• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10x42 IS L with a finnstick (1 Viewer)

kabsetz

As promised on another thread, here will be a few photos showing how you can utilize the perfectly positioned tripod attachment thread on the underside of the L and the 15&18×50 Canons

Attachments

• 20220805_112226.jpg
    20220805_112226.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 110
  • 20220805_112143.jpg
    20220805_112143.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 107
Another one of the monopod I use. The handle is my addition and both eases the grip and reduces shake a bit more

Attachments

• 20220805_112547.jpg
    20220805_112547.jpg
    956.9 KB · Views: 65
  • 20220805_112603.jpg
    20220805_112603.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 62
This monopod weighs about 250 grammes with handle and all. It allows me to view almost indefinitely without my arms tiring. No tripod head is needed, but for viewing stars from a standing position a tiny ballhead might be useful.
Any lightweight monopod or selfie stick will do. Thanks to IS, you don't gain almost anything by having the pod rest on ground, so waist to eyes is long enough

Correct me if om wrong but when I did a camera course I was always told to switch off the anti vibration when using a tripod as its counter productive. Would the same be said for a pair of image stabilised binoculars? Cheers Stu

Another one of the monopod I use. The handle is my addition and both eases the grip and reduces shake a bit more
Very interesting idea.
Based on your input a long while back, I use the Velbon Super 8 Ultra Stick, a very compact monopod with my Canon 10x42ISL. It adjusts to be a great finnstick. The added handle is a really nice idea, will have to see what I can finagle.
Cullmann has some first rate designs, but they are hard to get here in the USA. I've been reduced to Ebay to find their stuff.

Nice photos and thx Kabsetz. I’ve tried these with a few bins and find I shake more holding the stick low, of course better when specifically using the stick with IS. I find that I prefer a small tripod with legs folded in with just one extension open. Then when I do get tired holding them , I can extend the remaining sections and and stand it up.

Paul

Some years ago I tried a monopod in Finnstick style as shown by Kimmo (thanks!), with my bino as well as with my camera. But I could not hold the Monopod on its lower end - too much shake and it felt somehow awkward - but put it in the waistband of my trousers and held the bino/camera in the ordinary way with both hands. But in the end I preferred to hold them either freehand or to mount them on a proper tripod. Each on his own!

Some years ago I tried a monopod in Finnstick style as shown by Kimmo (thanks!), with my bino as well as with my camera. But I could not hold the Monopod on its lower end - too much shake and it felt somehow awkward - but put it in the waistband of my trousers and held the bino/camera in the ordinary way with both hands. But in the end I preferred to hold them either freehand or to mount them on a proper tripod. Each on his own!
Try adding a handle to the Finnstick, as shown in some of Kimmo's photos. It makes quite a difference.

Hermann

The handle I have comes from some bicycle rear mudguard kit (intended to attach a mudguard onto the seat post). Anything that is easily attached and does not weigh too much will do, as this does not have to be very strong. Ideally, there would be a handle for both hands, but it would make the stick clumsier. I have experimented with this, but haven't bothered to take it into use.

- Kimmo

The handle I have comes from some bicycle rear mudguard kit (intended to attach a mudguard onto the seat post).
That's an interesting idea. I've experimented with various handles, however, I didn't find anything too convincing yet.
Anything that is easily attached and does not weigh too much will do, as this does not have to be very strong. Ideally, there would be a handle for both hands, but it would make the stick clumsier. I have experimented with this, but haven't bothered to take it into use.
Same here.

BTW, my current Finnstick was originally part of a tripod leg. It has several disadvantages, so I've been looking for a different solution myself. I see you're using a Cullmann selfie stick that looks pretty good, so I ordered one to have a look.

hermann

Hermann,

The Cullmann is nice, lightweight, not too long and with a padded grip and a wrist-strap. The quick locks work nicely, but on mine the top one is slightly broken (works still) so the quality is so-so and is not made to take a lot of abuse.

I use the finnstick during most of my birding, exceptions being forest walks and really quick grab and view situations. On the sailboat I also don't use it, but if I went for a pelagic trip on a ship it would be my most important accessory.

- Kimmo

The Cullmann is nice, lightweight, not too long and with a padded grip and a wrist-strap. The quick locks work nicely, but on mine the top one is slightly broken (works still) so the quality is so-so and is not made to take a lot of abuse.
WellI, I ordered one, should get it on Monday. If I find it too flimsy, I may turn an old aluminium Gitzo I don't use anymore into my next Finnstick.

BTW, I use a Novoflex Miniconnect to attach the binoculars to the Finnstick or, inrare cases, to a monopod. The adapter pieces are so small they can remain attached to the binoculars at all time. Adds some more weight, but I like the convenience.
I use the finnstick during most of my birding, exceptions being forest walks and really quick grab and view situations. On the sailboat I also don't use it, but if I went for a pelagic trip on a ship it would be my most important accessory.
Well, I think your style of birding is a bit different from how I bird. Do you do a lot of more static birding, for instance watching migration at the coast?

Hermann

Kabsetz

You say: "Any lightweight monopod or selfie stick will do".

I add my own "cheapo" example. I attach a £1 selfie stick weighing 104g that I bought in a "Pound Store" a few years ago to a secondhand 720mm fl lightweight "take everywhere" bridge camera weighing 280g. I then go birdwatching with stick and camera immediately ready for action hanging together from the camera's neckstrap.

In reply to Stu57, I don't switch off the image stabiliser on the camera. I did a test trying to get feather detail on Sparrows outside my bedroom window, and got better results with the image stabiliser on.

Presently I am testing setting the camera up, by default, in portrait orientation (for better framing of birds that are perched upright), with the stick held vertically. I then, as necessary for other shots, rotate the camera into landscape orientation, and without changing setup, hold the stick instead horizontally.

I gather that, for whatever reason, some photographers are happier using a camera in landscape orientation. On the other hand I am fed up with cutting off birds' (or peoples') feet when using a camera in landscape orientation. I have set the focus point 5 clicks high, but find myself still doing it.

The result of testing is that, ergonomically, so far both portrait and landscape setups have performed satisfactorily. Optically, preliminary scrutiny of images continues.

Stephen

Nobody has mentioned attaching a V-Mount to a selfie stick. 7DayShop in England, I believe, ceased to stock a Finnish-made V-mount about five years ago. I have, however, just now carried out a Google search on string <v-mount rifle rest>. I found another UK seller selling V-mounts for £3.89 plus £1.50 postage. US sellers & AliExpress also offer V-mounts. The Vortex mount is outwardly identical to the 7DayShop mount

Last edited:
Kabsetz

I realised too late to edit my reply that I had gone badly off topic. I apologise.

In fact I do also use a cheap finnstick when using a binocular: A Yunteng 188. It's an old model without Bluetooth, and weighs 245g. The present price for the Bluetooth model on AliExpress is £11.93, and AliExpress advertises a reduction to £8.95 for Cyber Monday. I have bought a loop that screws into the base of the Yunteng for £2 on Ebay so that I can anchor the Yunteng (or carry it retracted) using a carabiner at my belt. Otherwise I may anchor the Yunteng in a gardener's belt pouch.

For the occasions when I carry binocular and bridge camera in the field, I need a screw on head that takes both. I use the model of V-mount previously sold by 7DayShop in England, and currently sold by Vortex. I stretch some towelling across the arms of the "V" to form a cradle. It's a compromise solution. I can only support the binocular by one barrel. But I can in this way switch rapidly from supporting the binocular to supporting the bridge camera, and vice-versa

Stephen

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 1 year ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back