range for Brewer's (see 3 of the 5 birds in the link below). This is particularly true as being wet can depress feathers, and make the bill look relatively larger.
http://roysephotos.com/BrewersBlackbird.html
3. A tail that would be short for Grackle -- but just right for Brewer's.
4. A bit of a rotund appearance to the body, again better for Brewer's.
5. A concentration of what iridescence we can see around the wing coverts, and just above and below (see photo below).
http://www.miriameaglemon.com/photogallery/Brewer's%20Blackbird%20YM%20Henshaw.jpg
6. An observer who in the field and at close range thought the bird was noticeably smaller than a Common Grackle.

When I add 1 through 6 up, they don't sum up to Common Grackle for my vote. There is a stronger case for Brewer's in my opinion.

(I certainly don't want to make a habit of disagreeing with Chris, as that would mean that I would usually be wrong, but this bird did cry out for a bit of the old devil's advocate counterpoints.)

My first impression was also of Brewer's Blackbird. If you noticed any in flight, the fanned tail is a perfect way to id the Brewer's

This is a Brewer's Blackbird. The shorter unkeeled tail, rounder head and bill shape give it away. The only other Blackbird matching this shape so closely is the Rusty Blackbird which at this time males (and this is a male because of the eye color) are not as black but more rusty colored as the name suggest. Female Rusty has pale eyes but is much lighter in color. This bill is shorter than a Common Grackle's but like that species, it has a slightl curve to it. Brewer's bill does not end with a sharp point like Rusty's does and its not as triangular.

I immediatly recognized this bird as a Brewer's becuase they are common in California and I've work with them at a refuge and cared for some. If you see similar looking brown ones with dark eyes hanging around with them, those are the female Brewer's.

Last edited:
B Lagopus said:
(I certainly don't want to make a habit of disagreeing with Chris, as that would mean that I would usually be wrong, but this bird did cry out for a bit of the old devil's advocate counterpoints.)
Hi All,

I will quickly concede this one. I guess it has been too many years since I hung out in shopping mall parking lots in California. I think that the combination of the bird being wet and appearing matte brown, along with its having a heavy bill led me astray. Thanks to you all for straightening me out.

Chris

Chris Benesh said:
Hi All,

I will quickly concede this one. I guess it has been too many years since I hung out in shopping mall parking lots in California. I think that the combination of the bird being wet and appearing matte brown, along with its having a heavy bill led me astray. Thanks to you all for straightening me out.

Chris

LOL Chris!, You'll have to put it down to jet lag ! You should have seen my reply & knowing I'm 100% accurate... (tongue firmly in cheek!!) That's what must have put you off doing the Epidomax thread !! Hope you're back to your usual form today! ATB Halftwo

Al Kat said:

Al Kat

Al Kat-

I agree this is a Brewer's Blackbird, which I've seen in the western US. Which brings me to a question - are these birds common this time of year in Ontario? Range maps put s. Ontario on the eastern edge of breeding range, but well north (and east) of winter range. I know Brewer's has expanded its range in the SE US over the past several decades - apparently the same in Ontario?

Drew Grainger
(aka Cornell75)

Cornell75 said:
Al Kat-

I agree this is a Brewer's Blackbird, which I've seen in the western US. Which brings me to a question - are these birds common this time of year in Ontario? Range maps put s. Ontario on the eastern edge of breeding range, but well north (and east) of winter range. I know Brewer's has expanded its range in the SE US over the past several decades - apparently the same in Ontario?

Drew Grainger
(aka Cornell75)

This is the first Brewer's I have seen but it would be easy for one to be in all the Grackles we have here.I have not done a lot of fall bird watching and am far from a expert,the range maps I have looked at show the Brewer's about 1 1/2 hour drive north of me and extends east about a 3 hour drive I have been trying to find out when they typically migrate south but no luck.Anyone with info on migration would be appreciated

Hope I have some what answer your question

Al Kat

Attachments

• Map -.jpg
    Map -.jpg
    408.7 KB · Views: 62
Okay All,

I'm heading out the door and driving to the nearest California MacDonalds parking lot. I must admit that I could not keep from laughing after seeing the most recent issue of North American Birds Vol. 60 (284). There is another small billed bird with unkeeled tail labeled as a Common Grackle from Imperial Beach, California. Here is the better online version of the image:

http://www.wfo-cbrc.org/cbrc/photos/cogr121905.html

It looks quite a bit like the mystery bird to me, though not as wet.

Chris

Chris Benesh said:
Okay All,

I'm heading out the door and driving to the nearest California MacDonalds parking lot. I must admit that I could not keep from laughing after seeing the most recent issue of North American Birds Vol. 60 (284). There is another small billed bird with unkeeled tail labeled as a Common Grackle from Imperial Beach, California. Here is the better online version of the image:

http://www.wfo-cbrc.org/cbrc/photos/cogr121905.html

It looks quite a bit like the mystery bird to me, though not as wet.

Chris

Hi Chris,
I will admit, the Ontario bird had me looking at pictures, but the CA bird looks like a Common Grackle [although I may be getting cross-eyed too]. The tail feathers are layered, bill stout, and big feet.
For all I don't know, I can still learn about more things I don't know.
CHEERS, JOE

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back