• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

1cy male Taiga Flycatcher? September Eastern Mongolia (1 Viewer)

__Mona__

Germany
Hello there,
this individual was found on 8th of September 2023 about 150 km east of Ulaanbaatar. Would you agree on Taiga Flycatcher, and, because of the to the upper chin restricted orange throat colouring, on 1cy male? No phots of the back feathers/tips available.
Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20230908_070109_Taiga Camp_Taigaschnäpper-3.jpg
    20230908_070109_Taiga Camp_Taigaschnäpper-3.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
Hello there,
this individual was found on 8th of September 2023 about 150 km east of Ulaanbaatar. Would you agree on Taiga Flycatcher, and, because of the to the upper chin restricted orange throat colouring, on 1cy male? No phots of the back feathers/tips available.
Thanks in advance!
Your bird is brightly lit but appears to show a suggestion of mainly cold, grey-toned breast band + extent of orange throat indicating overwhelmingly more likely Taiga. Ageing is less straightforward. Following post breeding moult adult males often show restricted orange feathering to the throat but note, in rare cases, 1st-w males can similarly show orange throats. I believe this was the case involving a recent 1st-w male in Norway. In short, your bird is a male but cannot be reliably aged without further examining the patterns of the greater coverts and middle tertial.

Grahame

Last edited:
I think this bird can be aged on tail shape, obvious pointed tips are typical of a first-winter Taiga. Interesting bird though, I hardly ever see birds with red on the throat here in HK.
A very good point Paul, so early in the season the difference is pretty obvious as it surely is here. Norevik et al say red throat is extremely rare in 1st-w's.

Grahame

Last edited:
I think this bird can be aged on tail shape, obvious pointed tips are typical of a first-winter Taiga. Interesting bird though, I hardly ever see birds with red on the throat here in HK.
Indeed a good understanding of the details, thanks for that hint! Yes, that was also my impression on the three weeks trip in Eastern Mongolia during August/September - many Taiga Flycatchers but no adult males and just as little any slightly red tinged throats on any birds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back