• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Handmade adapter (prototype!) (1 Viewer)

papasula

Here are some pix of my first attempt at a digiscoping adapter...

Made from ABS plastic plumbing fittings and a 28mm to 37mm step up ring all cemented together with JB Weld (seen as gray in the pictures).

Attachments

• adapter1.jpg
    adapter1.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 416
  • adapter2.jpg
    adapter2.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 363
Last edited:
picture 2 shows a "scope-end" view of the adapter and the white length shown is a part that fits (perfectly) the eyepiece of my Leica 20-60X with the rubber cup removed. It practically snaps into place. It is sometimes too snug and I struggle with it. On the scope end of the eyepiece, I put a rubber o-ring that snugs it on that end as well, keeping it hands free.

yes papsula, how is it working? does it stay centered o.k. and are the camera and scope lens close enough to each other? also i don't recognise those plumbing fittings could you explaine what they are. you have obviously cut a slot for adjusting the zoom but did you do something to the inside of the fitting?
more cheers,
richard

Sorry for the late response...thanks Richard for kicking me in the behind!

The fittings are ABS plastic plumbing fixtures. The body of the adapter is a 2" coupling (~$.69 at Home Depot). The 28mm-37mm stepup ring was included with my Nikon CoolPix 990 via eBay. This stepup is plastic which works well for this application. The other fitting is a cap (with a hole in it) of some sorts that was given to me. When I mention "glue" in the remainder of this post, I refer to JB Weld brand (~&4.95) adhesive. I also purchased a 2" rubber fitting (~$3.95) found in the same area of Home Depot that has hose clamps on either side of it. This is used to snug the scope end of the adapter and keep the camera on target. I also bought a Dremel kit for $29.99 but wouldn't include this in the final total because I am assuming that you already have tools.

As I write this I realize that I should take some photos of each step for clarity sake. Stay tuned....

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back