• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

First Ever Norfolk Trip (1 Viewer)

Duck_Pond

Professional Wildlife Photographer And Guide
Scotland
I had planned to go for a few days, but as usual, the plan fell through! Late on Tuesday night I decided that I ought to at least go for a day. So, alarm set for 5am, and by 9am I was parked up at Snettisham RSPB reserve.

It wasn't looking good. Having driven up with the sun in my eyes all the way, I arrived in a blizzard of sleet! So I sat in the car for a few mins, and it cleared away. Wisely, I'd brought my golf over-trousers with me, and they are so warm! Donned my wellies, as the notice board suggested, and headed towards the hides.

Walking alongside a lake, I could see black headed gulls, greylag geese, a couple of pheasants and not much else. Up over the steps and into a gale! The sun was out by now, but I was glad of my woolly hat!

On the beach were oystercatchers, ringed plovers, redshanks, avocets, shelducks, knots and brent geese.

Walking on to the 2nd hide, by a lake, I decided to get a shot of the scenery, and had a quite amazing experience. As I took the picture, I heard this fluttering, whooshing sound from my right, turned to see what it was and a huge flock of knot, rushed by, all around me! Could feel the breeze off them as they shot by! So I stood there and was fortunate enough to have 2 more flocks go by. Masses of them. Thousands.

Wandering down to the hide by the lake, I spotted skylarks? Seemed quite small. Also saw a green woodpecker fly by. The shelter of the hide was nice, and allowed me to rest my eyes for a second. Contact lenses and strong winds don't mix. On the lake were more greylag, brent, gulls, a couple of gadwells, coots and thousands of oystercatchers! All camped up on the left side, like a black sea, with orange sticks here and there, floating on it.

Leaving the hide, I opted not to go to the other hide, but to try to get better pics of the skylarks. Whilst doing so, I spotted a TV crew wandering back from the hide I'd not visited, and I thought to myself "Ha, probably Bill Oddie!".

I followed the crew alongside this extra lake along where the path should have been, and crossed where they did. It was still almost over my wellies! I noticed 3 of the crew had stopped, so as I walked up, I got ready to say "Hello" and that was when Bill Oddie turned around! I could have died laughing, but I remained calm and simply said "Morning" to him, as I would to anyone else. He wears a woolly hat pulled up to a peak - I reckon to make himself look taller ;)

Anyway, back along the beach, I could see bar-tailed godwits, more redshank and oystercatchers. And I got quite close to a wading knot, in the mud.

Back to the car, I set off to Titchwell Marsh. It had clouded over unfortunately, and I missed the warmth from the sun. Still, a sausage bap soon warmed me up. Walking from the visitor centre, I could see various woodland birds on the feeders, including house sparrows in the trees nearby.

Nothing but a coot visible from the first hide, so off to the next. Over the ground to the left of the lakes, was a kestrel hunting, and a few moments later, a buzzard riding the breeze, swept by. Well timed, I got into the hide just as the heavens opened. I waited for the rain to pass, and the sun reappeared.

Could see avocets, knots, shovelers, mallards, black-headed gulls, moorhens, coots, brent geese, a black-tailed godwit and a little egret on the land nearby, plus a pied wagtail and reed bunting. From the viewing platform on the end, I could see pretty much the same as what was at Snettisham, but much further away, and it was really cold! So I opted not to press on that way.

Back in the visitor centre, I asked about owls, as I'd hoped to be lucky enough to see maybe a barn owl... the lady suggested Flitcham, Abbey Farm, for a little owl, and possibly a kingfisher.

Heading away from Titchwell, I spotted a sign for a reserve near Holme, so popped down to see that. Along the dunes, I could see a small stream meandering out to sea, and on that was a curlew and redshank. Several chaffinches and dunnocks fluttered about the dunes too. Plus possibly a pipet, amongst the washed up straw stuff, but it was shy and flew off before I could get a shot. Plus shelduck and another ringed plover.

Back from the car park - why they need to have speed bumps along the road, when the surface is like an eggbox is beyond me - I spotted a thrush, standing proudly. Well, I say I spotted - a twitcher parked nearby in his car gave it away somewhat!

Off to Flitcham then, for the last stop. Managed to find the place, thanks to the RSPB lady's great directions, and parked up. Into the hide, and what a wonderful set up. Like a natural zoo!

Bunnies, pheasants, greylags, gulls, curlew, mallards (plus ducklings) crows, jackdaws, wood pigeons, oystercatchers, and as promised, a pair of little owls, perched on a broken tree. Fantastic. Not equite the raptors I'd hoped for (i.e. harriers / barn owls) but still good to see. A sparrowhawk made a pass, scaring the crows too.

I waited until about 5pm, hoping to see a barn owl - one was reported in the book, for the day before, but it was starting to get colder, and I had the nice 3 hour drive back to contend with. So, I was just about to leave when I heard a sound outside the hide. A goldcrest! (edited after further viewing of photo) Hopping about the bushes. Marvellous!

So, a great day out, and I'll definitely go again, if not in May sort of time, perhaps to see the Marsh Harriers. It's certainly a superb part of the country for birding and photography. Perhaps next time, I'll seek advice from locals on here for the best place for owls and harriers. The quest continues!

Last edited:
Duck_Pond said:
I had planned to go for a few days, but as usual, the plan fell through! Late on Tuesday night I decided that I ought to at least go for a day. So, alarm set for 5am, and by 9am I was parked up at Snettisham RSPB reserve.

It wasn't looking good. Having driven up with the sun in my eyes all the way, I arrived in a blizzard of sleet! So I sat in the car for a few mins, and it cleared away. Wisely, I'd brought my golf over-trousers with me, and they are so warm! Donned my wellies, as the notice board suggested, and headed towards the hides.

Walking alongside a lake, I could see black headed gulls, greylag geese, a couple of pheasants and not much else. Up over the steps and into a gale! The sun was out by now, but I was glad of my woolly hat!

On the beach were oystercatchers, ringed plovers, redshanks, avocets, shelducks, knots and brent geese.

Walking on to the 2nd hide, by a lake, I decided to get a shot of the scenery, and had a quite amazing experience. As I took the picture, I heard this fluttering, whooshing sound from my right, turned to see what it was and a huge flock of knot, rushed by, all around me! Could feel the breeze off them as they shot by! So I stood there and was fortunate enough to have 2 more flocks go by. Masses of them. Thousands.

Wandering down to the hide by the lake, I spotted skylarks? Seemed quite small. Also saw a green woodpecker fly by. The shelter of the hide was nice, and allowed me to rest my eyes for a second. Contact lenses and strong winds don't mix. On the lake were more greylag, brent, gulls, a couple of gadwells, coots and thousands of oystercatchers! All camped up on the left side, like a black sea, with orange sticks here and there, floating on it.

Leaving the hide, I opted not to go to the other hide, but to try to get better pics of the skylarks. Whilst doing so, I spotted a TV crew wandering back from the hide I'd not visited, and I thought to myself "Ha, probably Bill Oddie!".

I followed the crew alongside this extra lake along where the path should have been, and crossed where they did. It was still almost over my wellies! I noticed 3 of the crew had stopped, so as I walked up, I got ready to say "Hello" and that was when Bill Oddie turned around! I could have died laughing, but I remained calm and simply said "Morning" to him, as I would to anyone else. He wears a woolly hat pulled up to a peak - I reckon to make himself look taller ;)

Anyway, back along the beach, I could see bar-tailed godwits, more redshank and oystercatchers. And I got quite close to a wading knot, in the mud.

Back to the car, I set off to Titchwell Marsh. It had clouded over unfortunately, and I missed the warmth from the sun. Still, a sausage bap soon warmed me up. Walking from the visitor centre, I could see various woodland birds on the feeders, including house sparrows in the trees nearby.

Nothing but a coot visible from the first hide, so off to the next. Over the ground to the left of the lakes, was a kestrel hunting, and a few moments later, a buzzard riding the breeze, swept by. Well timed, I got into the hide just as the heavens opened. I waited for the rain to pass, and the sun reappeared.

Could see avocets, knots, shovelers, mallards, black-headed gulls, moorhens, coots, brent geese, a black-tailed godwit and a little egret on the land nearby, plus a pied wagtail and reed bunting. From the viewing platform on the end, I could see pretty much the same as what was at Snettisham, but much further away, and it was really cold! So I opted not to press on that way.

Back in the visitor centre, I asked about owls, as I'd hoped to be lucky enough to see maybe a barn owl... the lady suggested Flitcham, Abbey Farm, for a little owl, and possibly a kingfisher.

Heading away from Titchwell, I spotted a sign for a reserve near Holme, so popped down to see that. Along the dunes, I could see a small stream meandering out to sea, and on that was a curlew and redshank. Several chaffinches and dunnocks fluttered about the dunes too. Plus possibly a pipet, amongst the washed up straw stuff, but it was shy and flew off before I could get a shot. Plus shelduck and another ringed plover.

Back from the car park - why they need to have speed bumps along the road, when the surface is like an eggbox is beyond me - I spotted a thrush, standing proudly. Well, I say I spotted - a twitcher parked nearby in his car gave it away somewhat!

Off to Flitcham then, for the last stop. Managed to find the place, thanks to the RSPB lady's great directions, and parked up. Into the hide, and what a wonderful set up. Like a natural zoo!

Bunnies, pheasants, greylags, gulls, curlew, mallards (plus ducklings) crows, jackdaws, wood pigeons, oystercatchers, and as promised, a pair of little owls, perched on a broken tree. Fantastic. Not equite the raptors I'd hoped for (i.e. harriers / barn owls) but still good to see. A sparrowhawk made a pass, scaring the crows too.

I waited until about 5pm, hoping to see a barn owl - one was reported in the book, for the day before, but it was starting to get colder, and I had the nice 3 hour drive back to contend with. So, I was just about to leave when I heard a sound outside the hide. A firecrest! Hopping about the bushes. Marvellous!

So, a great day out, and I'll definitely go again, if not in May sort of time, perhaps to see the Marsh Harriers. It's certainly a superb part of the country for birding and photography. Perhaps next time, I'll seek advice from locals on here for the best place for owls and harriers. The quest continues!

Sounds like a lovely day. We were over there on Wednesday too - it was bl***y cold in the morning, wasn't it? Especially on the platform at Titchwell where the wind was biting. What time were you there? Willbowell and I were there from about 9.30 to 11 maybe. We'd hoped for Will to see the Green-winged Teal but sadly it was not to be. Congrats on your Bill Oddie sighting! ;)

i wonder what bill oddie was filming for? perhaps a nice peice about waders for springwatch?

I'd be there a lot more often, if the drive wasn't so long! I was at Titchwell from 12pm till about 2, so just after you.

According to one of his crew who I chatted briefly to, whilst helping them with a gate, Bill Oddie was filming the flocks of knot. I might be on TV, looking daft in my blue woolly hat :) I suspect it was for Springwatch, as Kate Humble was there too.

Just to add, the photos from the trip are gradually appearing in my fotopic gallery, as linked below. Cheers.

That must have been a couple of good experiences, being surrounded by Knot and walking into Bills entourage.

Norfolk is a place I visit as often as possible. In fact I am probably doing four days over that way next week (from the 28th).

Regarding Raptors. You ought to start the year of at the Crane roost at Stubbs Mill. Plenty of Marsh Harriers with the odd Hen Harrier plus the possibility of Peregrine, Sparrowhawk, Merlin, Barn Owl (the latter virtually guaranteed) and I have even had Bittern flying by, plus thousands of Pink feet flying overhead. All within 90 mins of dusk.

John

Duck_Pond said:
I'd be there a lot more often, if the drive wasn't so long! I was at Titchwell from 12pm till about 2, so just after you.

According to one of his crew who I chatted briefly to, whilst helping them with a gate, Bill Oddie was filming the flocks of knot. I might be on TV, looking daft in my blue woolly hat :) I suspect it was for Springwatch, as Kate Humble was there too.

Shame, I was hoping to add a BF tick!

Another time you might be lucky enough to pick up a Barn Owl on the way over - I've seen them quite a few times by the A47 if I'm early enough.

I am another fan of day trips to Norfolk, and fortunately a little nearer than you, being only 2 hours from Titchwell. I never seem to have a dull day out in Norfolk, but always prepare for a chill wind in winter.

I think it best to have a plan beforehand and do a couple of sites well rather than try to visit too many sites.

Whilst you'll never beat local knowledge, there is a pretty good book by Neil Glenn entitled Best birding sites in Norfolk. It could certainly give you some ideas on how best plan a day out to maximise opportunites of what you looking for and has some decent maps of the sites.

I'll confess to missing out on the Little Owl on my first visit to Abbey Farm last weekend. Not sure what route you'd take to Norfolk, but Red Kites are easy to see driving through Corby area of Northants any time of the year.

Duck_Pond said:

Glad you had a good time Pete! You were very brave to stagger along in that wind at Snettisham, although the spectacle of the Knot are always worth it. Having seen it hundreds of times, it is a sight that I never tire of. On a sunny Spring morning it can be just wonderful !
I am surprised that you did not see a Barn Owl as travelling from Titchwell to Flitcham in the late afternoon can almost guarantee a sighting of one. The Short-eared Owl over Redwell Marsh at Holme is fairly regular too. After Flitcham you could have called in at Roydon Common for the Harrier Roost ! We sometimes get Merlin too.
Sue...........I have filled up my sunflower seed feeder twice today........the Greenfinches are hungry! :brains:

Spotted a red kite near Rockingham - was circling the edge of the road. I'd forgotten about that!

Yes, next time I go, I'll a) decide earlier than 7 hours before leaving, and b) do some research into where to head for!

And hopefully I'll stay over next time, so instead of the thought of a 3 hour drive back after waiting for owls to show up, I can look forward to sinking a few jars of local ale! A much better idea!

Norfolk seems fairly exotic from a Stockholm perspercive so I enjoyed reading this report very much. It would be nice to visit the area some time.
Graham

Duck_Pond said:
Whilst doing so, I spotted a TV crew wandering back from the hide I'd not visited, and I thought to myself "Ha, probably Bill Oddie!".

BLODDIE HELL!!!!! :eek!: ;)

That's only happened in my dreams, only it's Freiston Shore that's the place it happens! Oh, you lucky, lucky swine, you!!!!!! :t:

Only a 'hello'? Good grief, that's restrained! I'd have blathered on for a good 15 minutes! Dammit, I'm jealous! :storm: :t:

Hi All

I too have been in norfolk this week

I was in cley on tuesday and saw Bill Oddie and crew filming. On thursday I did the wader high tide walk with the warden, he said that the film crew had been filming there the previous day. He did not know what the programe was to be caled but it was going to be screened in spring next year

I am hoping to go back in April/May

cheers julie

Norfolk birding

Hi there to all you day visitors, I use to be in the same boat living in Notts until 7 years ago, when I then moved to Norfolk.

If any of you are planning trips over to Norfolk then take a look around and pop a post on to http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=59348&page=35&pp=25. Many of the regulars on there may well be willing to part with useful info via PM, and also may be able to spare a few hours of their day to show you the best stuff.

I still get a great kick from going out birding here, and it's sometimes nice to share a bit of enthusiasm with visiting birders - you might also be surprised by some of the less well visited sites away from Titchwell, Cley & Snettisham.

Anyway keep enjoying Norfolk & then move here -we did!!

ATB Chris

jay-jay said:
Hi All

I too have been in norfolk this week

I was in cley on tuesday and saw Bill Oddie and crew filming. On thursday I did the wader high tide walk with the warden, he said that the film crew had been filming there the previous day. He did not know what the programe was to be caled but it was going to be screened in spring next year

I am hoping to go back in April/May

cheers julie
So, he filmed in Cley on Tuesday, Snettisham yesterday....... he's heading in the right direction round the coast for Freiston! ;)

COME ON, BILL! You know you want to film at Freiston!

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back