• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Gotcha......I think ! (1 Viewer)

JohnZ

After my failure on the weekend I had a chance to return to Bough Beech today. I waited about an hour before it turned up but I think it was worth it.
I took a few shots, was distracted, then looked back and I thought it was there again. Happy days ! Sadly I then realised I had taken a whole bunch of shots of the wrong bird. The bird I had taken the shots of was, I believe, a Coal Tit. Oh well.

Attachments

• IMG_7204-copy.jpg
    IMG_7204-copy.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_7206-copy.jpg
    IMG_7206-copy.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_7216-copy.jpg
    IMG_7216-copy.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 205
  • IMG_7252-copy.jpg
    IMG_7252-copy.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_7255-copy.jpg
    IMG_7255-copy.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 101
Only the last two are Coal tits.... here we go again on the Marsh/willow debate.

In the time you were wathing and photographing it, how was it calling?

Last edited:
110% Marsh Tit; the last 2 pics being a coal tit (and I'd put a fiver on it being male with that stonking bib - females usually have much smaller bibs).

On the Marsh Tit, although not the best angles for all features, note the pale cutting edges to the bill (not found in willow tit), the nice demarcation between the white cheek and the dirty white/brownish sides of the neck (all whitish on willow), the fairly pale and kinda sleek underparts (usually loose and fluffy-looking on willow), and absence of any clear pale fringes to the secondaries (which is obvious on most willows).

Also, note the pale tips to the greater coverts - this is a good sign of a 1st winter. Adults usually have plain greater coverts - with the eye of faith you can see that the inner ones have possibly been replaced and lack the tips (oh, ok then, that's pushing it a bit with that photo! Pale tips suggest a 1st winter though).

Last edited:
There are actually 3 different birds here.
1 & 2 same bird, 3 is different bird, and 4-5 same bird (coal).
Note that 1 & 2 are ringed while 3 isn't.
Just get the ring number and you are set with the ID..

Jane, The bird did not make a sound, that I heard anyway. It seemed more timid than the other tits that were all over the feeders.

While in argeement with Poecile (and others), beware of the pale cutting edge character, since gloss can confuse matters.

JanJ

And I've got it, too. Thanks for all the tips on the last thread, everyone. I have spent many hours since the last posts in both Willow and Marsh locations. I see what you mean about the call overlap, Poecile, but the Willow's chay is not quite like the Marsh's soundalike and I can definitely differentiate. I guess it's the same call but in a different voice. And to my ear the pit-choo is more of a pit-dzeu.

Thanks again,
Graham

While I agree that the first two images are classic Marsh Tit, I would suggest the third bird is less than straight forward!

Tristan R said:
While I agree that the first two images are classic Marsh Tit, I would suggest the third bird is less than straight forward!

The 3rd is the easiest of the lot, imo.

bitterntwisted - yes, I know what you mean, there's a definate difference in quality between typical willow and typical marsh. The point was not to rely on that alone, especially if you're not very familiar with either. There's quite a bit of variation within Marsh alone, and especially females around the nest can give very nasal calls. Re the pitchoo - a while back I went to have a look at a population in Cumrbia - they sounded distinctly different from the population I'm used to in East Anglia, much more slurry. So you have to bear things like that in mind when listening to recordings or call descriptions.

Tristan R said:

Sorry Tristan. They are Marsh Tits, and I can't see anything on the 3rd bird to suggest it might not be. What is it that has you doubting?

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back