• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

16x and steady views. Sig Zulu6 16x42 (1 Viewer)

rdnzl

Not Sure.
United States
I never would have thought I could view handheld at 16X with binoculars. But here it is. I stood on my back porch and read signs with fairly small print at well over a block away. Image is pretty darned good as well. Nice and sharp with good color and in focus all the way to the edge. I have no idea how well these will work with the night sky, but I'm guessing they will be great on the moon. Turn off the IS and I'm jumping all over the place. Turn it on, and the view steadies up real nice. Even if I move my arms around, the image is still not jittery. In fact, I can intentionally move them up and down quite a bit and the object is still viewable in detail. Pretty impressive. I know that the field of view isn't wide, but it doesn't feel cramped or tunnel like at all.

Kind of goofy looking, and the focus knob falls under my ring finger. I wish it was closer, but it works. The eyepieces are comfortable and adjust out to where I get the full view with no blackouts. They are amazingly lightweight. 20 ounces I think. Came with a decent case and strap. Pretty good warranty too.

IMG_3882 2.jpegIMG_3885 2.jpeg

I never would have thought I could view handheld at 16X with binoculars. But here it is. I stood on my back porch and read signs with fairly small print at well over a block away. Image is pretty darned good as well. Nice and sharp with good color and in focus all the way to the edge. I have no idea how well these will work with the night sky, but I'm guessing they will be great on the moon. Turn off the IS and I'm jumping all over the place. Turn it on, and the view steadies up real nice. Even if I move my arms around, the image is still not jittery. In fact, I can intentionally move them up and down quite a bit and the object is still viewable in detail. Pretty impressive. I know that the field of view isn't wide, but it doesn't feel cramped or tunnel like at all.

Kind of goofy looking, and the focus knob falls under my ring finger. I wish it was closer, but it works. The eyepieces are comfortable and adjust out to where I get the full view with no blackouts. They are amazingly lightweight. 20 ounces I think. Came with a decent case and strap. Pretty good warranty too.

View attachment 1511129View attachment 1511130
Nice , just wondering if the Zulu 6 are China or Japan Sourced ?

Not many birds out right now, but I was able to follow a squirrel as he bounced around my yard, with ease. And when I sat in a chair with my elbows on the armrests, it was like they were on a tripod. To my non golden eyes, the glass is pretty good on them.

And I'll also add that being able to one hand a 16x binocular is really cool.

They look very similar to the Kites, which are quite good performers for the price. I would guess they'll be the same optical design / same manufacturer behind them kind of thing.

Aren't these made by Kamakura in their Chinese factory?
It's a slightly confusing situation with all these IS-binos. These 16x42 models are sold by many different brands with only slight design changes. But I think the first 16x42 from Kite was "made in Japan". Since Kamakura is a Japanese company, it's probably not too far fetched to think they have more than one factory where these are made. So these might all be the same Kamakura-design, the first ones being made in Japan, the next production batch moved to China.
It would be quite similar to Casio for instance with factories in China, Thailand and Japan. Or the Canon IS models that were first made in Japan and now in Taiwan.
Kenko also makes IS-binos but I see no 16x42 on their homepage. Noticed a nice new 8x21 however.

They look like the Fujinon Technostabi 16x28, so they were probably both designed by Kamakura, but that is not a bad thing. From B&H website.

1672233341_1742583.jpg

i looked them up and the SS site said 'Discontinued'!
They were discontinued. They are replaced with a newer model called the Zulu 6 HDX which has some some changes including better HDX glass and two settings for the IS. One for panning and one for for spotting called a target mode which gives you better stabilization. They are considerably more expensive though at almost $1100.

Last edited:
All the mentioned models, I believe are from Kamakura with slight changes to the bodies. I had looked into the HDX but it crossed my threshold of value for the dollar. I really like these. I can't overstate how great it is to be able to use one hand on occasion, and have a stabile image. The on/off switch could be improved if it was a button or a slider, but I'm getting used to it. Same with the focuser. It falls directly under my ring finger, and takes some getting used to. The battery housing "bump" on the bottom is a bit odd in terms of grasping the bino. But again, it just takes some getting used to. Its not a bad thing, it's just different.

The eyecups are great, and would satisfy those who hate Canon's rubber cups.

I have viewed through a Canon 15x50 and the view was nice, but the size and weight put them in another category. These are grab and go, light and easy to hold for long periods. The Canon is a neck and arm buster.

All in all, a great piece of kit, in my opinion. 16x that's stabile without a tripod. Pretty sweet. I wonder since it's discontinued in favor of the HDX, there might be a price drop in the future?

All the mentioned models, I believe are from Kamakura with slight changes to the bodies. I had looked into the HDX but it crossed my threshold of value for the dollar. I really like these. I can't overstate how great it is to be able to use one hand on occasion, and have a stabile image. The on/off switch could be improved if it was a button or a slider, but I'm getting used to it. Same with the focuser. It falls directly under my ring finger, and takes some getting used to. The battery housing "bump" on the bottom is a bit odd in terms of grasping the bino. But again, it just takes some getting used to. Its not a bad thing, it's just different.

The eyecups are great, and would satisfy those who hate Canon's rubber cups.

I have viewed through a Canon 15x50 and the view was nice, but the size and weight put them in another category. These are grab and go, light and easy to hold for long periods. The Canon is a neck and arm buster.

All in all, a great piece of kit, in my opinion. 16x that's stabile without a tripod. Pretty sweet. I wonder since it's discontinued in favor of the HDX, there might be a price drop in the future?
What did you pay for yours, and where did you get it? I think I might try one. I have crossed over to the Dark Side of IS binoculars and I have almost all IS binoculars now except for the Swarovski Habicht 7x42 for low light and a Nikon SE 8x32 because I like the porro view.

They were 799 on the 'Zon. I think a couple weeks ago they were 750. But I didn't want to wait and see if they would drop again.

They were 799 on the 'Zon. I think a couple weeks ago they were 750. But I didn't want to wait and see if they would drop again.
Yes, I bought them for $799 on Amazon.com from a seller called ABCD Sales. Have you had any experience with them? They seem a little slow to ship.

The seller on mine was

Mantle Worldwide LLC​

I ordered on the 16th, got them yesterday, the 20th.

I am interested in your take on these IS binos. I'm having fun with mine.

Make sure they still have the intact factory logo tape holding the lid on the box. It has the Sig logo.

Last edited:
The seller on mine was

Mantle Worldwide LLC​

I ordered on the 16th, got them yesterday, the 20th.

I am interested in your take on these IS binos. I'm having fun with mine.

Make sure they still have the intact factory logo tape holding the lid on the box. It has the Sig logo.
Thanks! I will look for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back