• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

18 weeks jail for taking Peregrine eggs. (2 Viewers)

He deserves more than 18 weeks (or even months) in the can. I wonder if that's enough of a deterrent at all.
Bear in mind that often these kind of wildlife crimes (including poisoning of raptors) don't have any prison term, or paltry fines for a wealthy estate. At least this is something ...

EDIT for clarity:

Bear in mind that often these kind of wildlife crimes (including poisoning of raptors) don't result in any prison term, or paltry fines for a wealthy estate. At least this is something ...

Last edited:
Bear in mind that often these kind of wildlife crimes (including poisoning of raptors) don't have any prison term, or paltry fines for a wealthy estate. At least this is something ...
That is incorrect. Killing raptors carries sentences up to six months in prison. It is however rare for justices to risk losing their shoot invites by imposing them.

John

That is incorrect. Killing raptors carries sentences up to six months in prison. It is however rare for justices to risk losing their shoot invites by imposing them.

John
Note the 'often' in my post.

Maybe swap out 'have' for 'result in' to be clearer.

It's sadly true that sometimes (often?) no conviction is made for shooting Hen Harriers, random poisoned birds found or tagged birds disappearances etc etc ...

I am not surprised by this person’s actions. Looking at the bigger picture, look at what we do to each other … out of greed, hate. Thousands of people young and old being killed everyday due to land disputes (wars).

John
Quite, and it's instructive this fellow was stealing them for the Arab market rather than destroying the clutch (and the adult birds into the bargain) for "game management". In which case the standard tariff would have been a slap on the wrist and a telling off.

Perhaps worth noting that he got 8 weeks for taking the Peregrine eggs, and 10 weeks for unrelated shoplifting offences. While it's gratifying that he at least got some jail time, I've seen claims that British Peregrine eggs go for $25,000 each in the Middle East, so half an hour's abseiling could have yielded $75,000. He should have got a minimum sentence of 2 years.

"The RSPB believe the eggs would have been hatched out in an incubator before the birds were sold, probably abroad, as captive reared, which is legal."

If this is true, then the solution to the problem aren't prison sentences (they generally aren't solution to most problems) but closing these stupid legal loopholes.

I've seen claims that British Peregrine eggs go for $25,000 each in the Middle East, so half an hour's abseiling could have yielded $75,000.
If that were the case, quite a few more Scottish estates would probably tolerate peregrines on their land! I bow to those with more knowledge of the black market in eggs, of course, but at the egg stage you haven't a clue whether they'll hatch into females (more desired) or tiercels; and the Arabs prefer wild-caught birds anyway (at least for actual hunting, as opposed to perversions of the falcon-owning tradition such as beauty contests or falcon racing). No doubt there is a market for them, but as with most things I'd suspect the actual getting prices are a lot lower than what has been claimed, or reported in the tabloids.

That's not to say that these sorts of offences should go unpunished, of course. Given the reported destination of the stolen eggs, the relevant Sharia punishment would be most poetic justice in this case. It's kinda hard to climb down to a nest ledge with one hand...

"The RSPB believe the eggs would have been hatched out in an incubator before the birds were sold, probably abroad, as captive reared, which is legal."

If this is true, then the solution to the problem aren't prison sentences (they generally aren't solution to most problems) but closing these stupid legal loopholes.
The" loophole", while stupid, is relatively recent, and criminals tend not to worry about breaking laws. What would your proposed punishment be for egg thieves if you think prison isn't a solution? A stern talking-to?

If that were the case, quite a few more Scottish estates would probably tolerate peregrines on their land! I bow to those with more knowledge of the black market in eggs, of course, but at the egg stage you haven't a clue whether they'll hatch into females (more desired) or tiercels; and the Arabs prefer wild-caught birds anyway (at least for actual hunting, as opposed to perversions of the falcon-owning tradition such as beauty contests or falcon racing). No doubt there is a market for them, but as with most things I'd suspect the actual getting prices are a lot lower than what has been claimed, or reported in the tabloids.

That's not to say that these sorts of offences should go unpunished, of course. Given the reported destination of the stolen eggs, the relevant Sharia punishment would be most poetic justice in this case. It's kinda hard to climb down to a nest ledge with one hand...
I'm not really sure what point you are trying to make. Here's one from the Guardian from 2010:

"A businessman was jailed for 30 months today after he admitted trying to smuggle rare peregrine falcon eggs to Dubai.

Jeffrey Lendrum, 48, was caught with 14 eggs strapped to his body at Birmingham international airport on 3 May after he was spotted acting suspiciously by a cleaner. He had wrapped the eggs, worth £70,000, in socks before taping them to his chest."

The" loophole", while stupid, is relatively recent, and criminals tend not to worry about breaking laws. What would your proposed punishment be for egg thieves if you think prison isn't a solution? A stern talking-to?
If one uses a motor vehicle while going to or leaving the crime scene …… confiscate their motor vehicle and suspend their driving privileges for at least a year

Jailing petty thieves doesn't really help, there always be more as long as the activity is profitable. Actual solutions are

1. make the activity not profitable - if it leads to legally realized profits, that definitely has to change. Tighter controls on illegal trade - custom checks, seizing of property, liquidation of offending companies etc...

2. societal changes removing the motivation of people to engage in such illegal activities. There are no thieves where there are no poor people.

If one uses a motor vehicle while going to or leaving the crime scene …… confiscate their motor vehicle and suspend their driving privileges for at least a year
Those have already been used as punishments in the UK for prolific egg thieves.

Jailing petty thieves doesn't really help, there always be more as long as the activity is profitable. Actual solutions are

1. make the activity not profitable - if it leads to legally realized profits, that definitely has to change. Tighter controls on illegal trade - custom checks, seizing of property, liquidation of offending companies etc...

2. societal changes removing the motivation of people to engage in such illegal activities. There are no thieves where there are no poor people.
1. You can't make an activity not profitable so long as there is a demand, and there's only so far you can go to prevent smuggling. Remind me how well the "war on drugs" is working.

2. Not all thieves are poor, and "societal change" doesn't eradicate crime. The City is full of wealthy crooks. The man convicted in the present case is a tree surgeon and drug addict. His life choices are on him, not "society".

Some truth in the second sentence I suppose. Crime is very low in Monaco and Switzerland. But, if any of us feel that we could achieve a similar society in our own country, we should run for president!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back