• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

12x36 IS III is on the way. A couple questions (1 Viewer)

I don't think Canon can 'fix' the eye cups, if they are like those on the 10x42ISL.
Henry Link posted a cutaway of the 10x42 some years back iirc, showing that the eye pieces were totally stuffed with glass.
Short of redoing the entire optics, Canon is stuck with lumpy eye pieces.
The Canon eye cups are not lumpy on the 8x20 IS, 10x20 IS, 10x30 IS II and 12x36 IS III. They are actually quite comfortable, as rdnzl says above. I find the Canon 10x42 IS-L, 10,32 IS, 12x32 IS and 14x32 IS eye cups uncomfortable.

Good to hear of another happy user. Mine live in a pelicase (?1150 if I remember that far back). The suppliedd “case” was certainly no use. I keep a spare set of batteries in the rare case they are needed…. You’ll panic that they’ve broken, then remember that they need fresh batteries…

Peter

No idea, I don’t use it too often nowadays as I use an 8x and a scope. I remember the first time the view went sort of shaky and jangly…. Panic… replace batteries… phew. Sure others can advise how long they last under more regular use (I used AA lithium - last long and don’t leak):

Peter

No idea, I don’t use it too often nowadays as I use an 8x and a scope. I remember the first time the view went sort of shaky and jangly…. Panic… replace batteries… phew. Sure others can advise how long they last under more regular use (I used AA lithium - last long and don’t leak):

Peter
Battery life is months for me, the 10x42 shuts off automatically if the binoculars are allowed to hang down.
Admittedly, I only use the IS when actually looking at birds, it is not used while scanning for possible targets.
Agree entirely that AA lithiums are best, they work in the cold, don't leak and when exhausted they just quit, no 'kind of, sort of' lingering.

Agree entirely that AA lithiums are best, they work in the cold, don't leak and when exhausted they just quit, no 'kind of, sort of' lingering.
I personally prefer Eneloops. No problems at all. BTW, they don't leak either, and when exhausted they just quit as well.

Hermann

I personally prefer Eneloops. No problems at all. BTW, they don't leak either, and when exhausted they just quit as well.

Hermann
The Eneloops (Panasonic) nickel metal hydride can out gas if over charged, a white crystalline powder can be noticed and I believe that can do some damage.

The Eneloops (Panasonic) nickel metal hydride can out gas if over charged, a white crystalline powder can be noticed and I believe that can do some damage.
OTOH, you can't overcharge them inside the Canon binoculars because you can't charge them inside the binoculars in the first place ... :)

I got my first Eneloops as part of a groupbuy in Candlepowerforums before they became available in Europe and the US. Never had any case of out gassing, but then I always used good quality chargers. BTW, if someone tries to charge lithiums, the results can be quite spectacular ... 👻

Hermann

Hermann
I'm not sure the Eneloops just quit when exhausted, in my case, they gradually faded.
The IS on my first 10x42 went wonky after being used with a near depleted set of Eneloops, maybe just coincidence, but I've had no issues with my second one, which is exclusively powered by lithium AAs.

Eneloops also do a Pro version with a higher mAh, I've been using them for a few years, excellent batteries. Didn't they change from Sanyo to Panasonic at one stage? I think the quality remained and have got better with each generation, however there are fakes around so due diligence needed with your purchasing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back